Unwanted Icons

Bronco Billy

Can any body help?

I have recently downloaded Mozilla Firefox and for some reason all of
the supporting programme files have appeared on my desktop as icons.

I have right clicked and deleted them but they always come back when I
launch Firefox.

I have made sure that when I download Firefox that it is being saved in
program files.

Any help appreciated..............BB

Fitz

You didn't by chance install Firefox into your desktop folder did you? If
so, just uninstall Firefox. Download and install Firefox to a directory in
C:\Program Files.
***

Bronco Billy

Ramesh said:
Bronco,

Type %appdata% in Start/Run.

Which folder is opened?

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com

"Bronco Billy" (e-mail address removed) wrote in message

Can any body help?

I have recently downloaded Mozilla Firefox and for some reason all of
the supporting programme files have appeared on my desktop as icons.

I have right clicked and deleted them but they always come back when
launch Firefox.

I have made sure that when I download Firefox that it is being saved
in
program files.

Any help appreciated..............BB

Thanks for the replys guys,

Fitz.......I made sure I was saving in C/Program files.

Ramesh.......%appdata% when entered in the run box comes up with the
Application Data window.

Tried again this morning and even though I unticked the box that gives
the choice of putting icons on your desktop (From Firefox advanced
install) I still have the same problem......I will try and post a
picture for you......

|Filename: IMG_1204 (Small).JPG |
|Download: http://www.pcbanter.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=2742 |

Ramesh, MS-MVP

Bronco,

Open Regedit.exe and navigate to:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User
Shell Folders

In the right-pane, the AppData value should be of REG_EXPAND_SZ type,
containing the following data:

%USERPROFILE%\Application Data

If it's set incorrectly, fix the entry and then reboot once.

Additional options:

Create a new user account and test the behavior.

How To Create and Configure User Accounts in Windows XP:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=279783

Home - MozillaZine Forums:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/index.php?c=4

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User

Windows XP Troubleshooting
http://www.winhelponline.com

Bronco Billy

Ramesh........

Tried putting in that setting but it didn`t work mate. still get all
those Icons on my desktop. Looks like its not going to be easy.

Bronco Billy

Thanks Ramesh.......

I have opened a question in the support forum for Firefox, Mozzilazine,
but i have not had much luck as yet. It just really frustrates me when I
can`t get things to work how they should.

Cheers............BB