Trouble With Setting Up Windows 2000/Win98 Dual Boot - Hard Disk Drives Not Found

Tim

Hello,

Hopefully someone will be able to help me out with this problem I am
having. I want to setup a dual boot scenario. I have 40GB hard drive
partitioned into 2 drives. I have Win98 on the first drive and wanted
to put Windows 2000 on the second partition.

From the Win98 desktop I ran the Windows 2000 setup CD and it copied
all the files to the hard drive and then it restarted and said that
ntldr couldn't be found. I looked up what that meant I think I solved
that problem by copying the sys.com file from my startup disk to the
hard drive. When I boot now, I don't get that message, however, it
won't boot into Windows 98. I tried running the win command after
is there because I copied it over from the startup disk.

When I try to boot from the Windows 2000 CD, I can get to the setup
screen and then I can choose repair or clean install. Whichever I
choose I get this message saying, "Setup cannot find any hard disk
drives". I don't know what the problem is. The drives are in fact
there, because I access them through a DOS prompt. One note, I have a
Siig ATA 133 PCI controller card in the computer. Not sure if that's
the problem or not.

Thank you very much for any help

Dave Patrick

1.) You can boot with your Win98 startup disk and issue the command
sys C:
this will rewrite the boot sector, then you can delete these files boot.ini,
ntldr, ntdetect.com, bootsect.dos, pagefile.sys and possibly ntbootdd.sys
from the root of the System partition C:\

2.) You didn't mention the drive controller (possibly SCSI, or ultra DMA, or
ATA100, or raid), but you may need to boot the Windows 2000 setup disks or
CD-Rom and *F6* very early and very important (at setup is inspecting your
system) in the setup to prevent drive controller detection, and select S to
specify additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to insert the
manufacturer supplied Windows 2000 driver for your drive's controller in
drive
"A"

If you wait and then S to specify additional drivers, then it may be too
late as Windows 2000 Setup at this point may have already assigned the
resources your drive's controller is wanting to use.

Then choose to install to the unallocated space.

Tim

Thank you for you help. I was unable to delet the files you mentioned, but
I did however use the driver disk for my hard drive controller to get
Windows 2000 to install and load up.

I have another big problem now.......I have the option on the startup menu
for Windows 2000 or Windows (98), when I choose Windows (98), it just drops
me to the C: DOS prompt. So, I got my Win98 startup disk out and thought
using the sys C: would fix it. Well, it didn't, now I can't even boot up to
the menu where I can choose which OS I want to load. All that happens now
is it boots to the C: prompt.

Any further help would be much appreciated, thank you

[...]

Microsoft MVP [Windows NT/2000 Operating Systems]

Tim said:
Hello,

Hopefully someone will be able to help me out with this problem I am
having. I want to setup a dual boot scenario. I have 40GB hard drive
partitioned into 2 drives. I have Win98 on the first drive and wanted
to put Windows 2000 on the second partition.

From the Win98 desktop I ran the Windows 2000 setup CD and it copied
[...]

This is on one hard drive, win98 on partition C and win2k on parition E. I
have a separate physical drive on D.

I did what you said and it gave me back the menu to choose and now I can
back into Win2K. However, when I choose the Windows (98) option it still
drops me to the C: prompt and doesn't load that OS. I know this is the
Win2K newsgroup, but do you know how I could correct this?

Thank you sir

Dave Patrick said:
Same or separate partitions?

Try booting the recovery console and from a command prompt issue the
command;
fixboot

To start the Recovery Console, start the computer from the Windows 2000
Setup CD or the Windows 2000 Setup floppy disks. If you do not have Setup
floppy disks and your computer cannot start from the Windows 2000 Setup CD,
use another Windows 2000-based computer to create the Setup floppy disks.
Press ENTER at the "Setup Notification" screen. Press R to repair a Windows
2000 installation, and then press C to use the Recovery Console. The
Recovery Console then prompts you for the administrator password. If you do
not have the correct password, Recovery Console does not allow access to the
computer. If an incorrect password is entered three times, the Recovery
Console quits and restarts the computer. Once the password has been
validated, you have full access to the Recovery Console, but limited access
to the hard disk. You can only access the following folders on your
computer: %systemroot% and %windir% (note: you'll need to F6 again and load
the drive controller driver in order to start the recovery console)

:
Hello,

Hopefully someone will be able to help me out with this problem I am
having. I want to setup a dual boot scenario. I have 40GB hard drive
partitioned into 2 drives. I have Win98 on the first drive and wanted
to put Windows 2000 on the second partition.

From the Win98 desktop I ran the Windows 2000 setup CD and it copied
[...]

Good, it's always best to install OS's on separate partitions as you did.
When you;
sys C:
this will rewrite the win98 boot sector and should have allowed win98 to
start. If it doesn't start, then there appears to be some other damage to
the OS. You might try booting the win98 CD-Rom, and do an over-the-top
install on C:\ (should leave installed apps, etc. intact). Once win9x is
again operational, follow the steps again to repair the Windows 2000 boot
sector again (fixboot).

Tim

Well, I must say that I am very impressed with Windows 2000 compared
to Windows 98. Runs much more smooth and efficiently. I don't need
Windows 98 anymore or the dual-boot setup.

I've got a simple (hopefully) question...

I want to get rid of Windows 98 on the C: partition, I have Win2k on
the E: partition. Can I just copy all the files I wish to save from
the C: to the E: and then just do a clean install of Win2K on the C:
partition wiping out Win98? Then I would still be able to access the
files on the E: drive through "My Computer" or "Windows Explorer" on
the C: partition and copy them back over to the C: and eventually
format the E: to NTFS making it clear of all the data that is on it?
I thought about all this and it seems like it would work. I hope you
can give another opinion.

Thank you so much sir

Dave Patrick

That would work fine depending on the size of the partition. I wouldn't
install Windows 2000 to smaller than 5 gB partition. Larger depending on the
applications you intend to run.

Tim

I did a clean install of Windows2K on the C partition using the NTFS
file system. Weird thing is though that I still get the dual boot
menu now it has 2 instances of Windows 2000 on it. I figured the
formatting of the C drive would have wiped out the reference to the OS
on the E drive.

How do I get rid of the dual boot menu at startup? I'd like to get
rid of it rather than "hide" it using the 0 second display option. Or
when I wipe out the E drive with a format will that get rid of the
dual boot menu?

Thanks for your help.

Tim said:
[...]

Remove the option you no longer want from boot.ini found in the root of the
system partition. Explorer|Tools|Folder Options|View, then radio button for
"Show hidden files and folders", then uncheck the box for "Hide protected
operating system files" Should read something like;

[boot loader]
timeout=10
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\winnt
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\winnt="Microsoft Windows 2000
Professional" /fastdetect