Two Tin Cans and a Piece of String

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I like to think I was the first to 'invent' four tin cans & two pieces of string ... made communications a little easier. :D

What am I talking about?

BT 'Total' Broadband ... bringing it all together. :thumb:

Had an email from BT, an advert email, normally I would just delete these but then, I did ask to be kept up-to-date with the latest-n-greatest from BT. ;)

So, I gave 'em a tinkle on the bones, it was free, to see what this new fangled thingy-me-bob was all about. Nice looking white box it is too.

Ask the lady some 'technical' questions to see if I could still connect 3 PCs & my mobile and still get free calls as I do on BT Fusion ... was only on hold for a few questions ;) ... but was reassured that "yes I could" AND I get to save £3 something to boot, plus I get the "new kit" free also.

Well, the £3 saving swung it for me, got to look after them £££s ... so I signed up. I have actually downgraded from BB options 4 to BB options 3, but, BT recently upgraded their options ... yeah, right, but I still get a better deal and it costs less. :thumb:

That was Monday 25th, on Wed 27th the big brown box arrived ... I do like presents :D

Friday, I get the conformation email stating I have been "activated" and to follow these instructions to turn it on.

I got around to setting it all up today ... that's what Sundays are for, innit.

Was looking forward to phoning Tech-support but never got the chance ... didn't need an 8 year old either.

The thing went together sweet as pie and it's all working great. Not tested the wireless yet, not got anything here WIFI to use, but have invited my nephew around with his laptop so we can have a go at 'hacking' in or even set-up an access for him. ;)

What can I do with this kit? ... well, I have "up-to" 8MB enabled ADSL broadband WIFI Router, along with the normal Internet stuff ... I can use my BT Fusion Mobile, as before, to make free calls using BB, plus I can use my house phone to do the same ... I now have a second phone line & phone number which makes 3 phones in the house altogether.

Need to talk ... pick one, it's free.
laughingsmiley.gif

Oh, and I can use VOIP to ... usual restrictions, free only to other broadband Talk Softphone users ... but you can, for a fee, call other VOIPs such as Skipe.

TV & Radio comming soon.

Chalk one up for BT ... good all-round package, not the cheapest, but fair for what you get. :thumb:

user.gif

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
If you're happy with it, and satisfied, then it's good :)

And that, as they say, is the best criteria to judge by.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Is this the white box thingy that is on the BT adverts at the moment? Not bad if it is cheaper AND you get something for free :D

Is this only for BT Broadband customers, not just normal BT phone line?

muckshifter

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Is this the white box thingy that is on the BT adverts at the moment? Not bad if it is cheaper AND you get something for free :D
Yep ... :)

Is this only for BT Broadband customers, not just normal BT phone line?
err, pardon ... I'm a BT 'customer' who has a BT line ... yes? Not sure what you mean?

Anyone who has a 'line' can "return to BT" even Cable users. :p

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Sorry, what I mean is your broadband with BT along with your line? I'm with demon broadband, but I've got a BT line.

I've had several beers at this point, so if I don't make much sense I'll realise tomorrow morning :lol:

muckshifter

Reaction score
LoL ... beer, mm-mm

I have one BT ordinary phone line ... to-whit is connected the ADSL modem ... now, this is the fun bit, their modem allows you to, via broadband, to send and receive phone calls just like an ordinary phone ... now the really fun bit is, I can use my BT Fusion mobile OR the house phone to make calls PLUS I can use the house phone to use the BB phone that is an 05 number. got it? good. Clear as day innit. :thumb:

In effect I have three phone lines ... one BT everyday run of the mill phone line ... one BB (05 #) that is just actual like another phone line ... and me mobile, which is used like any other mobile in the street, BUT, when at home, it automatically uses the BB line.

There now, have another on me.
laughingsmiley.gif

Ask a Question