Windows XP urlmon.dll error

Reaction score
operating system: Windows XP

Anit-Virus Software: McAfee

DSL Cable Router

"The Application or DLL C:\WINDOWS\system32\urlmon.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette"

most of my programs will not start when the error pops up

Reaction score
HAve you run any sort of virus scans etc to see if you have not per chance picked up a nasty..As judging by your other posts you have made, including the one Muckshifter closed, i'd say you have a nasty on your computer..

Try the following and see what is picked up...

1.) Trend Micro Online Scanner
2.)KAspersky online scanner
When you have run those, see what they have picked up. then download/install and run the following.
1.)Super Anti Spyware
2.)Spybot Search & Destroy

When all this is done see if anything has been picked up. Also do yourself a favour and get some decent AV installed.Get rid of McAfee. Get yourself something like Kaspersky. You can't go wrong with that, or even try one of the many half decent free ones you can get on the net. (MadX gone mad recomending free AV :p)

Reaction score

Madxgraphics said:
Zed, comments like that chase new members away..In future if you haven't got anything relevant to add to the thread, don't add anything at all....:mad:

Apologies MadX....wont happen again

Reaction score
i tried using the online scanners but it says i dont have Java installed so i cant use it...and when i try to download java my AV blocks me from doing so...i also cant open McAfee to change settings or uninstall it....sorry if im being a burden

Reaction score
Hi There,
You should be able to find to find instructions for mcaffee here

http://netsecurity.about.com/od/stepbystep/ss/aastepmcafeeav_4.htm

Also, you can uninstall most programs from the programs/features area in your control panel but i would rather utilise what you have instead of getting rid of it just cos you cant navigate your way around it.
My advice is keep trying with it and you will eventually get what you want from it.
Zzzzz

Last edited:

Ask a Question