USB 2.0 Hub seems to prevent startup in XP

marcnielsen

Hi folks,

I've been using a USB 1.1 Hub for several years. It's always been a
bottleneck for my USB 2.0 External Drives so I bought a USB 2.0 hub.
It has its own power supply.

It works fine if you plug into my computer whilst it is up and
running... a few seconds later my external drives show up nicely and
the through-put is much faster as expected.

However, when I reboot my machine with the USB 2.0 hub connected... the
computer (running XP Pro SP 2) hangs in the startup - can't even escape
to my bios.

If I unplug the hub and then reboot, it works?????

Anybody heard of this happening any ideas???? I could go back to my
USB 1.1 hub..... but I spent a solid $15 on my USB 2.0 hub :)

Thanks in advance.

boaz

Hi folks,

I've been using a USB 1.1 Hub for several years. It's always been a
bottleneck for my USB 2.0 External Drives so I bought a USB 2.0 hub.
It has its own power supply.

It works fine if you plug into my computer whilst it is up and
running... a few seconds later my external drives show up nicely and
the through-put is much faster as expected.

However, when I reboot my machine with the USB 2.0 hub connected... the
computer (running XP Pro SP 2) hangs in the startup - can't even escape
to my bios.

If I unplug the hub and then reboot, it works?????

Anybody heard of this happening any ideas???? I could go back to my
USB 1.1 hub..... but I spent a solid $15 on my USB 2.0 hub :)

Thanks in advance.

I have the same problem all the time. Usually when the temperature is cold.

When it is crashing, the light in my mouse will not turn on. So, I am
thinking the stuffs plugged to my computer overload all the USB ports. So,
I unplug the mouse and plug it to the PS/2 port instead of the USB port.

I also notice that every 2 USB ports are actually plugged to 1 plug on the
motherboard. So, I seperate the stuffs and plug them in different USB
ports.

The computer still sometimes will not start but it is not as often as it was
before.

Loren Pechtel

Hi folks,

I've been using a USB 1.1 Hub for several years. It's always been a
bottleneck for my USB 2.0 External Drives so I bought a USB 2.0 hub.
It has its own power supply.

It works fine if you plug into my computer whilst it is up and
running... a few seconds later my external drives show up nicely and
the through-put is much faster as expected.

However, when I reboot my machine with the USB 2.0 hub connected... the
computer (running XP Pro SP 2) hangs in the startup - can't even escape
to my bios.

If I unplug the hub and then reboot, it works?????

Anybody heard of this happening any ideas???? I could go back to my
USB 1.1 hub..... but I spent a solid $15 on my USB 2.0 hub :)

Thanks in advance.

I've had a hub with the same behavior.

The problem appears to be that the hub is feeding power back through
the lines meant to supply power to the hub. If that hub is plugged in
the little light on my motherboard that says it's powered will glow
even if I unplug the computer entirely--the only place the power could
possibly be coming from is back through those wires. The machine
won't post in that state, either.

Cymbal Man Freq.

I'm on 98SE and my Lexar flash drive needs to be unplugged from the hub when
booting or else the machine hangs while checking the USB 2 PCI card that the hub
is connected to.

Jim Macklin

Then unplug it>

"Cymbal Man Freq." <Don't (e-mail address removed)>
wrote in message
| I'm on 98SE and my Lexar flash drive needs to be unplugged
from the hub when
| booting or else the machine hangs while checking the USB 2
PCI card that the hub
| is connected to.

Yves Leclerc

Do you truly have a USB 2.0 port in your computer? Just because you place a
USB 2.0 hub onto your PC, it does not make the "nase" port USB 2.0 compatible.

Also, is the hub "self-powered" or does it get its power from the USB ports?