Unusual problem with footnotes in Word document

Reaction score
Hi all

I've received a Word document to use and the author tells us that we need to fix the footnotes as after a certain point half way through the file they go missing. The references in the text are there (superior numbers) but they don't appear at the foot of the page, or at the end of the text. Up to that point the superior numbers in the text (and also in the footnotes themselves) look like they are in a dotted box, which I guess means they are 'proper' footnotes. The superior numbers in the text in the second half of the file are not in little boxes but when I hover over them I get a little rectangular symbol come up and if I hover on it long enough some text appears, the footnote text. So the text is not lost but I'm having problems getting to to come back as footnotes. I can convert all the notes to endnotes, which works, but when I try to convert them all to footnotes again it goes back to how it was previously, except the superior numbers are no longer superior.

This document has been worked on and saved in WordPerfect previously. I have read online that the problem is a consequence of that and the solution is to manually create those footnotes again but this is a 400+ page document so I'm not keen to do that! I found that there were a lot of "Section Break Continuous" before the problem so I took them out and that magically makes the footnotes appear again but when I do my next bit of processing (importing it into Adobe Indesign) that goes wrong too - it puts an extra digit on the footnote numbers.

I did notice that in the Page Setup>Layout screen there's a Suppress endnotes option which is ticked which I thought might explain why the notes in the second half of the job are missing. But it is greyed out so I can't change it.

Sorry about the long post but I thought it's be better if I stated what I'd tried so far. Please help! I'm using Word 2002 SP3 but I don't know what version the author used to edit the file before me.

thanks

Ask a Question