USB 2 card hangs

Reaction score
I have a PC which had usb 1 ports. I installed a 4 port usb 2 controller. The card has a VIA chipset. The printer works ok. Transfers of small amounts of data work ok.

I have a 4 gb card from my camera. If I try and transfer lots of images (say 200 meg and upwards) the transfer freezes after a few files. All the icons disappear from the desktop and I am just left with the wallpaper. There sometimes seems to be some corruption of the OS after this - USB devices not recognised and lots of occurences of the Desktop in Explorer. I can get the desktop icons back by running explorer from task manager.

(On a couple of occasions the card was corrupt after this problem and I had to re-format it)

I have tried updating all the drivers on the PC with no success. The usb1 ports continue to function with no problems.

Motherboard is asus 24b266

OS is XP Service Pack 3

Processor is a Pentium 4

Any suggestions appreciated

Peter

Reaction score
The card does not seem to have a brand name but the chip is a VIA VT6212L.

I am using a usb extension lead to plug devices in as the new sockets are on the back of the system unit under the desk. I have found some threads on the web that suggest this can cause problems. The cable is 0.5 metres long and stamped as fully rated usb - it is new.

I have three PCI slots and have tried the card in all three - this does not seem to have made any difference.

Peter

Ask a Question