Up directory button in SP1 ?

Barry Arrows

Will SP1 give us back the long missed up directory button in explorer?

I think it was a mistake to remove that button, they should at least have
given their customers the choice to ad that button if they wanted to.

I would change the 'burn button' to a 'up directory button' in a heart beat
if I could.

If a up directory button isn't introduced with SP1 does anybody know of a
FREE third party app that will give me just that and nothing more?

Please don't tell me that I will have to pay these guys 5$ for a simple
button that should have been in vistas explorer in the first time:
http://mavisapps.com/up-button/

I wish you all a great week end :)

Barry Arrows

Paul said:
What's so hard about using the far-superior bread crumb navigation?

What's so hard about understanding and recognizing that some of us prefer an
up directory button?

Why can't we have both? Why does it have to be so rigid, why not make it
flexible and give people a choice?

Barry Arrows

Chirag said:
Alt+Up keyboard shortcut takes you up a folder. So, instead of the
button, we had a keyboard shortcut. This works pre-SP1 too.

Yes I know about that, but I would really like a button like in XP

cheen

the only way I have seen to get one is to install an add on for windows
explorer

see this link here

Tabbed Explorer Add-on for Windows Vista (and an Up Button too!)

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...dd-on-for-windows-vista-and-an-up-button-too/"Barry Arrows" <[email protected]> wrote in messageChirag wrote:>> Alt+Up keyboard shortcut takes you up a folder. So, instead of the>> button, we had a keyboard shortcut. This works pre-SP1 too.>> Yes I know about that, but I would really like a button like in XP>>

Synapse Syndrome

Barry Arrows said:
Yes I know about that, but I would really like a button like in XP

Vista has been dumbed down in too many ways as it is. If you are too much
of a retard to figure out the breadcrumb bar, maybe you should appeal for
Microsoft to make a special children's operating system, for children and
other people with special needs, like you.

ss.

Barry Arrows

Synapse said:
Vista has been dumbed down in too many ways as it is. If you are too
much of a retard to figure out the breadcrumb bar, maybe you should
appeal for Microsoft to make a special children's operating system,
for children and other people with special needs, like you.

I never said that I can't figure out how to use the breadcrumb bar,
but I like to use a up directory button and that is what I prefer.

I really don't think that my need is special, I know for a fact that I am
far from the only that miss a up directory button in vistas explorer.

Synapse Syndrome

Synapse Syndrome said:
Vista has been dumbed down in too many ways as it is. If you are too much
of a retard to figure out the breadcrumb bar, maybe you should appeal for
Microsoft to make a special children's operating system, for children and
other people with special needs, like you.

I actually feel it was unfair to say that children are incapable simple
navigation, so I would like to retract what I said about children.

I know children that can use a computer more competently than a few adults I
know, and I was using an Apple ][ when I was eight years old.

So what we need here is a Vista Special Needs Edition, or whatever else the
marketing department feels is appropriate.

ss.

cheen

there is a breadcrumb in Gnome too, on the file manager

However the way its displayed on the screen is far more clear to the user

Its not about the function, but the presentation of the function

Computers should be easy to use, not hard without a reason, and yes easy for
kids and elderly and sick
and disabled people too

Everyone should have access to computers and the internet, not only geeks.

XP was far better at that than vista.. it was simple clear and user
friendly.

The luna theme may have looked childish (fisher price) but it was clear....

and people still love it for that reason, and hate vista for its hidden
menus and perverted non customizable interface.

cheen

you are arrogant

Not all children grow around computers.. there are many childen who have
never seen a computer in their life.

cheen said:
there is a breadcrumb in Gnome too, on the file manager

However the way its displayed on the screen is far more clear to the user

Its not about the function, but the presentation of the function

Computers should be easy to use, not hard without a reason, and yes easy
for kids and elderly and sick
and disabled people too

Everyone should have access to computers and the internet, not only geeks.

XP was far better at that than vista.. it was simple clear and user
friendly.

The luna theme may have looked childish (fisher price) but it was
clear....

and people still love it for that reason, and hate vista for its hidden
menus and perverted non customizable interface.

I agree that XP was a much better OS for its time, and I actually prefer to
use it, as I have been for several months in this newsgroup. The GUI had a
lot more integrity and consistency. The Vista GUI seems half developed in
comparison. The Vista Toolbar is useless, and is a very bad compared to the
genuinely useful Toolbar AND Task Pane that it has replaced.

Your point about navigation needing to be clear for less experienced users
is valid, and I apologise - but the Vista system is better for experienced
users, and one of the few improvements in the Vista GUI.

ss.

Synapse Syndrome

cheen said:
you are arrogant

Not all children grow around computers.. there are many childen who have
never seen a computer in their life.

It does not matter whether a child has seen a computer or not. That was not
the point.

Make it 'all other things being equal', if you have any understanding of
scientific argument:

Children can intuitively understand computers. This is my experience. This
is the general consensus. I have not looked into psychological research
into why this is the case, but it must be due to adults forming rigid ways
of thinking as they grow up, and not being so explorative and evaluative -
being more regimented instead.

Anyway, it's tiring to explain common sense to somebody else, so I'm going
to bed.

ss.

Chris Game

I really don't think that my need is special, I know for a fact
that I am far from the only that miss a up directory button in
vistas explorer.

Hit 'Alt+UpArrow'.

Saucy

Barry Arrows said:
Will SP1 give us back the long missed up directory button in explorer?

I think it was a mistake to remove that button, they should at least have
given their customers the choice to ad that button if they wanted to.

I would change the 'burn button' to a 'up directory button' in a heart
beat if I could.

If a up directory button isn't introduced with SP1 does anybody know of a
FREE third party app that will give me just that and nothing more?

Please don't tell me that I will have to pay these guys 5$ for a simple
button that should have been in vistas explorer in the first time:
http://mavisapps.com/up-button/

I wish you all a great week end :)

Get it onto the wish list for Windows 7.

Saucy

Saucy

Barry Arrows said:
I never said that I can't figure out how to use the breadcrumb bar,
but I like to use a up directory button and that is what I prefer.

I really don't think that my need is special, I know for a fact that I am
far from the only that miss a up directory button in vistas explorer.

D'accord.

Saucy