Unlocking a timed out PC

Calum Polwart

We have recently installed win XP Pro. They are logged on
through a Novell NetWare Login which provides access to a
file server and through the same password and username, to
a domain server and microsoft exchange email.

If we leave the PC for some time it 'TIME OUTS' to a
[CTRL]-[ALT]-[DEL] screen. If the user is present they
can then login to that screen using the same user name and
password...

....our problem arrises if one team member logs in then
goes out and another team member wants to use that
machine, once it has timed out there is no way for them to
login... The screen says you need to be an administrator
or the logged in user to log in but that is not the case,
only the logged in user can get in. (The login uses the
Novel and the Domain login). Even local accounts which
don't use Novel or the domain wont log in.

Anyone know how we can get round this... ...I'm looking
for one of two possible solutions:

1. The ability to login to a different session - like you
can in Win XP Home when the screen saver comes on (Switch
User Command)

2. The ability of a super user to log the PC in to the
session which is currently open [if only to close
programmes and log the session out]. Our IT dept can do
this remotely I believe but in the past 3 days of running
XP we've had 20 lock-outs!!!

Jim Macklin

Ask your IT dept. to enable fast user switching on those
computers.

"Calum Polwart" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
| We have recently installed win XP Pro. They are logged on
| through a Novell NetWare Login which provides access to a
| file server and through the same password and username, to
| a domain server and microsoft exchange email.
|
| If we leave the PC for some time it 'TIME OUTS' to a
| [CTRL]-[ALT]-[DEL] screen. If the user is present they
| can then login to that screen using the same user name and
| password...
|
| ...our problem arrises if one team member logs in then
| goes out and another team member wants to use that
| machine, once it has timed out there is no way for them to
| login... The screen says you need to be an administrator
| or the logged in user to log in but that is not the case,
| only the logged in user can get in. (The login uses the
| Novel and the Domain login). Even local accounts which
| don't use Novel or the domain wont log in.
|
| Anyone know how we can get round this... ...I'm looking
| for one of two possible solutions:
|
| 1. The ability to login to a different session - like you
| can in Win XP Home when the screen saver comes on (Switch
| User Command)
|
| 2. The ability of a super user to log the PC in to the
| session which is currently open [if only to close
| programmes and log the session out]. Our IT dept can do
| this remotely I believe but in the past 3 days of running
| XP we've had 20 lock-outs!!!

Torgeir Bakken (MVP)

Jim said:
Ask your IT dept. to enable fast user switching on those
computers.

As I read Calum's post, the computers are domain members, in that
case fast user switching is not available.

Jim Macklin

I missed that, thanks...
Perhaps they should just increase the time-out

in message | Jim Macklin wrote:

| > Ask your IT dept. to enable fast user switching on those
| > computers.
|
| As I read Calum's post, the computers are domain members,
in that
| case fast user switching is not available.
|

| --
| torgeir, Microsoft MVP Scripting and WMI, Porsgrunn Norway
| Administration scripting examples and an ONLINE version of
| the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/community/scriptcenter/default.mspx

Torgeir Bakken (MVP)

Calum said:
We have recently installed win XP Pro. They are logged on
through a Novell NetWare Login which provides access to a
file server and through the same password and username, to
a domain server and microsoft exchange email.

If we leave the PC for some time it 'TIME OUTS' to a
[CTRL]-[ALT]-[DEL] screen. If the user is present they
can then login to that screen using the same user name and
password...

...our problem arrises if one team member logs in then
goes out and another team member wants to use that
machine, once it has timed out there is no way for them to
login... The screen says you need to be an administrator
or the logged in user to log in but that is not the case,
only the logged in user can get in. (The login uses the
Novel and the Domain login). Even local accounts which
don't use Novel or the domain wont log in.

Hi

Consider use this support resource instead of this group for question
about the Netware client from Novell:

Forum (web) / group (news):
novell.support.os.client.winnt-2k-xp

See http://support.novell.com/forums/ for more info.

The group is in the Google newsgroups archive as well (so you can
Google newsgroup search :)

http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?q=group:novell.support.os.client.winnt-2k-xp

The Novell Netware forums are peer-to-peer support/newsgroups, just as
this one, and last time I checked, pretty good ones as well :)

Over to your question:

Client 4.9 comes with a "force logoff" feature - if the workstation is
locked, another user can unlock it and force the current user to be
logged off.

Take a look at this post:
http://groups.google.com/[email protected]

Search for force logoff here:

What is new in the 4.9 Client?
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10087862.htm

Ensure that you are running the latest 4.9 Client version (with Support
Pack 1 installed):

Novell Client v4.90SP1a for WinNT/2000/XP
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/2967860.htm

Fixes included in Support Pack 1 for Novell Client v4.9 for Windows NT/2000/XP
http://support.novell.com/cgi-bin/search/searchtid.cgi?/10087831.htm

NobodyMan

[...]

Your solutions are pretty limited:

1. Turn off the "password required" checkmark in the screensaver
dialog.

2. Turn off the screensave.

3. Tell your folks not to walk off before logging out.

Can't the person who wants to use that computer turn it
off to reboot it? It works for me!

[...]

.

Torgeir Bakken (MVP)

NobodyMan said:
:
[snip]
Anyone know how we can get round this... ...I'm looking
for one of two possible solutions:

1. The ability to login to a different session - like you
can in Win XP Home when the screen saver comes on (Switch
User Command)

2. The ability of a super user to log the PC in to the
session which is currently open [if only to close
programmes and log the session out]. Our IT dept can do
this remotely I believe but in the past 3 days of running
XP we've had 20 lock-outs!!!

Your solutions are pretty limited:

1. Turn off the "password required" checkmark in the screensaver
dialog.

2. Turn off the screensave.

3. Tell your folks not to walk off before logging out.

4. Enable the "force logoff" feature in Novell Netware Client 4.9.