Dead Sky Boxes. Plugged HDD into TV.

Reaction score
So both Sky boxes decided to pack up recently. At the same time. Not the completely dead type of packed up, but the annoying failure where you go to turn the TV on and you can only get a blue screen, or you are stuck on a particular channel. These boxes aren't the quickest to boot up after you pull the power either. I'm out of warranty on them but in contract until June. I don't plan on paying for an engineers visit.

I had a 265Gb ADATA SSD knocking around that I was sent recently but had no use for - so decided to format it to NTFS and plug this into the USB socket on my TV. I also plugged in an aerial cable to get freeview reception.

I have an LG Smart TV. Nothing overly special, just a 55" LED thing. None of the curved/OLED fanciness but it's got a really cool user interface.

Now I have all of the Pause/Rewind/Record features that Sky+ gives on my TV without needing any kind of set top box. And, importantly, it lets me configure the programme list so I have all the HD channels in a row. Result.

Really quite impressed.

I'll probably give Sky a call tomorrow and find out when I can cancel my package. I love Discovery channel, but I just don't get the time to watch it at the moment.

That was my little job of the day.

Reaction score
Chris, if I remember correctly ( I could be wrong)
the Pause, Rewind features are part of a subscription.

If you cancel you will lose those features along with it
The box can't be used as a PVR without a sub

Just found this;

http://www.tvandtech.co.uk/sky-recording-without-subscription/

Sorry TD, I meant that I plugged my SSD directly into my Smart TV and that now delivers all the pause rewind record features just with the freeview channels... taking Sky and the Sky Box completely out of the equation :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Sounds like a lot of us are dumping Sky recently - I wonder if that's a taste of things to come. With Netflix so cheap, and the ability of most smart TVs to pause/record, there's a whole lot more competition.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Sounds good :thumb: I don't miss Sky at all, we use Netflix a lot plus freeview.

Plus I like not giving money to Rupert Murdoch :cheers:

Last edited:
Reaction score
This is the single most annoying thing about Sky. Why oh why can't you re arrange the channel list!?

I can't get my head round this. Of the first 4 channels in the Sky EPG, only BBC2 is HD. BBC1, ITV and CH4 are SD - I assume because they are regional, but I would rather at least have the option to show HD as priority.

Reaction score
Sounds like a lot of us are dumping Sky recently - I wonder if that's a taste of things to come. With Netflix so cheap, and the ability of most smart TVs to pause/record, there's a whole lot more competition.

Exactly - we have Netflix and Amazon Prime, and now much less time to watch TV than we used to.

I did hear that Sky will be offering an entirely dish-free service from 2018 that streams everything over the internet so if I cancel now that should allow me to wangle a new customer offer for a year and pay next to nothing for it after Quidco cashback...

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I'm another who is sorely tempted to ditch Sky....

It seems 'Cord Cutting' is becoming more and more of a thing.

I can't get my head round this. Of the first 4 channels in the Sky EPG, only BBC2 is HD. BBC1, ITV and CH4 are SD - I assume because they are regional, but I would rather at least have the option to show HD as priority.

Yep, thats exactly why - regional channels. It does my nut in tbh! You would think in this day and age it would be 'allowed' for the user to move them at will.

Taken from another site:
If an HD channel shows exactly the same programmes (including regional programmes) as the SD version it is eligible to swap channel numbers on Sky HD.

BBC Two: Sky HD channels 102/142
BBC Two England is the same as BBC Two HD, so the HD channel has swapped places and is now on 102. (There's no separate BBC Two for the Channel Islands)

BBC One: Sky HD channels 101/141
BBC One Channel Islands is not the same as BBC One HD - BBC Channel Islands is not available on BBC One HD, so a swap is not allowed.
It's not allowed because it would contravene the Communications Act 2003, which orders digital TV operators to put the relevant regional versions of the main five channels on channels 1-5 (or 101-105).

That's why you have BBC One Channel Islands (SD) on 101 and BBC Two HD on 102.

:(

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
I had a 265Gb ADATA SSD knocking around that I was sent recently but had no use for

Gosh must be awful to have problems like that.
tease.gif

Ask a Question