Do not buy a Compaq

Kevin

Just a quick post about a hilarious experience I recently had with Compaq.
My office bought me a new desktop a couple of weeks before Christmas.
That's the good news. The bad news is that it is a Compaq. A Presario 6000
series, to be precise. It had Windows XP Home Edition SP2 installed and the
usual overload of crap that companies like Compaq and Gateway seem to
delight in offering the public.

The unit arrived, I hooked it up, turned on the power and it sat there.
Disk spinning, fans blowing and absolutely nothing happening. I called tech
support at Compaq. I actually got through in about two or three minutes. I
was now speaking with a tech in Bangalore, India. I could hear what seemed
to be people cooking dinner in the background. I read off the serial number
and was informed that my system would be out of warranty in two days! Yes,
two days. Out of a one year warranty my "brand new" system had two days
left. This thing had been sitting on a shelf somewhere for over a year
since it had been built.

This could only get better, so I pointed out that we had purchased the unit
within the last two weeks. Yes, I was told, my warranty was definitely
going to expire in two days. If I would only fax Compaq the receipt for the
unit, my warranty problems would be solved. Now onto the matter at hand. I
could barely contain myself during a fit of the giggles over the phone.

I explained that the machine was getting power but nothing was happening.
Yes, the monitor was plugged into the back of the computer. Yes, the
monitor was working. Yes, the little lights were on. No, nothing was
happening. No video, no keyboard or mouse response. Yes, the keyboard and
mouse were plugged into the computer. Would I mind opening the unit up and
looking inside? Sure, I can do that.

The technician had me twist, grab, wiggle, move, remove and reinsert
everything not nailed down to the motherboard inside the guts of that PC.
When I removed and reseated the RAM sticks, magic happened! Video and a
mouse response. Loose RAM, the tech observed. Problem fixed, thank you for
calling Compaq.

The next day, I got into the office and started the machine up. Nothing. I
hit the reset button and it booted up to the desktop and froze instantly.
No mouse or keyboard response and Ctrl-Alt-Del did nothing. On the fourth
or fifth reboot, it came up and stayed up the rest of the day. For a week
it would freeze on initial boot up, freeze at some point during the boot
process, freeze at shutdown, freeze at random and just plain freeze. I
called Compaq technical support again.

Hey, what do you know, I got Bangalore, again! Oh Boy! After confirming
that my warranty was now a full year I was ready to get my problem taken
care of. I explained about the previous call, the tech had no information,
other than the fact that my warranty was a full year. I ran him through the
first call, hitting only the high spots, and he said he knew what was wrong.
I would need to format the hard drive and reinstall Windows. Which I can do
by using the set of CD's I burned of the operating system image as Compaq
does not include a Windows disk. The hidden partition contains all that
information and in conjunction with the disks I had burned, I could now fix
my computer. Was I ready to proceed?

Hell no! I stopped the guy right there and we went over the essentials of
my problem. During this, the computer froze. When I reminded him of the
fact that it had arrived with an obvious hardware problem he said that I
would have to send it in to get it fixed as the Presario 6000 model we had
purchased did not have the option of having a local technician come to my
office to fix it. He arranged to send me a pre-paid shipping box and I sent
the PC in for service. Ten days later, I got it back.

I plugged everything in, turned it on and was greeted by the Windows Welcome
Screen and logon. I never set up my systems to use this and I didn't set
this one up to use it. Surprise! I can't logon because I don't have proper
"privileges"! On a reboot, I was able to catch the window that showed the
ASP.NET Administrator user had denied me the use of my computer. I had not
installed the .NET updates prior to shipping the machine off for service.
The techs that replaced the RAM sticks (bad RAM) had installed every update
known to man on the computer. For some reason, Windows decided that I no
longer had the right to use my own machine, so denied me a logon.

I called Compaq technical support. By golly, I got Bangalore! My lucky
day! This time, I got a technician that had evidently just mastered
English. But his name was . . . wait for it . . . Hadji. Yes, Hadji. As
in Jonny Quest! He was very nearly impossible to understand. I read off my
case number and he had no information other than the fact that my warranty
was one year. I carefully explained the problem with the logon and what I
had found as the cause. He knew exactly what my problem was from my
description and was I ready to format the hard drive and reinstall the
operating system and applications? This was the only way to fix my
predicament. Again, hell no!

I reminded him of the fact that I knew that those .NET Framework updates had
screwed up my system and I wanted it fixed and I knew it could be done
without formatting the hard drive. He said the updates were a Windows issue
and I would have to contact them for support of their operating system. I
explained to him that Microsoft will not support OEM installations of their
operating system. He asked me if I was sure my computer had an OEM version
of Windows on it. I couldn't believe it! I asked him if he knew that when
a company like Compaq installs their version of the Windows operating system
that Microsoft will not support it. He didn't know that. He would have to
ask someone, could I hold? Sure, why not, I'm talking to some guy halfway
around the world who doesn't know that he has the same name as a 1960's
cartoon icon and also doesn't know his company must provide the support for
the operating systems on their computers. Why wouldn't I hold?

Hadji comes back and by gosh, he can fix my logon problem without a format.
Two words. System Restore. Of course, I will have to pick a restore point
before the idiots that serviced my computer got their hands on it. That
means downloading and reinstalling about twenty critical updates, with the
exception of anything to do with .NET or .ASP or .NET Framework.

Of course, it works and I can use my computer now. Since my workplace is on
a dialup connection I spend a full day downloading and installing the
updates.

Whatever you buy, for your personal computing needs, do not purchase a
Compaq product!

Vagabond Software

LMAO! Thank you for that.

carl

Kevin said:
[...]

Miss Perspicacia Tick

Kevin wrote:

<tale of woe snipped>

You do realise that, actually, there no such company as Compaq? They are
merely HP Mark II?

Alias

..
:
: Whatever you buy, for your personal computing needs, do not purchase a
: Compaq product!

I have an HP that came with 128MB RAM and an Athlon 800. I fixed it by
formatting out the hard drive, replacing the horrible case, adding 128MB of
RAM and installing Win XP Pro on it (not HP's horrible restore disk that
included all kinds of things to slow a computer down). It runs like a dream
now.
--
Alias

Great story Kevin. I could picture exactly what you went through, and would
say that your words echo many people out there.
Grant.

Alias

I didn't know any better at the time, September 2000. Now I build my own.
--
Alias

"David Candy" <.> wrote

So why did you buy it?

David Candy

I bought a computer once. It was faulty. I've built them myself since (except laptops - I took one to pieces once, it didn't fit back in the case but it worked after I fixed it, just with a lot of wires on the outside).

Alias

I've never owned a laptop. I don't like the small keyboards, never travel on
business and the repair/price of purchase are other reasons I've never
bought one.

Not too mention, it is one of the products of choice for thieves.
--
Alias

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
I bought a computer once. It was faulty. I've built them myself since
(except laptops - I took one to pieces once, it didn't fit back in the case
but it worked after I fixed it, just with a lot of wires on the outside).

R. McCarty

Most or a high percentage of all notebooks are manufactured by
contract manufacturers. While you'll find considerable variations
in esthetic qualities, inside the case are basically the same parts.
So when discussing Dell, Toshiba and IBM you are really just
talking cost, software & support issues.

Today, I worked on a brand new Toshiba P4 notebook that
had 40+ Startup and Watchdogs on it. It ran badly. Add to that
the new vendor ploy of installing 30-90 day trials of most applications.
Notably Symantec, McAfee, Office and others.

This same customer bought a new eMachines desktop. On it
we got Symantec's NAV trial mixed with McAfee's Firewall.
Talk about a dangerous combination of software products. It's
almost a good idea to open the box, plug it in and start with a
Add/Remove programs session to purge it of all the junk/trialware.

And one more thing, the eMachines shipped with a "Ball" mouse,
no optical - talk about emptying the warehouse mentality.

Bob Burns

Kevin said:
[...]

I'd have sent the thing back to the seller the first day!

David Candy

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=c...useum/amstradpcc640.html+amstrad+ppc640&hl=en

and

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=c...ldhtm.pl?computer=ppc640+amstrad+ppc640&hl=en

[ps they are wrong - had fast NEC V20/30 chip]

Is my laptop. Don't make em with keyboards like this anymore. I'm almost crying at the sight of my first love. Prior to this I had handheld computers (4K memory I think - supposed to be for electrical calculations but I made it rate horses and run a reverse book), 2K and 4k things one plugged into the TV and saved on cassette recorders - sometimes you could even load the programs you typed in from the book back (70s). And boring old mainframes.

And I found a zip of the software that came with it (MSDos 3.3 and Mirror modem prog that I used on MS bulliten board). That means I can now install Windows 1 and 2 and 3 (I only had Dos 1 and 6 and required 5 or earlier but don't think Dos 1 would cut it as it has no subdirectories).

http://www.google.com.au/search?q=c...ickfrench/amstradppc.htm+amstrad+ppc640&hl=en

David Candy

PS This was cheaper than a desktop with monitor and I ran it on batteries only on the way home from the shop. It didn't use rechargables but alkaline.

http://www.uscricket.com
"David Candy" <.> wrote in message http://www.google.com.au/search?q=c...useum/amstradpcc640.html+amstrad+ppc640&hl=en

[...]

Frank Jelenko

I had a very similar experience with HP's deskjet support. Somewhere in
India, suggestions that, on the face of it, would not work. After
resisting/explaining the problem, the tech would admit it wouldn't work.

One tech said I had to use an 'alternate' driver - page she referred me to
specifically said not to use the alternate driver for Win XP.

My net: HP's got a serious tech support problem.

Bruce Chambers

More frustrating than amusing, I should think. As I've been saying for
years, "Friends don't let friends buy Compaqs."

However, in all fairness to HP/Compaq, you might have been saved some
of this trouble if your employer hadn't tried to take the cheap way out
by purchasing a consumer-class Presario. Compaq's business-class
machines are a bit more carefully assembled, come with both true
installation and Recovery CDs, and generally get somewhat better support.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:

both at once. - RAH

Kerry Brown

I have found the newer HP/Compaq machines to be much better than a few years
ago. You just have to do a bit of work to set them up. Immediately use the
provided utility to make a set of restore CD/DVD's. Boot from your favourite
utility floppy/CD and delete all partitions then repartition as you like and
install a full retail version of XP. You may have to figure out what
hardware drivers you need and download them. With rebates and special offers
you can often get a very nice system for a low price, even with the added
cost of the retail XP. If you ever need warranty service just use the
restore disks and send it in. If you're really price conscious and have the
time and know how you can use the existing OEM XP and uninstall/remove the
spyware etc. Last time I tried this it took me several hours and it was only
about 90% successful.

Kerry Brown

David Candy

I rang MS and HP Australia in Australia over a $2500 printer that

1/ Wouldn't work till a firmware update arrived
2/ Wouldn't install the update till I downloaded the control program which is not shipped with the printer - the drivers are but they need updating too.
3/ I forgot - it arrived smashed - this all refer to the replacement.
4/ Only some people on some machines could print. Everyone could print on at least one computer and every computer could print for at least one user. I rang HP and MS and was reffered to the other but I don't take that. I told MS and HP the work around. Create New Users. I deleted all users and recreated them and then months went by . HP rang me back and said "delete all old users and create new ones". (MS said there were secret KB about it but I've checked the secret KBs and there isn't - there is nothing groovy in the secret KBs - it's legal/quality control thing)
5/ The printer supports DHCP. The drivers don't. If you configure DHCP on the printer web server it wouldn't work again.

Duane Phillips

They make laptop cases with 17" wide screens and full size keyboards now.
My Partner bought one. It is nice. Almost got me wanting one.
~ Duane Phillips.

Alias

: They make laptop cases with 17" wide screens and full size keyboards now.
: My Partner bought one. It is nice. Almost got me wanting one.
: ~ Duane Phillips.

Sounds like a small desk top to me. I've seen those things. Not something
you want to take on a trip but it would look nice on a desk (top). The
problem is those things are waaay more expensive than a real kick ass desk
top.
--
Alias

:

: > I've never owned a laptop. I don't like the small keyboards, never
travel
: > on
: > business and the repair/price of purchase are other reasons I've never
: > bought one.
: >
: > Not too mention, it is one of the products of choice for thieves.
: > --
: > Alias
: >
: > Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email me.
: >
: > Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.
: >
: > ----------------------------------------------------------
: > http://www.uscricket.com
: > : >>I didn't know any better at the time, September 2000. Now I build my
own.
: >> --
: >> Alias
: >>
: >> Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email
me.
: >>
: >> Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.
: >>
: >> "David Candy" <.> wrote
: >>
: >> So why did you buy it?
: >>
: >> --
: >> ----------------------------------------------------------
: >> http://www.uscricket.com
: >> : >>>
: >>> .
: >>> :
: >>> : Whatever you buy, for your personal computing needs, do not purchase
: >>> : Compaq product!
: >>>
: >>> I have an HP that came with 128MB RAM and an Athlon 800. I fixed it by
: >>> formatting out the hard drive, replacing the horrible case, adding
128MB
: >>> of
: >>> RAM and installing Win XP Pro on it (not HP's horrible restore disk
that
: >>> included all kinds of things to slow a computer down). It runs like a
: >>> dream
: >>> now.
: >>> --
: >>> Alias
: >>>
: >>> Use the Reply to Sender feature of your news reader program to email
me.
: >>>
: >>> Utiliza Responder al Remitente para mandarme un mail.
: >>>
: >>>
: >>
: >>
: >
: >
:
:

Leythos

They make laptop cases with 17" wide screens and full size keyboards now.
My Partner bought one. It is nice. Almost got me wanting one.
~ Duane Phillips.

As long as you don't might the weight, once you use one you'll never go
back to a standard laptop. They are a total pain to carry from terminal
to terminal in the airport.