Watching T.V. on your PC

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
Hey all,

I've recently got rid of my T.V. out of me room to make space and didnt realise I would miss it as much as I have!

I want a T.V. card for me pc, nothing to flashy, just something to pic up channels 1-5, doesnt need a remote (cos im not that lazy :D ).

I have a T.V. ariel lead right near me PC so that isnt a problem, just need help finding the right equipment.

Remember, the aim of the game is to keep things CHEAP!

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
i have a hauppauge winTV PVR-150, admittedly it wasn't cheap, think it cost about £70 from pcworld but it has a hardware mpeg2 encoder so the CPU doesn't get killed when you record something

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hauppage make the best cards.

Be sure to get one that receives digital channels, analogue is going the way of the dodo relatively soon.

I bought a cheap DVDRW drive recently. It's now in the bin, twas a false economy.

But, you pays yer money, you takes yer chances......

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I think reasonable digital TV tuners are around £40-ish now, and as Flops says I'd go for one of those. I think they turn off analogue in 2008 onwards, so its not very far away now.

Reaction score
I thought it was 2010 they turned it off?

Either way I don't think it will happen. Seems a stupid idea to suddenly turn off a perfectly reasonable, reliable service for no reason at all.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
PotGuy said:
I thought it was 2010 they turned it off?

Either way I don't think it will happen. Seems a stupid idea to suddenly turn off a perfectly reasonable, reliable service for no reason at all.

Don't be an ostrich, it will happen and it's happening now. Parts of Scotland already don't receive analogue (terrestrial) signals.

Analogue is a dated transmission system taking up a lot of radio bandwidth.

Digital TV is better, uses less bandwidth and works well.

That's why they're turning off a perfectly reasonable, reliable service, to provide one with the same attributes that's better.

The turn-off will be gradual. You'll lose your signal sometime between now and 2012 depending on what part of the country you live.

Apart from Bangor in Wales. For some reason, Bangor will receive analogue signals forever. This was decided by Tony Blair, as he decided and announced Bangor residents were a special case because they're strange.

He's obviously never been to Deptford....

Ask a Question