Looks like I got a little lost

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
Oi!

So.....It's been a while. I stepped out of the "corporate" world of IT again and into some tech spots that took me to some fun places. I went to Holland to do some Cisco work for an audio/video company that build a giant system for a big yacht. I got to play with some pretty awesome toys and electronics installations. I went to Peru recently to fix some rich guy's hydraulics system on his boat. Right now, I run service for a small company and we work on almost all of the Italian yachts in the South Florida area. I get to play with electronics, hydraulics systems, computers and monitoring systems, as well as remote control systems.

You guys put on a new cover. Bear with me whilst I get acquainted.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Great to see you again @Silverhazesurfer :D. Yeah we've had a new design and the forum software has been updated, it's much easier to use compared to the old software :).

Sounds like you've had a fun time - I imagine working on super high-end systems like that must be pretty interesting. :thumb: What sort of neat things do the big yachts have on them?

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
This album is from my trip to Holland. We went to the Heesen Factory in Oss, Netherlands. I spend a month in Oss and another in Rotterdam finishing up the network installation. A $10k modem crapped out and nobody thought it was broken, because "it's a high end piece of equipment."

http://imgur.com/a/N5kuZ

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Wow :eek::eek::eek:

That stuff looks bloody brilliant :bow:.

Reaction score
Gorr blimey boats have changed since I left the Grey Funnel Line:confused:. Welcome back Silverhazeesurfe nice to have you back:thumb: Oh great photos by the way:bow::bow::bow:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Great to see you back! Sounds like you've been busy with some very interesting projects, thanks for sharing the photos :thumb:

If there's one thing I love to see, it's good cable management :cheers:

Silverhazesurfer

Master of Logic
Reaction score
V_R....

It's funny that you say that. This boat was in one of the yards down here getting all kinds of service and finalization of their systems in an attempt for the Fort Lauderdale Boat Show. She looks good from far but far from good. There were large sections of paint that were not holding up among several other issues. I find lots of issues with the boats coming out of SE Asia.

Here's an article about the gold one.

http://www.justluxe.com/lifestyle/luxury-yachts/feature-1955963.php

"Though the company is keeping pretty hush hush about the 48M SuperSport's price tag, they will say that the cost is in the tens of millions of dollars."

I'm pretty sure it was well north of $20M.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Interesting read! :nod:

Reminds me of this yacht we saw in Malta back in 2009 - probably the biggest private yacht I've ever seen! Not gold though, which on reflection is a little disappointing.

It was called the 'Indian Empress':
P1020096.JPG

This was the crest:
P1020098.JPG

Dread to think what the running costs of these things would be! :eek:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Well, they say the two happiest days of a boat owners life are the day they buy a boat and the day they sell it!

Yeah, I can believe that. My grandparents live in Norfolk and always had boats (until they got too old for all the work). Keeping them ship shape was a constant job - they were particularly relieved when they sold their wooden sailing boat.

I saw Kimi Raikkonen's selling his yacht, yours for a snip under 5 million euros! :lol:

I'll take two! :cool:

Steve Jobs' yacht was around for a bit.

http://i.imgur.com/tLwvowX.jpg

It certainly looks very 'on brand'. Half expected to see the apple logo on the side!

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Vajoliroja... The Jolly Roger... very good! I was a bit disappointed that it wasn't called 'The Black Pearl' until I noticed the pirate pun :)

Adastra is beautiful. Looks a bit more like a space ship than a boat though!

Ask a Question