Source: MsiInstaller
Date: 29-6-2006 17:10:52
Event ID: 1013
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Product: Virtual Machine Additions -- {\Tahoma8}Due to Group Policy, you do
not have sufficient permissions to install Virtual Machine Additions. For
more information, contact your system administrator.
Event Xml:
<Event xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/win/2004/08/events/event">
<System>
<Provider Name="MsiInstaller" />
<EventID Qualifiers="0">1013</EventID>
<Level>2</Level>
<Task>0</Task>
<Keywords>0x80000000000000</Keywords>
<EventRecordID>932</EventRecordID>
<Channel>Application</Channel>
<Computer>BREIMER-VISTA</Computer>
<Security UserID="S-1-5-21-1542022375-2812859409-202284409-1000" />
</System>
<EventData>
<Data>Product: Virtual Machine Additions -- {\Tahoma8}Due to Group
Policy, you do not have sufficient permissions to install Virtual Machine
Additions. For more information, contact your system administrator.</Data>
<Data>(NULL)</Data>
<Data>(NULL)</Data>
<Data>(NULL)</Data>
<Data>(NULL)</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Data>
</Data>
<Binary>7B35343335393542352D353146452D344531442D393238312D3531463031453035443130467D</Binary>
</EventData>
</Event>

Zapper

find the uninstaller, right click and go to properties go to compatibility
and click the run as admin box.

Colin Barnhorst

Have you done this, Zapper?

Zapper said:
find the uninstaller, right click and go to properties go to compatibility
and click the run as admin box.

Zapper

Nope, not running VPC...if I were and had trouble, I would go to Virtual PC
guy and ask him if he had any suggestions after I tried that.

I suggested it because I had to do that with a Pinnacle
installer/uninstaller. It "installed" by using the XP compatibilty tab along
with Run as Admin...but when you try to uninstall one of those "forced"
programs from the "Installed Software" control panel, it will fail with
either the not enough priveledges or wrong OS messages.

I had to search through the InstallShiled folder to find the write app to
set up..seemed to work, would imagine that the VPC additions would be
similar

Colin Barnhorst

The virtual machine additions are installed by capturing a cd image in the
virtual cd drive of the guest while the virtual machine is running. The
adds are written to the guest OS in the virtual machine and so have nothing
to do with Vista.

Colin Barnhorst - MVP (Virtual Machine)

Zapper

I read "When trying to uninstall the Virtual Machine Additions on a Vista
quest " as saying that the Guest OS was Vista...thus it is a Vista
permissions issue, correct?

Colin Barnhorst

Additional thought: Vista on Vista might require a UAC requestor in the
guest, but that should be all. The unistall option on the VPC Console
Action Menu would be the same.

Colin Barnhorst

You will get the UAC prompt when the installer starts inside the guest,
nothing else.

A.J. Breimer

Updating the VM additions via the action menu works to the extend that the
installation holds with a message
that a number of files are in use. You can kill all processes which are
mentioned (except the Explorer); installation
now proceeds and reports success.