unable to upload website - incorrect folder layout?

I am having trouble uploading my site - I am concerned that I have created
too many folder 'layers'.There is the first folder-this contains: another
folder with all the web pages (+ the the pages that FP creates),a 'derived'
folder, a 'vti-.' folder,a 'private' folder,photogallery folder (with all my
galleries)'.I notice that when I start a new website the first folder has a
filled in circle on it which I presume indicates a website.My folders don't
have this.Could this be the problem -be kind as this is my first attempt at
websites!Any help much appreciated.

?

=?Windows-1252?Q?Rob_Giordano_\=28Crash_Gordon=AE\

The globe signifies that that folder is a Web or Subweb

Thanks Rob - but am I still able to upload my website,which works brilliantly
when I preview it in internet explorer,if it is not saved within a webfolder?

Ronx

How are you "uploading" the site? What errors are you getting?
If the server has FrontPage extensions the site should be published
using File->Publish Site, then type in the server address in the form
http://www.example.com or http://example.com

If the server does not have extensions, use ftp://example.com as
specified by your host. You may have to use a third party FTP
application.

There is no limit to the depth of folders in a website, unless you
intend to save the site on a CDR, when the limit is seven folders deep
(plus those created by FP).

Jens Peter Karlsen[FP MVP]

If it is not in a Web you can't publish it as you can only publish Webs.
create a new empty Web in FP and import your files to it. Then you can
Publish.

Regards Jens Peter Karlsen. Microsoft MVP - Frontpage.
From: JOEY [mailto:[email protected]]
Posted At: 21. april 2005 18:41
Posted To: microsoft.public.frontpage.client
Conversation: unable to upload website - incorrect folder layout?

Thanks Rob - but am I still able to upload my website,which
works brilliantly when I preview it in internet explorer,if
it is not saved within a webfolder?

Rob Giordano (Crash GordonR) said:
The globe signifies that that folder is a Web or Subweb

aaah - just noticed that that filled in circle is actually a world!

:

I am having trouble uploading my site - I am concerned that I have
created too many folder 'layers'.There is the first folder-this
contains: another folder with all the web pages (+ the
the pages that FP creates),a 'derived'
folder, a 'vti-.' folder,a 'private' folder,photogallery folder
(with all my galleries)'.I notice that when I start a new website
the first folder has a filled in circle on it which I presume
indicates a website.My folders don't have this.Could this be the
problem -be kind as this is my first attempt at
websites!Any help much appreciated.

Hi Rob - can I clarify that when you say a Web you mean in the special Web w/
globe icon folder.Thanks.

?

=?Windows-1252?Q?Rob_Giordano_\=28Crash_Gordon=AE\

yes.

You must create a web first, then create your pages, albums, forms, whateever, within that web...and always open Web to work on it. Then Publish it to your server.

If you show a globed folder within a Web that would be a Subweb...and a different topic.