Update failure

Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with
error 0x80070643: Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 2.0
(KB922770).
What is the cause of this error? (I have no firewall or antivirus turned on
when updating.)

I have exactly the same problem. Anyone have a fix? I assume this may be
because I've deleted an older KBXXXXXX update that is required to be detected
before update KB922770 can be installed.

TaurArian [MS-MVP]

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100
When you try to install the security update that security bulletin MS06-033 describes
(917283) on a computer that is running the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0, the computer
may stop responding or you may receive the following error code:
0x643
Applies to: KB922770 also

--

==================================
TaurArian [MS-MVP] 2005-2007 - Australia

| Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with
| error 0x80070643: Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 2.0
| (KB922770).
| What is the cause of this error? (I have no firewall or antivirus turned on
| when updating.)

Thank You for your reply.
Running XP Professional Version 5.1 SP2. Cannot install KB922770. Error
message Ox64C.

Can't uninstall NET Framework 2.0, getting an error message, send report to
Microsoft.( I did) It says Framework was not installed properly. I also have
NET Framework 1.0 and Hotfix KB886903 installed. A bit of a novice here so
wasn't sure if NET 1.0 was part of the original Windows installation and
should be left or also removed. I bought my computer preinstalled and don't
have a Windows XP disc.

Would appreciate advice on how to get around this problem.
Thank You kindly,
Tingles

TaurArian [MS-MVP] advise worked for me, but I too couldn't unistall .Net
2.0. So, I used the Windwos Installer Cleanup utility,
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301, to remove .Net 2.0 and then I was
able to complete the http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100 instructions.

thx
-jsh

TaurArian said:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100
When you try to install the security update that security bulletin MS06-033 describes
(917283) on a computer that is running the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0, the computer
may stop responding or you may receive the following error code:
0x643
Applies to: KB922770 also

--

==================================
TaurArian [MS-MVP] 2005-2007 - Australia
==================================
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
Need more help? http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=ph;en-us;6527
(Links to web pages and MSKB Articles are posted for the purposes of keeping the
information current)

| Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with
| error 0x80070643: Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 2.0
| (KB922770).
| What is the cause of this error? (I have no firewall or antivirus turned on
| when updating.)

TaurArian [MS-MVP]

Don't worry about Framework 1.1.
Use jsh02_nova's suggetsion about the Windows Cleanup Utility to assist you in the
removal of Net Framework 2.
Use the utility with care and only remove the references to Framework 2.

--

==================================
TaurArian [MS-MVP] 2005-2007 - Australia
==================================
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
Need more help? http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=ph;en-us;6527
(Links to web pages and MSKB Articles are posted for the purposes of keeping the
information current)

| Thank You for your reply.
| Running XP Professional Version 5.1 SP2. Cannot install KB922770. Error
| message Ox64C.
|
| Can't uninstall NET Framework 2.0, getting an error message, send report to
| Microsoft.( I did) It says Framework was not installed properly. I also have
| NET Framework 1.0 and Hotfix KB886903 installed. A bit of a novice here so
| wasn't sure if NET 1.0 was part of the original Windows installation and
| should be left or also removed. I bought my computer preinstalled and don't
| have a Windows XP disc.
|
| Would appreciate advice on how to get around this problem.
| Thank You kindly,
| Tingles
|

| "TaurArian [MS-MVP]" wrote:
|
| > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100
| > When you try to install the security update that security bulletin MS06-033
describes
| > (917283) on a computer that is running the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0, the
computer
| > may stop responding or you may receive the following error code:
| > 0x643
| > Applies to: KB922770 also
| >

| > --
| >
| > ==================================
| > TaurArian [MS-MVP] 2005-2007 - Australia
| > ==================================
| > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| > Need more help? http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=ph;en-us;6527
| > (Links to web pages and MSKB Articles are posted for the purposes of keeping the
| > information current)

| > | error 0x80070643: Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 2.0
| > | (KB922770).
| > | What is the cause of this error? (I have no firewall or antivirus turned on
| > | when updating.)

Thank You jsh02_nova & TaurArian for your help !!! I was able to uninstall
NET Framework 2.0 with the Windows Clean Up Utility, reinstall it from the
link posted above and successfully install the update. Much appreciated !!!
Thanks again.

TaurArian said:
Don't worry about Framework 1.1.
Use jsh02_nova's suggetsion about the Windows Cleanup Utility to assist you in the
removal of Net Framework 2.
Use the utility with care and only remove the references to Framework 2.

--

==================================
TaurArian [MS-MVP] 2005-2007 - Australia
==================================
http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
Need more help? http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=ph;en-us;6527
(Links to web pages and MSKB Articles are posted for the purposes of keeping the
information current)

| Thank You for your reply.
| Running XP Professional Version 5.1 SP2. Cannot install KB922770. Error
| message Ox64C.
|
| Can't uninstall NET Framework 2.0, getting an error message, send report to
| Microsoft.( I did) It says Framework was not installed properly. I also have
| NET Framework 1.0 and Hotfix KB886903 installed. A bit of a novice here so
| wasn't sure if NET 1.0 was part of the original Windows installation and
| should be left or also removed. I bought my computer preinstalled and don't
| have a Windows XP disc.
|
| Would appreciate advice on how to get around this problem.
| Thank You kindly,
| Tingles
|

| "TaurArian [MS-MVP]" wrote:
|
| > http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923100
| > When you try to install the security update that security bulletin MS06-033
describes
| > (917283) on a computer that is running the Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0, the
computer
| > may stop responding or you may receive the following error code:
| > 0x643
| > Applies to: KB922770 also
| >

| > --
| >
| > ==================================
| > TaurArian [MS-MVP] 2005-2007 - Australia
| > ==================================
| > http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
| > Need more help? http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=ph;en-us;6527
| > (Links to web pages and MSKB Articles are posted for the purposes of keeping the
| > information current)

| > | error 0x80070643: Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework, Version 2.0
| > | (KB922770).
| > | What is the cause of this error? (I have no firewall or antivirus turned on
| > | when updating.)

Wayne Wengert

Same here. Finally got all the updates installed.

Wayne

Tingles said:
Thank You jsh02_nova & TaurArian for your help !!! I was able to uninstall
NET Framework 2.0 with the Windows Clean Up Utility, reinstall it from
the
link posted above and successfully install the update. Much appreciated
!!!
Thanks again.