upgrading win2k adv server to a new hardware

JeffO

Dangerous.
Installations really latch onto the hard
drive/controller/mobo.
You really need a Ghost first so you can go back.

Uninstall everything you can from Device Manager.
Definitely do not change the drive type. If you have a
spare identical drive, you ought to Ghost to it and use
it as a guinea pig. (RAID boot would make this kind of
impossible.)
After gutting Device Manager, shut down, swap the
hardware, power up. Everything should PnP.

Haven't done it with mobo/CPU swap. Hard drive swap seems
impossible.

If you try and fail, and you have any budget, "Connected
TLM" is a backup product that might be your salvation.
You would backup your entire computer (using the "Rules
Wizard" setting. Then you'd rebuild your server with the
new hardware and install only the OS and Connected TLM.
Then you tell Connected to do a full restore.
Reboot and it's like nothing happened.
Because the OS is installed fresh, and the Rules Wizard
won't backup/restore certain dynamic or volatile files or
reg keys, I think this will work.

Wolf Kirchmeir

Dangerous.
Installations really latch onto the hard
drive/controller/mobo....snip...

The following post by Bruce Cambers refers to relevant articles. I don't
know if the issues addressed include W2K Server, but I'm sure issues specific
to that version are addressed on the MS website -- which IMO should be
bookmarked by everybody.
From: "Bruce Chambers" <[email protected]>
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.hardware
Subject: Re: New Computer, but W2K refuses to run
Date: Fri, 20 Jun 2003 18:43:17 -0600

Greetings --

Normally, unless the new motherboard is virtually identical to the old one
(same chipset, IDE controllers, etc), you'll most likely need to perform a
repair (a.k.a. in-place upgrade) installation, at the very least (and don't
forget to reinstall any service packs and subsequent hot fixes):

How to Perform an In-Place Upgrade of Windows 2000
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q292175

What an In-Place Win2K Upgrade Changes and What It Doesn't
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q306952

If that fails:

How to Move a Windows 2000 Installation to Different
Hardware
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q249694&ID=KB;EN-US;Q2
49694

Bruce Chambers