Unbeleivably Annoyed About Vista

D

David Crisp

For many years I have carfully backed up and kept my list of Favourite Web Sites on an external Hard Disk.

Now, whan I want to put all those Favourite Web Sites into the Folder in Vista for use on the new install, it FORBIDS me to do it, saying I need permission!!!! How do I need to have permsission on my own PC to transfer files that I want to.

I am logged as the ADMINITRATOR and all USER ACCOUNTS are turned OFF...So please Mr. Microsoft, how can I transfer my files to Vista / I have tried COPY and MOVE / both say permissions are needed..

Am I annoyed or what....Whilst we are on the subject how on earth can I get FULL and total control of mz system to do what I want........

J

Joe Guidera

If you have User Account Control disabled, RIGHT click on the target folder and choose properties. On the security tab verify that the user account that you are logged into has FULL CONTROL permissions to the folder in question.

You can access the favorites folder by navigating (in explorer) to c:\users\<username> and then clicking on favorites.

Joe
For many years I have carfully backed up and kept my list of Favourite Web Sites on an external Hard Disk.

Now, whan I want to put all those Favourite Web Sites into the Folder in Vista for use on the new install, it FORBIDS me to do it, saying I need permission!!!! How do I need to have permsission on my own PC to transfer files that I want to.

I am logged as the ADMINITRATOR and all USER ACCOUNTS are turned OFF...So please Mr. Microsoft, how can I transfer my files to Vista / I have tried COPY and MOVE / both say permissions are needed..

Am I annoyed or what....Whilst we are on the subject how on earth can I get FULL and total control of mz system to do what I want........

A

Adam Albright

Are You SURE you turned off UAC from Control Panel? It requires a
reboot. Once off you shouldn't have any trouble copying or moving
files. However that said, SOMETIMES you still will. Been there, I know
how you feel.

If you can't copy or move with UAC off, turn it back on. Now go to the
folder that's nagging about permissions. Click on the security tab.
You should see a upper and lower window pane. Click on ADVANCED on the
bottom one. You should see several file "owners" carefully look at the
list. See any that don't have full control? If so, highlight THAT
line, then click EDIT in the new window that opens. If you're lucky,
you will be able to give the "owner" full permission. Sometimes you
can't because the option is grayed out.

Still stuck?

You're by no means alone. Next try to disable UAC from a command line.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/wind...able-uac-from-the-windows-vista-command-line/

P

Paul Smith

Move them to a location you have write access to, such as anywhere under
your user folder David\Favourites for example.

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.
Microsoft MVP Windows Shell/User.
http://www.windowsresource.net/

*Remove nospam. to reply by e-mail*

For many years I have carfully backed up and kept my list of Favourite Web
Sites on an external Hard Disk.

Now, whan I want to put all those Favourite Web Sites into the Folder in
Vista for use on the new install, it FORBIDS me to do it, saying I need
permission!!!! How do I need to have permsission on my own PC to transfer
files that I want to.

I am logged as the ADMINITRATOR and all USER ACCOUNTS are turned OFF...So
please Mr. Microsoft, how can I transfer my files to Vista / I have tried
COPY and MOVE / both say permissions are needed..

Am I annoyed or what....Whilst we are on the subject how on earth can I get
FULL and total control of mz system to do what I want........

D

David Crisp

It will NOT allow me to MOVE or COPY anything from the saved directory..

!!!!!!!!

G

David Crisp said:
It will NOT allow me to MOVE or COPY anything from the saved directory..

!!!!!!!!

Have you checked the permissions on the saved folder ?
You may have to take ownership first.

D

DP

Can't you just import the favs into your browser?
If you use IE7, it's under the File dropdown menu, "Import and Export."

Ask a Question