Windows XP Unable to instal office

Reaction score
Can anyone help with the above problem please?I was given a Dell D600 notebook that was previously used in an office and all the progs removed.I have tried to instal office 2003 but keep getting the notice saying Windows installer could not be accessed.Windows may be running in safe mode(its not)or windows installer is not correctly installed.The operating system is xp with sp 2 that was installed when i got it. I have tried to use my own copy of xp to possibly put right the problem but the system tells me my copy is older than the version running and it will not allow me to procede. Any help would be great.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Have you thought about installing all the updates your version of XP is missing, it is up to SP3 and beyond now. That may help.

happywave.gif

Reaction score
Updating my disc would be the answer i suppose but how would i do this?Can you update by downloading and writing to the original disc?

Last edited:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Why not turn on Automatic Updates on your pc ? That way you will always be up to date.

You can download SP3 and burn it to a disk. That will not give you all the latest security updates though.

happywave.gif

Reaction score
The laptop is not set up for the internet at the moment as it is not going to be used at my home but at a relations.I Hoped to set it up with an office package,anti virus,etc before taking it to its new home to save messing around later.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
If you have a pc at home connected to the net simply take the etehernet cable out of it and plug it into the laptop. Then a few quick tweaks to the laptop software if it need sit at all and you are connected. Probably take you a couple of minutes. Then its plain sailing.

nod.gif

Reaction score
Many thanks for the replies and the help to solve my problem.I have downloaded Service Pack 3 on another computer and burned to a disc.I then installed onto the laptop and viola no more instal problems with programmes.I will now have a go at connecting to the Internet and see how it goes.As you can tell i`m a bit of a novice! If it was`nt for you guys and your patience a lot of people like myself would probably give up on computers.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
mechanic said:
Many thanks for the replies and the help to solve my problem.I have downloaded Service Pack 3 on another computer and burned to a disc.I then installed onto the laptop and viola no more instal problems with programmes.I will now have a go at connecting to the Internet and see how it goes.As you can tell i`m a bit of a novice! If it was`nt for you guys and your patience a lot of people like myself would probably give up on computers.

We at PC review always make sure WE never give up trying to find a solution for fellow users like you. It is always a pleasure to be of assistance, stick around and you will know what I mean. Folks here in my opinion the most helpful lot one can possibly find on the web.

By the way, there is an option available to you as an alternative to Microsoft Office 2003. It is free and will cost you nothing and is available as Open Office 3.1. Try it, it does everything what the Microsoft Office is expected to do albeit free of charge.

Here is the link

openoffice.org

Reaction score
Madxgraphics said:
Hi MadX,

I noticed ya posted a link for XP SP 3 and i was wondering was it possible to get a download for vista that i could burn to disc.
When i bought my laptop Vista was pre installed and i dont have it on a disc. I followed the link to MS and searched for vista but i'm a little confused by all the different types of downloads on offer.
Any suggestions??:)

Zzzzz

Last edited:
Reaction score
captain zed said:
Hi MadX,

I noticed ya posted a link for XP SP 3 and i was wondering was it possible to get a download for vista that i could burn to disc.
When i bought my laptop Vista was pre installed and i dont have it on a disc. I followed the link to MS and searched for vista but i'm a little confused by all the different types of downloads on offer.
Any suggestions??:)

Zzzzz

check if auto updates are on and search that way.

Or you can follow this link

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...d5-f907-4406-9012-a5c3199ea2b3&displaylang=en

Reaction score
captain zed said:
Thanks MadX,

There's a few different types to choose from.

Zzzzzz

check out the attachment, you see where it says download ? well guess what, hit the download button...

Attachments

• downlad.PNG
    downlad.PNG
    38.7 KB · Views: 70

Ask a Question