Unlocking the multiplier

Reaction score
I can only up my FSB to 137 from 133. Would like to try something a little more drastic, but the multiplier on my Mobo is locked. (it`s an ECS L7VTA.) have seen pics of people shorting pins on the CPU riser on their mobo`s but I dont like the look of it. Is the multiplier controlled by the bios? Will a bios update unlock my multiplier? Or will I have to shell out on a new Mobo, thus neutralising the money I would save by getting my CPU to run at the speed of a more expensive one?

Cheers

kenny

Reaction score
I know nothing much about all this but have heard of people in reviews getting engineers samples of processors and read about them getting high overclocks due to an unlocked multiplier.

From that i'd assume the answer to your question is that the multiplier is on the CPU itself as opposed to the motherboard.

Athlon CPU? I had one once, it got REALLY hot - maybe try some better cooling if you dont have already?

regards, Chris

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Unlocking rests with the CPU.

If you're lucky, it comes unlocked and you just set multiplier in BIOS.

Most often as not though, AMD CPU's are locked. Used to be able connect the L1 bridges on top of the CPU with conductive paint, but that doesn't work on latest generation of AMD CPU's.

Only way, as far as I know, is to short one or two pin junctions on the base of the CPU using a very fine piece of wire.

You do have to positively identify which model you have.

There are guides out there on the net, me got no time to look right now, have to go out, but do a Google and you should find something.

Reaction score
i wonder if P4 northwoods are unlockable...

what are the advantages or having an unlocked multiplier?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
CP: I know very little about Intel processors, sorry.

Advantage of unlocking multiplier is that you can just multiply the CPU speed by the 'stock' FSB speed, without suffereing any instability an increased fsb may give you.

CPU does tend to get a little warm though :D

Best thing is a combination of the two, up the multiplier a notch or two then increase fsb til it barfs, then ease back on the fsb a little. And then go buy some more fans and a big FO heatsink :D

Just thought of something as well. Some Elite boards do not give the option to increase multiplier for CPU, but there's usually some enterprising soul out there who has made a customised BIOS that will allow it.

Reaction score
Hmmm... customised bios - not sure i like the sound of that - say the AGP slot blows up or something and you need to return the board - they arent going to like the "better" bios...

it's a risk i'm sure many people are willing to take though lol

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
christopherpostill said:
Hmmm... customised bios - not sure i like the sound of that - say the AGP slot blows up or something and you need to return the board - they arent going to like the "better" bios...

it's a risk i'm sure many people are willing to take though lol
Agreed. But the fact of it is, in my experience it's extremely unlikely an RMA'd board would be subject to such rigorous testing. If it were tested, the supplier would just verify the fault, prove it, then return to manufacturer for a replacement/credit.

Some manufacturer's instructions to suppliers, such as MSI, only require certain parts of a questionaire to meet their requirements and they'll make a refund. The criteria for a refund aren't that strict.

I've used a customised Bios for an Elite board and managed a modest overclock, they really are quite OK.

Methinks you are over-estimating the rma requirements ;)

Reaction score
oh - cool!

well the customised bios's wouldnt be as updated as the newer official ones that iron out teething problems?

Reaction score
i'm sure - they cooled the compnents to -196 degrees which means there is not enough heat created to mess up the signals in the pipelines. The P4C was heavily modded to provide more power and custom copper cooling bits were made for ultimate heat transfer.

Oh the fun of liquid nitrogen

wonder if the warranty on the processor is now void :d

Ask a Question