'Unable to load OS' error - HELP appreciated

Reaction score
Help required....

My system was working fine until the weekend when a RAID error was detected by the onboard VIA raid controller. I now cannot boot at all from the HDD - 'error loading OS' displayed after POST. Looks like the BIOS detects the drives OK....and I suspect I have some kind of OS corruption. Looking for ideas before a full rebuild...

System:
XP Pro SP2
Asus A7V600 / Athlon XP2500 / 512MB
RAID 1 on two Maxtor SATA Diamondmax9 120GB drives.

1. Tried running Windows setup CD, 'F6' to load SATA drivers works OK, but oddly both drives appear empty unformatted and unpartitioned.

2. Windows recovery console attempted - CHKDSK finds 'unrecoverable errors'. Ran FIXMBR and FIXBOOT with no noticeable change....

3. Maxtor 'PowerMax' utility run, but doesn't seem to detect either drive....

4. Loaded into ASUS VIA RAID setup utility and de-configured the array. Drives appear as seperate SATA HDD drives.....but still will not boot....

5. Physically unplugged each drive and tried various combos of single drive bootup on each SATA lead....again no joy and 'error loading OS' seen....

One unhappy chappie....

Ask a Question