Unable to install XP SP2 as administrator

When I try to install XP SP2, logged in as local administrator, I get the
message "You do not have permission to update Windows XP...See your
administrator". I can't find why SP2 won't install. The local policy settings
are largly 'not-configured'. Can you suggest what to change to allow the
install to take place?
Thanks in advance, Any help would be appreciated.

Diana Smith [MSFT]

Hello,

Please try the following steps to test this issue:

1. Click Start, click Run, type in: gpedit.msc, click OK.

2. Locate to: Computer Configuration\Windows Settings\Security
Settings\Local Policies\User Rights Assignment.

3. Add your current user account to the following items:

Manage auditing and security log

Back up Files and directories

Restore files and directories

Take ownership of files or other objects

4. Reboot the machine and than try to install SP2.

Thank You.

Diana.

(e-mail address removed)

--------------------
| From: "=?Utf-8?B?SkdSSUxMUw==?=" <[email protected]>
| Subject: Unable to install XP SP2 as administrator
| Date: Mon, 1 Nov 2004 16:51:05 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
|
| When I try to install XP SP2, logged in as local administrator, I get the
| message "You do not have permission to update Windows XP...See your
| administrator". I can't find why SP2 won't install. The local policy
settings
| are largly 'not-configured'. Can you suggest what to change to allow the
| install to take place?
| Thanks in advance, Any help would be appreciated.

(e-mail address removed)

Thanks you Diana very much. I've now discovered I can not edit the policy
"Take ownership of files or other objects", there is a SID numeric value
there and I plan to trace and tryand modify...if I can't I suspect I'll need
to reinstall. Again, Thank You very much.
Jim