trial period expired after reinstall??

Strangiato

Sometimes if you try software, get the expiry message, uninstall it and
then reinstall it again there is a message that the trial period has already
expired.

Surely if you uninstall it all traces are removed from your system and
therefore how does it detect the previous install?

Of course, I don't blame them for this practice!

Bob Adkins

Sometimes if you try software, get the expiry message, uninstall it and
then reinstall it again there is a message that the trial period has already
expired.

Surely if you uninstall it all traces are removed from your system and
therefore how does it detect the previous install?

Of course, I don't blame them for this practice!

Well... it can be annoying. Sometimes you look at the program for 10 minutes
and it looks promising, but needs a feature or 2 added or a nasty bug
removed. You un install it. Then, you see an update a month later, and it
won't run. It can annoy honest people who are honestly trying to evaluate
the program.

Besides, I think it's unethical for software developers to leave registry
keys or any files on your computer.

Bob

Remove "kins" from address to reply.

Italy Anonymous Remailer

Well... it can be annoying. Sometimes you look at the program for 10 minutes
and it looks promising, but needs a feature or 2 added or a nasty bug
removed. You un install it. Then, you see an update a month later, and it
won't run. It can annoy honest people who are honestly trying to evaluate
the program.

Besides, I think it's unethical for software developers to leave registry
keys or any files on your computer.

Bob

Remove "kins" from address to reply.

So the companies that distribute software that is meant to be paid
for never get a cent because users just uninstall & reinstall the
trial version whenever it expires?

If a company advertises the fact that the software is not free, then
it has the right to prevent that software from being reinstalled when
it originally expires. Many software companies graciously provide
some free software, because the cost is covered by the other programs
they charge for. If you stopped their right to expire trial
software, then it would only result in the negative of a lot less
freeware programs being available.

Message posted using the freeware QuickSilver anonymous
poster/emailer - get it from http://www.quicksilvermail.net/

Steven Burn

Strangiato said:
Sometimes if you try software, get the expiry message, uninstall it and
then reinstall it again there is a message that the trial period has already
expired.

Surely if you uninstall it all traces are removed from your system and
therefore how does it detect the previous install?

Of course, I don't blame them for this practice!

There are 2 ways for a software developer to do this. The most common being
the registry. As this is the most well known, it is slowly being taken over
by the second method.

The second method involves placing a file in some misc folder (such as the
Windows\System folder), that tells the program when it was installed, and if
it was registered (along with some other generic misc info).

Tracking the file down is not very easy as it is normally encoded in binary
and placed in an obscure file such as a .dll that few people are going to
think of looking in.

Of course, there is most likely other ways to do this that I've not thought
of, but off the top of my head, the above are the two msot common methods I
know of.

--
Regards

Steven Burn
Ur I.T. Mate Group
www.it-mate.co.uk

Keeping it FREE!

Disclaimer:

Phred

Well... it can be annoying. Sometimes you look at the program for 10 minutes
and it looks promising, but needs a feature or 2 added or a nasty bug
removed. You un install it. Then, you see an update a month later, and it
won't run. It can annoy honest people who are honestly trying to evaluate
the program.

Yeah. The new version should recognises itself for what it is and
allow a new trial period -- it *also* should remove any residues from
the earlier version that were left behind for the purpose before it
installs its own "limiter".
Besides, I think it's unethical for software developers to leave registry
keys or any files on your computer.

I gather that some have even used a system where a particular sector
of your HDD is marked as "bad" or whatever, so that the program knows
it's been there before!

Cheers, Phred.

MLC

domenica 15/feb/2004 _Phred_ ha scritto:
I gather that some have even used a system where a particular sector
of your HDD is marked as "bad" or whatever, so that the program knows
it's been there before!

I think so, me too.
Otherwise, install monitors as Total Uninstall would be able to rimove the
traces left, and in these cases it doesn't.
I remember to have installed Delphi 7 for 10 minutes, because, seeing the 30
days evaluation time, I removed it (with TU) thinking "well, I'll study it
next holydays, now I don't have enough time". Then, I was not able to
install it anymore... and I'm still angry about it!

Phoenix

wrote in message

There are 2 ways for a software developer to do this. The most common being
the registry. As this is the most well known, it is slowly being taken over
by the second method.

The second method involves placing a file in some misc folder (such as the
Windows\System folder), that tells the program when it was installed, and if
it was registered (along with some other generic misc info).

Tracking the file down is not very easy as it is normally encoded in binary
and placed in an obscure file such as a .dll that few people are going to
think of looking in.

Of course, there is most likely other ways to do this that I've not thought
of, but off the top of my head, the above are the two msot common methods I
know of.

I would have thought it possible to capture everything with (my personal
favourite) Total Uninstall. Folders created and dll's dumped in \system
certainly are, along with registry entries (including the ones the developer
deliberately leaves out of his uninstall routine).

Bad sectors are another issue. I would hope this is an urban legend, I would
take great exception to someone doing this to my machine. I'm waiting for
the day that I see an installer tell me it can't proceed because I'm using
monitoring software, although I do recall that the old "Cleansweep" used to
cause some problems in it's time.

Phred

wrote in message

I would have thought it possible to capture everything with (my personal
favourite) Total Uninstall. Folders created and dll's dumped in \system
certainly are, along with registry entries (including the ones the developer
deliberately leaves out of his uninstall routine).

Bad sectors are another issue. I would hope this is an urban legend, I would
take great exception to someone doing this to my machine. I'm waiting for

See Maria's post in response to mine, outlining her unhappy experience
trying to uninstall a Delphi 7 trial copy using TU. [Message-ID:
<[email protected]>]

Though that doesn't necessarily prove the "bad sector" legend, it does
seem to indicate something too devious for your uninstaller to work
around.

I wonder if anyone else has had experience of this sort, whether with
Total Uninstall or other such programs designed to protect the user
from the remnants of defective or useless software?
the day that I see an installer tell me it can't proceed because I'm using
monitoring software, although I do recall that the old "Cleansweep" used to
cause some problems in it's time.

Cheers, Phred.

Bob Adkins

I gather that some have even used a system where a particular sector
of your HDD is marked as "bad" or whatever, so that the program knows
it's been there before!

Damn. That's going too far. If I ever caught someone doing that, I would
forward their program to the state DA and the Federal Justice Department.

Bob

Remove "kins" from address to reply.

Offbreed

Italy said:
So the companies that distribute software that is meant to be paid
for never get a cent because users just uninstall & reinstall the
trial version whenever it expires?

Install trial version .1, decide it is not sufficiently developed

Uninstall v .1

One year later, try to install trial v .2

Get "Trial period expired" message due to v .1

What human relations problem has just been created? Is this person
going to send any money to the author?

v .1 needs to have a key that does not block v .2

Italy Anonymous Remailer

[...]

Paul Blarmy

On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 10:18:33 +0100, MLC wrote...
I remember to have installed Delphi 7 for 10 minutes, because, seeing the 30
days evaluation time, I removed it (with TU) thinking "well, I'll study it
next holydays, now I don't have enough time". Then, I was not able to
install it anymore... and I'm still angry about it!

This is why I use GoBack, which whilst NOT freeware is certainly well
worth the investment for anyone who frequently tries out new software.

MLC

martedì 17/feb/2004 _Paul Blarmy_ ha scritto:
On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 10:18:33 +0100, MLC wrote...

This is why I use GoBack, which whilst NOT freeware is certainly well
worth the investment for anyone who frequently tries out new software.

I'm a user of GoBack, me too!
It saved me many times, since I bought it two years ago.
However, when I had that Delphi 7 "incident", I didn't know the consequences
on the future attempt, then I didn't use GoBack immediately.
As you know, GoBack lets you return only two, three days in the past (at
least in my system).

Offbreed

Italy said:
So the companies that distribute software that is meant to be paid
for never get a cent because users just uninstall & reinstall the
trial version whenever it expires?

People have to buy the NEXT trial version in order to try it out?

If trial version 2 is blocked because trial version 1 was in the
computer, then the author is not competent and the programs should be
avoided. It, and the author, are going to be nothing but trouble.

Paul Blarmy

On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 20:40:37 +0100, MLC wrote...
As you know, GoBack lets you return only two, three days in the past (at
least in my system).

I've just checked and as of this moment I can go back to February 3rd at
7:36pm.

Of course this afternoons defrag will probably cut that time right down!

Kanda' Jalen Eirsie

Greetings...

So the companies that distribute software that is meant to be paid
for never get a cent because users just uninstall & reinstall the
trial version whenever it expires?

You have apparently completely missed the point...

The real issue being that anyone doing a trial of the software should be intelligent
enough to realize that if the software was so poorly coded in the first place as to make
it impossible to re-evaluate the next trial because the idiot author hid some keys
somewhere... Well, That in itself is enough of a Darwinian moment to me....
All of his efforts to get me to try his software just became futile...

The point that you missed is that I as a consumer couldn't give a rat's ass what your
justification for cutting your own throat is... I couldn't care less about your high
falutin attitude over the so called rights of software developers to get paid for their
work... YOU might believe that shit - but reality says you are wrong! The real world has
very simple rules - Adapt or die - and I couldn't care less what your reasons for choosing
to die are!!!!
When it comes down to choosing between 2 programs that both do the same or similar
functions, I'm going to choose the one that doesn't annoy me. I'll choose the free
utility over the pay to play one... You have no RIGHT to expect any kind of re numeration
for your effort. You have to rely on the goodwill and honor of people to give you what
THEY believe your effort is worth in value... That's the very basis of a free market.

I've made $5 and $10 contributions via Pay pal to MANY small authors - Because I find
their software useful and I like to reward good coding efforts! But that decision to
donate is based on many factors that modify my perceived value of the program, including
useful lifetime, ease of use, ease of restoration, and a host of others...

ll
Kanda'

<>SPAM-KILLER<>- If you really want to contact me, then -
kandaje<at>bresnan<dot>net

You figure it out...

MLC

sabato 21/feb/2004 _Paul Blarmy_ ha scritto:
On Tue, 17 Feb 2004 20:40:37 +0100, MLC wrote...

I've just checked and as of this moment I can go back to February 3rd at
7:36pm.

Wow! now I can go back only to yesterday at 3:05pm :(
Of course this afternoons defrag will probably cut that time right down!

Yes, it will, but I never had more than 3 days, you have 18!
I think it's due to my frequent defrags and all the logs activity from Kerio
and Dialog.

Spacey Spade

Phoenix said:
I would have thought it possible to capture everything with (my personal
favourite) Total Uninstall. Folders created and dll's dumped in \system
certainly are, along with registry entries (including the ones the developer
deliberately leaves out of his uninstall routine).

Bad sectors are another issue. I would hope this is an urban legend, I would
take great exception to someone doing this to my machine. I'm waiting for
the day that I see an installer tell me it can't proceed because I'm using
monitoring software, although I do recall that the old "Cleansweep" used to
cause some problems in it's time.

Total Uninstall would report a change to autoexec.bat, or config.sys,
for example, but it would not change it back to previous. If win98
type sysedit in the Run menu.