TS and crystal reports compatability

G

We are using an application that allows reports to be exported into excel files and other file formats via crystal reports (seagate software). The developers of the application do not support terminal services at this time, however their application works fine under TS, except for the reports export to file feature. On a win xp machine with the application running, reports export correctly, however, on the TS the reports display on the screen fine, but when I click on the export button nothing happens. Is this a TS setup issue or is it a developer issue? I have tried a registering the dll's, and copying them to the system32 folder but no luck (tell me if either of these could be problematic). Any suggestions? Please do not tell me it's a developer issue.

G

Does the program run as an Administrator when logged onto an RDP Session? If yes, but won't run as an unpriviliged user, then Run filemon & regmon from Sysinternals.com and they'll tell you which files or registry entries you need to allow users to run the program

Patrick Rous
Microsoft MVP - Terminal Serve
http://www.workthin.co

----- Chad wrote: ----

We are using an application that allows reports to be exported into excel files and other file formats via crystal reports (seagate software). The developers of the application do not support terminal services at this time, however their application works fine under TS, except for the reports export to file feature. On a win xp machine with the application running, reports export correctly, however, on the TS the reports display on the screen fine, but when I click on the export button nothing happens. Is this a TS setup issue or is it a developer issue? I have tried a registering the dll's, and copying them to the system32 folder but no luck (tell me if either of these could be problematic). Any suggestions? Please do not tell me it's a developer issue.

G

Well since you specifically stated "The developers of the application do not support terminal services at this time", maybe they have a good reason for their statemen

Try this
1. Setup a test machine w/ Windows Server (your Version
2. Install and test your application on this OS to make sure it works w/o TS on this OS
3. If step 2 passes, uninstall your application and install Terminal Server (Terminal Services Application Server Mode in 2000
4. Install your application in "Install Mode", i.e. by running "change user /install" before the install, and "change user /execute" when the install is complete
5. Test agai
6. Check application log for errors if the program doesn't work

It's poor practice to test (or assume that they will work) applications on a production Terminal Server, because a faulty application can adversely affect many users

Patrick Rous
Microsoft MVP - Terminal Serve
http://www.workthin.com
----- Chad wrote: ----

I am the administrator and the program does not respond wether i'm logged on an rdp session nor the console.

G

Cha

About your TS and Crystal problem - tis not a developer thing. Did you get a resolution with this? Pelase, please if you did could you contact me

Ask a Question