Two Separate Laptop Hard Drives

G

I am using a company issued Dell laptop running XP Professional. For work purposes, I need to begin utilizing another hard drive, which we've just purchased from Dell. There are programs that we use that are not supposed to cohabitate on the same hard drive. Do We need to purchase another version of XP or can I use the boot disk that came with the laptop to boot up the orginal XP version? I will still be using the same laptop except I will be swapping out the hard drive when needed.

C

Carey Frisch [MVP]

You'll need to purchase a "Full Version" of Windows XP
for the second installation.

Go to Start > Run and type: WINVER , and hit enter.
Then click on "End-User License Agreement" for clarification.

You can also open XP's "Help and Support" and type: EULA
and hit enter. Click on "Questions and answers about the EULA".

The End-User License Agreement states quite clearly:

"You may install, use, access, display and run one copy
of the Software on a single computer...."

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP
Windows XP - Shell/User

Be Smart! Protect your PC!
http://www.microsoft.com/security/protect/

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
--------

| I am using a company issued Dell laptop running XP Professional. For work purposes, I need to begin
utilizing another hard drive, which we've just purchased from Dell. There are programs that we use that are
not supposed to cohabitate on the same hard drive. Do We need to purchase another version of XP or can I use
the boot disk that came with the laptop to boot up the orginal XP version? I will still be using the same
laptop except I will be swapping out the hard drive when needed.

G

I guess the second hard drive is considered to be a second computer. Doesn't really seem fair does it, considering the second drive will be used only on the orginal laptop computer.

G

Why do you need to load a operating system on a slave hard drive? One computer, one license, if you use this hard drive on another computer as it's primary, you need another license, if you just use it as a slave, you do not.

Ask a Question