Discovery UK is threatening to pull its channels from Sky over money disputes

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
In a fairly major public dispute, broadcaster Discovery UK is threatening to pull its programming from Sky after accusing the service of “[refusing] to pay a fair price” for its 12 channels (which include Eurosport, Animal Planet, TLC and the Discovery Channel, among others).

In a statement, Discovery claims that it is currently paid less by Sky than it was a decade ago (despite the increased cost for customers since then), and has said that if the situation is not resolved by the end of the month they’ll pull all their channels from Sky.

Commenting that negotiations had “reached an impasse,” Discovery accused Sky of using its “dominant market position to further its own commercial interest,” adding that “the vitality of independent broadcasters like Discovery and plurality in TV is under threat.”

In response, a Sky spokesperson said: "Despite our best efforts to reach a sensible agreement, we, like many other platforms and broadcasters across Europe, have found the price expectations for the Discovery portfolio to be completely unrealistic.

"Sky has a strong track record of understanding the value of the content we acquire on behalf of our customers, and as a result we've taken the decision not to renew this contract on the terms offered.

"We have been overpaying Discovery for years and are not going to anymore. We will now move to redeploy the same amount of money into content we know our customers value."

Oh dear – if you’re a Sky customer, it looks like it might be time to work out a way of getting your Idris Elba: Fighter or Cake Boss fix somewhere else from next week.
http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017...ull-its-channels-from-sky-over-money-disputes

I find it amusing Sky are complaining about overcharging for a service! :lol:

Yes I am a Sky customer, and yes this may well make me cancel it.

The 12 channels under threat:
  • Discovery Channel
  • TLC
  • Eurosport 1
  • Eurosport 2
  • Animal Planet
  • Investigation Discovery
  • DMAX
  • Discovery Turbo
  • Discovery Shed
  • Discovery Science
  • Discovery History
  • Home & Health

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I can't wait for Sky to disappear (at least in the current format). When you see how the likes of Netflix operate (without constant ads!), Sky seems so antiquated, expensive and monopolising. I really like some of Sky's content - but it is so overpriced, so I was happy to sacrifice not having Sky Sports and Sky Atlantic.

Having "channels" seems like an outdated format for lots of content, especially on Sky where there are 100's of channels. Being able to stream or download on demand is so much easier and convenient. The only real exceptions are things like News channels, etc...

We dumped it around a year ago (IIRC), and I'm really pleased we did. I do miss some of the content, but I've saved a fortune and spend it on much more competitive services.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I can't wait for Sky to disappear

I'm hoping the disappear soon as well and Liberty Media ( New owners of F1 ) come up with a cheap and affordable way for F1 fans to watch F1 :thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
the Sky is falling

:eek:

the end of the world is nigh

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
It's all a bit beyond me....

Sky = Rupert Murdoch = Me no like

Plus I don't watch telly anyway so