TV on the PC

Reaction score
Hello, this is my first visit to your forum, so I'd just like to say hi, and hopefully you can point me in the right direction.

I have a freeview box that I currently use connected to a normal T.V. and would like to know if this can be connected to my computer, and if so what kind of card I would need to allow this to happen (my new 22" monitor is bigger than the small T.V. in my study).

If I cannot connect it to my computer, would there be a recommended card available that would allow me to watch freeview T.V. ?

Looking for a solution that's not too expensive, but not the cheapest either.

Any clarification you require please let me know.

Many thanks.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hauppage do a range of TV cards that have freeview tuners, in fact you'd be hard pushed to find a TV card that receives analogue reception now.

You can get cards with or without twin tuners (watch one channel whilst recording another to your hard disk) and/or remote controls.

It all depends on your budget.

Try looking at Amazon; Aria; E-Buyer and Kustom PC's, they all do TV cards.

And to watch your freeview receiver on your computer you'd need to connect the sound output to your PC's sound line in and the video output to a video input, which is usually only found in capture devices such as Pinacle's 'Dazzle' unit, some video cards or..... a TV card :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
You can get many graphics cards with a TV-in port, allowing you to connect your digibox to the PC - however it's probably going to be cheaper (and better quality) to get a USB TV stick. I've seen these USB sticks sell for as little as £10-20 sometimes.

Here's a few examples:

http://www.aria.co.uk/Products/Comp...=cF9zdHlsZT1saXN0JnBfcHJvZHVjdHNQZXJQYWdlPSY=

I think you'll get much better quality by using one of these, rather than using a cable from your freeview box - as you'll be able to display HD images.

Reaction score
TV on PC

Hi, thanks for the prompt response - just so that I am clear, it's a TV Card I need (or the USB option) or a new Graphics Card with TV In? Thanks.

Reaction score
This is what I have and its a pretty decent bit of kit..Easy to setup, and far better than buying a adapter card for your PC....

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
tdoubleg said:
Hi, thanks for the prompt response - just so that I am clear, it's a TV Card I need (or the USB option) or a new Graphics Card with TV In? Thanks.

A graphics card with the facility to take video in.

ATI used to make a graphics card, the 'All In Wonder' that had a TV tuner with it, but not sure if they still make it.

Your best, and cheapest, option is a seperate TV tuner/card.

Mr Mad X's link above looks like a good option :thumb:

Reaction score
TV on PC

Folks,

many thanks for your help, I will take your advice and go for a separate TV Card. Until next time.

Reaction score
I use to have a usb freeview adapter that worked quite well cant remember who made it though

Ask a Question