Upgrading Win98 to XP and it freezes at finishing installation

Jennifer

I've restarted the upgrade 4 times. BIOS has been
updated, and imcompatbile software has been uninstalled
prior to upgrade. The last phase of the upgrade,
finishing installation it hangs with 24 minutes
remaining. I left it on overnight and it stays at the
same spot. Any suggestions?

How do I get XP off and back to Win98?

I appreciate your help.
Jennifer

Steven Liu [MSFT]

Hi Jennifer,

Since the upgrade hang, I think it still caused by the incompatible
drivers.

First, please make sure you have disabled the anti virus application before
upgrading the Windows.

If this does not work, how about perform the clean install? This will be
more stable for the system.

Please backup the data before doing this.

If you like to upgrade the system, would you please tell me when the
computer hangs? (Please tell me the detail message displays on the screen,
which step the system hangs).

Please also search teh setupapi.log and the C:\Windows\Setupact.log to me.
I will check them and give you the further suggestion.

Thanks for using Microsoft News Group!

Sincerely,

Steven Liu

Microsoft Online Partner Support

MCSE 2000

This posting is provided ¡°as is¡± with no warranties and confers no rights.