[URGENT] userinit.exe

G

hi...
I-m posting from debian, but i need to run my windows 2000 adv. serv. again, and soon.
the thing is that i deleted the key value from the registry which refers to userinit.exe
which i think it is located at

then, i rebooted the PC, and then tried to login, the login was ok, the desktop begun showing, but then i saw "Saving your preferences" or something like that (the message when u turn off your pc or when u close your session, in spanish) and then it went back to the login screen !!

look: i never saw the userinit.exe in the start list, so i thought it was a trojan. and well.. this are my limitations to fix the problem.

my pc starts with LILO, the linux loader, so i cannot but with CDROM.
i must find a way from linux or other stuff to edit the registry and restore back again, or do something, but plz post a solution coz i can become mad soon, very very mad !!! i work with websites, etc. and need this urgent to work... :'(

thanks a lot

J

Jerold Schulman

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004 16:10:01 -0700, "Henry from Argentina" <Henry from
hi...
I-m posting from debian, but i need to run my windows 2000 adv. serv. again, and soon.
the thing is that i deleted the key value from the registry which refers to userinit.exe
which i think it is located at

then, i rebooted the PC, and then tried to login, the login was ok, the desktop begun showing, but then i saw "Saving your preferences" or something like that (the message when u turn off your pc or when u close your session, in spanish) and then it went back to the login screen !!

look: i never saw the userinit.exe in the start list, so i thought it was a trojan. and well.. this are my limitations to fix the problem.

my pc starts with LILO, the linux loader, so i cannot but with CDROM.
i must find a way from linux or other stuff to edit the registry and restore back again, or do something, but plz post a solution coz i can become mad soon, very very mad !!! i work with websites, etc. and need this urgent to work... :'(

thanks a lot

If you have another partition, install an alternate copy of W2K.
Use it to offline edit the registry/
See tips 74 and 182 in the 'Tips & Tricks' at http://www.jsiinc.com

Jerold Schulman
Windows: General MVP
JSI, Inc.
http://www.jsiinc.com

N

Nathan

-----Original Message-----
well..
I'm trying to find a way to boot from any cd-rom...

Well the booting from CD should not care about LILO or
Debian or Win2K. It's booted from the BIOS.

Folow the tips suggested, and good luck! :)

Ask a Question