Windows XP USB Devices Problems

Reaction score
Hi,

I am having a problem with all USB storage devices including flash drives, external hard disks, and memory cards (attached to an external USB reader). The device appears in My Computer, and the computer recognizes the device properly.

When I right click>properties>hardware I see the device's name. I can also see next to the space pie graph that it has 0 space allocated, with a file system of RAW. Entering the device's advanced options, clicking (right click,>properties>hardware>double click device>Volume) I can see the drive's amount of memory correctly (storage size), but it has 0 allocated space and 0 available, and clicking populate yields no partitions.

Other USB devices (a mouse and a printer/scanner) are functioning normally.

Computer Specifications:
Windows XP SP2
Intel Pentium 4 2.4 GHz
512 MB RAM

I had Kaspersky Internet Security, but was not working properly (updates mostly) even after several reinstalls - worked like a charm on my laptop though, also XP. Perhaps Kaspersky caused the problem??

Thanks in advanced.

Edit:

Forgot to mention the most important fact...trying to open the drive would give me the "Device not formatted, format now?". I tried formatting a spare flash drive in all possible combinations (FAT/FAT32, and Quick/not quick format), but I always get format failed. Tried it on my laptop afterwards and worked fine, the format attempt didn't even do a thing to the drive.

Last edited:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
For me, USB has been the biggest joke since Windows 95 introduced it ... it never worked then, and still don't work as intended.

Here, save yourself some headaches ...

http://www.usbman.com/

:thumb:

Reaction score
Well I went through the site and looked around for quite a while but couldn't find my problem anywhere.

Reaction score
system32_freak said:
Hi,

(attached to an external USB reader).

name and model of said external reader would help....
nod.gif

Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
name and model of said external reader would help....
nod.gif

The best I could find is this XD:

"USB 2.0 - 19 in 1 Card Reader/Writer" on front

On back:

"Tested to comply with CC standards. For home or office use only" and a Made in China under that with Fcc logo and CE logo. Brandless product I suppose, but it worked perfectly for years. In fact I just checked it on my laptop and is working fine.

Just found it by a google image search "19 in 1 card reader"... quite lucky.

http://buy.ebay.vn/buying/vn/display/120347362682_19IN1-USB-20-MEMORY-CARD-READER-FOR-SMCFXDSDMS

Not in English though. Ran it through google translate, but I didn't find any model name.

Hope this helps

MTP

Reaction score
dodgy ebay chinese junk.

thats my suggestion, been there done that.

it works but it doesnt work? or you can format it on your laptop but it wont show as formatted on the desktop? im confused.

and is it a reader/storage device or a combo?

my advice. throw it away and buy another one, where im at you can buy a 8gb flash/minisd/sd/whatever for under 25 bucks, which in UK dosh is bugger all.

problem solv-ed

:)

Reaction score
The issue here is not with the card reader. It works absolutely fine (excellent actually).

The problem is with the computer: anytime I open ANY USB Storage devices (flash drives, external hard disk, and this memory card reader) It says it's not formatted, would you like to format? Right click>properties says that the file system is RAW.

The thing with the laptop is that I have tested the USB devices on the laptop INCLUDING the memory card reader, and they all work fine.

Oh and by the way, I just noticed that I had written this:

"including flash drives, external hard disks, and memory cards (attached to an external USB reader)."

which may have caused the confusion (should have been external memory card reader). It's only the memory card that I attached to the memory card reader, not the flash drives and external hard disk. I plug those in directly.

Hope this clears any confusion.

Reaction score
system32_freak said:
The issue here is not with the card reader. It works absolutely fine (excellent actually).

The problem is with the computer: anytime I open ANY USB Storage devices (flash drives, external hard disk, and this memory card reader) It says it's not formatted, would you like to format? Right click>properties says that the file system is RAW.

The thing with the laptop is that I have tested the USB devices on the laptop INCLUDING the memory card reader, and they all work fine.

Oh and by the way, I just noticed that I had written this:

"including flash drives, external hard disks, and memory cards (attached to an external USB reader)."

which may have caused the confusion (should have been external memory card reader). It's only the memory card that I attached to the memory card reader, not the flash drives and external hard disk. I plug those in directly.

Hope this clears any confusion.

Ok that sort of does clear it up a bit .....Go into Computer Management > Devoce Manager and see iff all drives for Universal Serial Bus Controllers are all in good shape..Try updating them and see what happens then...

Reaction score
Well they're in good shape and absolutely fine. Tried to update, but said "wizard could not find a better match for your hardware than the software you currently have installed."

While in computer management, I checked "Disk Management" too. It's normal has correct disk size and healthy too, but no partition type (since the computer thinks they're all RAW)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Please tell me the make & model motherboard ... I'm especially interested to see if it's a VIA or SIS chipset MB, 'cos they suck big time for USB problems.

:user:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score

Ask a Question