Unplug your life!

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Unplug your electronics

I received this article in an email from a friend who thought I would subscribe to the stupid philosophy. I sent him a response in less than ten minutes during my lunch break without reading it or checking spelling before sending it off. I was rather angry than anything else knowing the writer to be ignorant about the subject and his thought process.

Here is what I sent to him:

Ernest Scheyder needs to unplug his LIFE if he wants to live in an industrial world like USA or another option is to go to Amazon jungle where he does not need all the electronic gear. The rationale is as follows:

You save money by switching to a laptop but does he know the battery of a laptop lasts 2 years and you have to buy one to keep it going for about $100 or so? The desktop on the other hand can be programmed to go into sleep mode thus saving on power (drawing only 5%) compared to when is is running at full capacity. Restarting the system takes a toll on electronics and this stop and start cycle can mean hardware failure. The cost?????

Can a professional do without charging his cell phone? How does he communicate, two cardboard cups with a string attached in between?

Many of the electronics when unplugged loose their settings, so if you unplug it you have to go through a marathon session getting everything back to what it was before you unplugged your cord. How many did that in the first place? More than 50% of the users do not even know how to set-up a Television properly these days, not because they are stupid, but because they have no time to read the user manual. In fact user manuals are discarded along with packing material!

Of all the people I have come across here in the USA majority of the population DOES NOT READ THE USER MANUAL for anything.

UNPLUGGING is not the SOLUTION, the SOLUTION lies with the USER and how one uses the EQUIPMENT!!!!!!

Ever heard of a phrase "Power saving mode"?

I am busy, otherwise I could have gone on and on and on.......

My outrage is not directed towards you, its towards the idiot who wrote the article!

God bless you for keeping me informed.
Unquote

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Quadophile said:
Many of the electronics when unplugged loose their settings, so if you unplug it you have to go through a marathon session getting everything back to what it was before you unplugged your cord.

That's a very interesting point! If we unplug our freeview box (a digital TV receiver), it takes about 5-10 mins to retune the channels before you can watch it.

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
That's a very interesting point! If we unplug our freeview box (a digital TV receiver), it takes about 5-10 mins to retune the channels before you can watch it.

It's all those valves warming up, Ian. :p

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I switch me microwave off at the wall as I have a watch. I unplug me telly for safety, ever seen the effects of a telly blown up by a lightening strike. I switch of me phone charger when the phone is charged. I only play vids on me video so no need for a timer so it gets switched of.
Only thing that stays plugged in are me BETC phone and me satellite box.
All that bending and stretching keeps me supple and remembering keeps me brain active, oh yes I save a couple of bob aswell.
It was a pretty crappy article though.

nod.gif

Ask a Question