Unknown Hard Error and after reboot Unaccessible boot device

r.kolodziej

Hi there,

just a few hours before I had a popup-window on my screen, where only
was written "Unknown Hard Error" and a button to click OK. The Error
appeared while I was doing nothing (but using my telephone).
Applications in the background were continue to run (I have an
application, where I can see, whether its running or not), even with
network access. But no reaction to keyboard or mouse.

After rebooting via RESET-button, there's a bluescreen with
error-message
STOP : UNACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE (0x0000007B, ...)
Please reboot ...and so on

The bluescreen appears after Windows has started (from this
"unaccessible" boot device !)

Unfortunately, I found nothing comparable at Google or Microsoft. The
harddisk is OK (when I boot with other OS from CD (DR-DOS 7.0), I can
see everything on the disk).

I am using Win2K pro and ASUS K8V-X SE mainboard with integrated
SATA-Raid controller (but only one SATA-HDD connected), one extra
DVD-writer on IDE primary master channel. The system was running
properly for more than one year, without any errors.

When I'm trying to start the windows recovery console (from CD), an
error-message is displayed, that no HDD was found.
I tried to let make a .log-file during startup, but nothing was written
to disk, so I can't tell any more.

Formatting the hard-disk or trying to reinstall Windows was a possible
way, but I try to avoid both.

Any idea ?

Rene

DL

And youve run the hd manu test utility, available from their web site?
Because the files are visible doesnt mean the hd is ok

Pegasus \(MVP\)

[...]

The fact that you received an "Inaccessible Boot Device" error and
that your machine locked up while in full flight suggests that you have
lost access to your hard disk. Here are a few possibilities:
- Your RAID controller failed.
- Your hard disk failed.
- The disk ribbon cable is not properly plugged in.

I would start with the diagnostic test that is available with your
RAID controller. Since this is most likely a hardware error, you
should post your question in a hardware group. This group focuses
on Windows issues, and your PC never gets as far as starting
Windows.

Dave Patrick

In order to start the RC you will need to boot the Windows 2000 setup disks
or CD-Rom and *F6* very early and very important (at setup is inspecting
your system) in the setup to prevent drive controller detection, and select
S to specify additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to insert the
manufacturer supplied Windows 2000 driver for your drive's controller in
drive "A"

One of these may help.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/101096/en-us
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/327020/en-us

Microsoft Certified Professional
Microsoft MVP [Windows]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

Sid Knee

After rebooting via RESET-button,

If you haven't already done so, the first thing I would do is to do a
full (power off) reboot. I've found that reset buttons don't always
fully reset some hardware devices.

paulmd

[...]

You need to lead the drivers for it, that's what the press f6 thing
is all about.

Here are the drivers.
http://dlsvr03.asus.com/pub/ASUS/misc/ide/via/VIARAID_6421_V310E.zip

Contained in this archive, is utility called MakeDisk, that will
create a floppy with the text mode setup drivers. Yes it has to be a
floppy.

After you created the disk, attempt to boot the recovery console once
more, but this time press f6 at the prompt, and insert the floppy
disk.

Load the drivers, and continue. You should be able to get into the
recovery console.

I tried to let make a .log-file during startup, but nothing was written
to disk, so I can't tell any more.

Formatting the hard-disk or trying to reinstall Windows was a possible
way, but I try to avoid both.

Any idea ?

Rene

Something not right.

"UNKNOWN HARD ERROR" should be a bluescreen. Not a message with a
dialog box.

Also

"STOP : UNACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE (0x0000007B, ...) "

isn't right either, it should be "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" , that
could just be a typo, but if the screen really reads UNaccessible, it
might be a virus.

Check the hard disk anyway.

r.kolodziej

Thank you for your answer, Paul.

On Jan 26, 11:44 pm, (e-mail address removed) wrote:

"UNKNOWN HARD ERROR" should be a bluescreen. Not a message with a
dialog box.

Also

"STOP : UNACCESSIBLE BOOT DEVICE (0x0000007B, ...) "

isn't right either, it should be "INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE" , that
could just be a typo, but if the screen really reads UNaccessible, it
might be a virus.

Check the hard disk anyway.

I misspelled the Bluescreen. The right output is "Inaccessible boot
device" with 4 hex parameters, like the original windows. I don't
think, that's a virus, all incoming and outgoing data will be checked
by eTrust (updated daily), emails even 3 times in different ways (at
the domain provider, on the server and my machine). No second computer
(we have 4 with exactly the same hard- and software in the office) did
this error.
I will check the disk, when I'm in the office this afternoon.

Thanks,

Rene

r.kolodziej

The fact that you received an "Inaccessible Boot Device" error and
that your machine locked up while in full flight suggests that you have
lost access to your hard disk. Here are a few possibilities:
- Your RAID controller failed.
- Your hard disk failed.
- The disk ribbon cable is not properly plugged in.

I would start with the diagnostic test that is available with your
RAID controller. Since this is most likely a hardware error, you
should post your question in a hardware group. This group focuses
on Windows issues, and your PC never gets as far as starting

Hi Pegasus,

thanks for your answer.
I wouldn't say, this is a hardware error (I didn't test it yet, but I
will do this afternoon).

- from other OS the disk is readable, and even files on it. I tried DR-
DOS from CD,
- the disk is present (cable must be properly plugged, cause no error
all the time)
- a command like "type XXX.log /p" displays the file without errors -
NTFS seems OK, too.
- Windows is starting up (from disk!). I think, it's bluescreening,
when trying to load the RAID driver.
- VIA raid drivers for Windows are present in the system32/drivers
directory and have correct size and date
- a special driver for the Maxtor HDD is not required

I would really like to inspect the Registry (might be, the key for
DOS to do this ?

Rene

r.kolodziej

Dear Patrick,

thanks for your answer.

- both of the links don't describe my problem. The first Error (popup
with "Unknown hard Error") appeared while running the system (so
driver was already loaded into the memory). On the disk the (only
affordable) driver has correct size and date, NTFS seems to be OK.
- I really don't like to use the Recovery Console, cause I don't know
what it does. Especially on this computer I have some settings, that I
don't want to change (or to be changed by RC)- e.g. two BDE
installations, Interbase & Firebird parallel etc. These should be
"repaired" by a good error searching routine. Just tell me : Is the RC
that good ? Then I don't want to use it ;-)

[...]

Rene- Zitierten Text ausblenden -- Zitierten Text anzeigen -

RKolodziej

And youve run the hd manu test utility, available from their web site?
Because the files are visible doesnt mean the hd is ok

<[email protected]> wrote in messagenews:[email protected]...

But not only visible, even accessible (e.g. "type xy.log" brings the
file without errors on the screen). So NTFS is OK. This seems to be a
logical problem, not a physical.

Pegasus \(MVP\)

Hi Pegasus,

thanks for your answer.
I wouldn't say, this is a hardware error (I didn't test it yet, but I
will do this afternoon).

- from other OS the disk is readable, and even files on it. I tried DR-
DOS from CD,
- the disk is present (cable must be properly plugged, cause no error
all the time)
- a command like "type XXX.log /p" displays the file without errors -
- Windows is starting up (from disk!). I think, it's bluescreening,
when trying to load the RAID driver.
- VIA raid drivers for Windows are present in the system32/drivers
directory and have correct size and date
- a special driver for the Maxtor HDD is not required

I would really like to inspect the Registry (might be, the key for
DOS to do this ?

Rene

The "Inaccessible boot device" error usually happens when you
attempt to start Windows on a foreign system, e.g. by installing
a fully loaded Windows disk on a different hardware platform.
It is the result of the disk controller specified in the registry not
being the same as the one on your motherboard. Maybe you
have a corrupted registry entry in this area.

One way to possibly resolve the problem goes like this:
- Boot the machine with a Bart PE boot CD.
- Rename the System registry file to System.bad
- Rename System.alt to System.

Creating a Bart PE boot CD takes some time but it is well
worth the effort.

Pegasus \(MVP\)

Here goes:

I shutdown my computer last night, (WIN2k PRO) which ws working very fine.

I tried booting this morning, then the Log-in dialogue box appears, the pc
hangs, so I am forced to restart the computer.

After restarting, win2k pro loads about 75% (the blue bar during startup)
and then the blue screen of death shows up. (STOP: Inaccessible Boot
Device...)

I tried researching throughout the net but cant find one that works for my
pc. I didn't install any new hardware or anything nor did i touch or move
any of the hdisks. please help... ;c

http://www.eggheadcafe.com

Try pressing F8 early during the boot phase, then select Safe Mode
or Last Known Good Configuration. If this does not help then you
may have some file corruption or perhaps a bad cluster on your disk.
Depending on your level of experience, you may ask a repair shop
to examine the PC or maybe try a few things yourself, e.g.
- Run the disk diagnostic program that your disk manufacturer has
on his home site.
- Boot the machine with your Win2000 CD and perform a repair
installation.

Before you attemp to perform any serious repair work you should
make sure that your important data (including your EMail files) are
stored in a safe place away from this PC.

Dave Patrick

Might be a drive controller issue or possibly the boot partition has
changed. Boot.ini may now be incorrect. Try creating a boot disk. For the
floppy to successfully boot Windows 2000 the disk must contain the "NT" boot
sector. Format a diskette (on a Windows 2000 machine, not a DOS/Win9x, so
the NT boot sector gets written to the floppy), and copy Windows 2000
versions of ntldr, ntdetect.com, and boot.ini to it. Edit the boot.ini to
give it a correct ARC path for the machine you wish to boot. Below is an
example of boot.ini. The default is to start the operating system located on
the first partition of the primary or first drive (drive0). Then drive0
partition 2 and so on.

[boot loader]
timeout=10
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows 2000 0,1"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows 2000 0,2"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows 2000 1,1"
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(1)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows 2000 1,2"

Another possibility is to try loading the controller driver also from
floppy. For the floppy to successfully boot Windows 2000 the disk must
contain the "NT" boot sector. Format a diskette (on a Windows 2000 machine,
not a DOS/Win9x, so the "NT" boot sector gets written to the floppy), then
copy ntldr, ntdetect.com, and boot.ini to it. Edit the boot.ini to give it a
correct ARC path for the machine you wish to boot.

In order for this to work you'll want to change the arc path in boot.ini
from multi syntax to scsi syntax to indicate that Windows 2000 will load a
boot device driver and use that driver to access the boot partition. Then
also copy the correct manufacturer scsi driver to the floppy but renamed to
ntbootdd.sys

Something like this below;

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT
[operating systems]
scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows 2000 0,1"
scsi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows 2000 0,2"
scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINNT="Windows 2000 1,1"
scsi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINNT="Windows 2000 1,2"