undeletable file

G

i have a file on my desktop that uses msdos to run. it has no unistall feature so when i try to delete it it says that another user is using the program and cant be deleted. i tried the fix from kellys corner but it wouldnt because the process is being used by another. im the only one using this comp. i even tried creating an admin. acct. to delete the file, no go. it seems to be tied into explorer somehow. its a .exe file by the way. and its not a virus. any help would be appeciated

G

did you try that from a safe mode. I believe the program is running in background which may create such problem

G

The following is from Kelly's Corner. I just used it to delete an avi with the same message. It seems the real trick is turning off explorer.exe when deleting
Coach E

Close all open apps. Open a command prompt and navigate to the directory with the offending files. Then open the Task Manager and click on the Processes tab. select "Explorer.Exe" under Image Name. Click "End Process"

Now you will only have the command prompt and the task manager. In the Command Prompt, DEL the offending files (DEL *.mpg, DEL mus*.avi, DEL test.wmv, etc.)

The files should now delete without a problem. Now go back to the task manager and click on the Applications tab. Click the "New Task..." button. in the dialog, type Explorer.Exe and click OK.

----- MIKE wrote: ----

i have a file on my desktop that uses msdos to run. it has no unistall feature so when i try to delete it it says that another user is using the program and cant be deleted. i tried the fix from kellys corner but it wouldnt because the process is being used by another. im the only one using this comp. i even tried creating an admin. acct. to delete the file, no go. it seems to be tied into explorer somehow. its a .exe file by the way. and its not a virus. any help would be appeciated

Ask a Question