Unusual Entry in WinXP Start up Files

G

Hi,

I'm having major problems with my XP system as a result - I think - of 4 failed attempts to install an Audigy soundcard. My system will only fully load XP to my desktop IF I run "chkdsk c: /F". Otherwise, it boots to the WinXP progress bar with the colored flag logo and then shuts off and restarts. When it restarts, it runs a chkdsk again, as if it were improperly shut down, finds no problems, and then boots up normally.

The entry in start up files is this: "KernelFaultCheck - %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k - HKEY_LM\RUN"

I can't find this type of start up file on other computers that I use at work with XP. What is it, and what are the basic, necessary files - apart from antivirus scanners and so on that should start when XP starts? This is a puzzler. Can anyone help? Thanks

DeeAitch

D

David Candy

It tells you that it crashed and has rebooted. And do you want to send a report to MS (and you should cos MS will tell you straight back the solution if it's a known problem).

D

DeeAitch

Hi David,

Sorry, but you must have misunderstood. This
KernelFaultCheck is showing as a file that starts when
Windows starts up - NOT an error reporting box with the
send report option.

In any case, I'm trying to find out why the machine won't
boot completely unless I run the check disk utility.

Does anybody know? Thanks for your reply, though.

DeeAitch
-----Original Message-----
It tells you that it crashed and has rebooted. And do
you want to send a report to MS (and you should cos MS
will tell you straight back the solution if it's a known
problem).message (e-mail address removed)...result - I think - of 4 failed attempts to install an
Audigy soundcard. My system will only fully load XP to my
desktop IF I run "chkdsk c: /F". Otherwise, it boots to
the WinXP progress bar with the colored flag logo and
then shuts off and restarts. When it restarts, it runs a
chkdsk again, as if it were improperly shut down, finds
no problems, and then boots up normally.this: "KernelFaultCheck - %systemroot%\system32\dumprep
0 -k - HKEY_LM\RUN"computers that I use at work with XP. What is it, and
what are the basic, necessary files - apart from
antivirus scanners and so on that should start when XP
starts? This is a puzzler. Can anyone help? Thanks

G

Hi David,

This KernelFaultCheck %systemroot% is running at startup everytime I reboot or start the computer. It's in the same start up list with my anti virus software, SpyBot, and othe start up items. It was never there before. I know this because I use a registry editor called RegCleaner 4.0 that shows all software, start up items etc. I check it every day to make sure nothing gets into my system - adware that installs itself and so on.

DeeAitch

Ask a Question