I would like some oppinions on my new PC choice

Reaction score
hello,
after having my PC for a few years (roughly 4 now) and getting what i realise now as a terrible deal on it (being from time computors coupled by the fact it was just before a boom in technology.)
I would like to try and get a more informed decision this time (after about 6 months trying again with Time Computors to receive the completely wrong equipment once it was sent and told "it was a sister company known as time upgrade or some such who made the deal and were not going to rectify the mistakes)
before i go on any further my current specifications are:

800mhz athlon duron cpu
a 27 gb HD (i was told it was going to be 30 but i was fobbed off about partition and i didnt really understand at the time)
128mb of SD RAM (no idea of the specific type added another 128mb not long back that was free)
a build in RIVA TNT2 model 64, 32mb version (just incase there are more versions o_o;;)
19" samsung 95p plus monitor (i love this to peices, hi resolutions easy to install and so very clear)
a pair of very rubbish time speakers (that did ofcourse break a small time after the paid for suport ended)
no network card (i supplied my own realtek one later)
56k modem built in (soon scrapped that for my horrible speedtouch usb modem which drains all the power out of the USB ports and really doesnt like it if i plug in my portable mp3 player from archos)
built in SoundBlaster 128 (horribly crackly yuck)
motherboard (unsure what it is)

so yeah time for a upgrade i think o_o;; i thought it would be helpful if i mentioned what i use my PC for and the answer is games, but i play graphically demanding games not horribly dated things like counterstrike (dont hate me >_<) im not sure about anyone else but the back of MY box says half life runs on a pentium 133 and 24mb of ram.
I play games like Warcraft 3 and Command and Conqueror(sp?) generals, and even RPGS like lineage 2 (unreal 2003\4 engine) and everquest 2 are using alot more demanding hardware and i can just about handle tribes 2 torque engine (just) with the graphics down low planetside and even battlefeild 1942 are out of the question.

and so i stumbled across this from special reserve, i kinda like the company but it seems a bit odd they act like a suplier but have middlemen too....free gimics like the free stuff when you sign up seems like a bad sign but i really dont know about MAXX PC's which is who sells the PC here http://maxxpc.com/maxx-computers-GG2984.html

again the mention of "FREE BUNDLED SOFTWARE" which screams something nasty to me but its not the 1 million cd's time threw at me atleast and you can actually see what they are...

£900 seems like a ok price to me but then i clicked the extras button and made the screen the same one (CRT) but the 19" inch version (yay) additional 512mb of RAM (to make me a little future proof i hope o_o;;) and the SAPPHIRE ATI RADEON 9600XT 128 MB AGP now i dont really know extreme amounts about the difrences here and i guess i should look at some benchmarks if im told i have to make my own decition on this but im told this card was just out to sell under HL2's name but with this all added it becomes £1,068.98

still seeming pretty water tight to me but htis is where i need the help of people who will really tell me if its any good un-biasedly, i think the way on the customise tab you can click for additional details and get all the important numbers they miss out on the main page make it easyer to see if they try and give you a geforce 4mx instead of a geforce 4 ti for example like Time Computors tried to do to me.

i do really really hope that this PC is of good quality as their payment plan is exactly what i am looking for but if its really a pile of junk i'd rather have to but it all peice by peice as of when i get the money for each part. i really apreciate any help with this and would be only too happy to give any additional information about my situation. spelling and grammer isnt my strong point as you might see being of a steriotypical essex persuasion

wow it took so long writing this it logged me out o_o;;

Ask a Question