Type 1 font irregularities

G

I have a new desktop PC with WinXP Pro and a laptop with WinXP Home and I'm having a problem with some of my Type 1 Univers fonts. I use Adobe Type Manager Deluxe on both machines and all of the fonts are installed, but the display on some of the Univers fonts defaults to the next related font, e.g., Univers CondensedLight displays as Univers CondensedLight, Oblique. If I disable the oblique font, it takes on the next characteristic (in this case, Univers CondensedBold). Disabling all of the related fonts (the Univers 47 CondensedLight family) yields the correct result, but I need to use multiple weights/attributes for my documents

I have another PC with WinME on which I use the same fonts without a problem. Any suggestions? I'd like to "donate" the ME machine to my family once I've got the fonts issue ironed out. Thanks!

X

-xiray-

I have another PC with WinME on which I use the same fonts without a problem.

If that's just happening with the one font, then I'd bet the font is
file is faulty/corrupt.

I'd suggest that you use "add font" tab in ATM to delete that Univers
font (and after you hit the remove botton make sure you check the
"remove font files from disk" option in the pop up box).

Then reinstall the fonts for the original CD or if you don't have the
font on CD then copy the font files from the machine that has a good
copy and use ATM to install the various font files. I don't have
Univers, so I'm not sure how many there are.... you'll have to do
digging for that.

FYI... from time to time you might consider copying the PS fonts
folder (and if you have Adobe CS apps with OpenType there's also fonts
under Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Fonts) to CD as an archive.

G

These fonts have been copied over from the original PC. For the first one that gave me trouble, I thought it may be the file so I purchased, downloaded, and installed another copy, but the same issues came up (not surprising, since the .pfb/.pfm font files were identical).

The strange thing is that one file seems to be affected by the other. If I open the sample display for, say, Univers-CondensedLight, it shows as italic; when I deactivate the italic font with UVCL still displayed, its display changes immediately (unfortunately to Univers-CondensedBold).

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced anything similar. As I said, both of my XP machines seem to do the same thing.

Ask a Question