Transferring Information, files, Programmes , etc from one computer to another

Wendy

I am planning on getting a new laptop computer. With it, I will be getting
an 8 GB USB flash drive memory stick.

What I will be planning to do is put all the information, programmes, files,
etc onto the memory stick and then transferring it to the new laptop
computer.

Baring in mind that the new laptop computer will come with the "Windows
Vista Ultimate Operating System" preinstalled along with the "Windows Vista
Speech Recognition Program" on it.

My question is, by transferring all my files etc from my old laptop to my
new one, will my speech recognition program work within the new laptop? By
doing this, will I not need to train it again and it will be just as
accurate as it was on my old laptop? Or will I need to start all over again
in the new laptop with its speech recognition program ("Ease of Access
Centre") and train it as from new?

Just how does one go about this?

Wendy

meerkat

Wendy said:
I am planning on getting a new laptop computer. With it, I will be getting
an 8 GB USB flash drive memory stick.

What I will be planning to do is put all the information, programmes,
files, etc onto the memory stick and then transferring it to the new
laptop computer.
You will have to RE_INSTALL any programs that you need W.
The reason is, that most programs create Registry entries, and will not work
unless these are present.

You can generally move all your own files, pics, music etc.

Richard Urban

Hi Wendy,

Unfortunately, you can not transfer installed programs from computer to
computer. What ever program you want on the new computer must be installed
from the original media. Using Windows Easy Transfer (WET) you "can"
transfer over your personal files and system settings.

Even though you do the above I do not know whether the Speech Recognition
settings will do as you desire. The new computer will have a different CPU
(likely more powerful), a different sound system and possibly a different
built-in microphone. Any, or all, of these factors may enter into the
equation. I can only say try it and see.

If you do it, and it works to your advantage, please come back here and post
your results. I am sure that it will be beneficial to others.

And please, do come back and continue to read any answers to this question.
Others may have gone down the same path and may be able to give your more
helpful advice.

Wendy

You will have to RE_INSTALL any programs that you need W.
The reason is, that most programs create Registry entries, and will not
work
unless these are present.

Thanks for your reply "meerkat", didn't think it would be that easy.
You can generally move all your own files, pics, music etc.

Does this include all my files in "My Documents"?

Wendy

Wendy

--

Richard Urban
Microsoft MVP

Thanks for your answer Richard and I will come back and let you know how I
got on :)

Wendy

Richard Urban

Wendy,

Be aware that the above post is spam and is trying to get you to spend money
that you likely have no need to.

There are other business representatives that occasionally post here. They
are very helpful and are upfront with the fact that they do not represent
Microsoft. In fact, they do not even (in some cases) give any reference at
all to their company. They are just trying to assist because of their
expertise.

Not so the above company!

Ken Blake, MVP

[...]

Moving data files is easy. Just copy them to the memory stick. then
copy the memory stick to the new computer.

Regarding moving programs, the answer depends on what program you are
talking about. However, be aware that almost all programs except an
occasional one--typically a small one--will *not* permit you to do
this, so by and large all your programs will have to be reinstalled,
not moved.

That's because the program is not just a single file (or even files)
that you can move in that way. Most programs also consist of registry
entries, and other files and references within files located
elsewhere.

You don't say what your existing speech recognition program is, but
you will almost certainly have to reinstall it if you want to use it.
However it's possible that even if you have to reinstall it, you might
*not* have to retrain it. Check its documentation to see if the result
of your training is on a file somewhere that can be moved to the new
computer.

John Doe

Marty Martin Markoe uses many aliases while attacking his
adversaries and advertising his commercial websites.

http://www.knowbrainer.com/
that we now know that Mike Tavia is another one of approximately 20
KnowBrainer forum aliases for Martin Markoe of emicrophones who was
banned from this forum for personal attacks. We are not certain why
Martin has felt the need to resort to these types of tactics..."

The malicious spammers from eMicrophones MyMSSpeech stalk, slander,
threaten others, and violate the privacy of innocent people who have
nothing to do with fighting eMicrophones MyMSSpeech spam.

Following are a few examples that illustrate the annoyance and
frustration eMicrophones MyMSSpeech spam from Marty Martin Markoe
causes users seeking help in speech recognition groups and why
advertising is prohibited on the unmoderated USENET except in
specifically labeled groups.

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.speech.users/msg/3becc9fa6c340ffc?
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.speech.users/msg/473a2b3f9dd6a0f0?
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.speech.users/msg/d256b8b7563712e9?
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.speech.users/msg/6014c0e38032578f?
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.speech.users/msg/3b57c2d47a1d5994?
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.speech.users/msg/ce73180162c1d199?
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.speech.users/msg/ba6cc5fd879272fd?
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.speech.users/msg/84f362b69d93a460?
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.speech.users/msg/5585a5e972b1cc1c?

See also:
eMicrophones, MyMSSpeech
billyrichbroker yahoo.com
M.M. <twatface41 yahoo.com>
MartyMarkoeeMicrophonesInc
mmarkoe gmail.com
mmarkoe yahoo.com
Martin Markoe <martin emicrophones.com>
Martin Markoe <martin speechcontrol.com>
Martin Markoe <mmarkoe optonline.net>
Michael Mendick <michael emicrophones.com>
NEWSGROUP DESTROYER <twatface41 yahoo.com>
wbonneau gmail.com
wwwMyMSSpeechcom

From: =?Utf-8?B?d3d3Lk15TVNTcGVlY2guY29t?= <wwwMyMSSpeechcom discussions.microsoft.com>
Subject: Re: Transferring Information, files, Programmes , etc from one com
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 09:47:15 -0700
Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windows.vista.general

Richard Urban said:
Be aware that the above post is spam and is trying to get you to spend money
that you likely have no need to.

My company, eMicrophones, Inc., Has been selling microphones on the Internet
since 1997. We started off and speech recognition as the first IBM business
partner for the IBM personal dictation system in 1994. We have been
supporting speech recognition and microphones and software for speech
recognition since 1994.

In the summer of 2006, as a representative for my company, I was invited to
meet the speech recognition work group at Microsoft in Redmond. They
explained why WSR was developed and asked for my feedback. When I attempted
to use their Plantronics microphones to test the beta version of WSR, I had
poor results. The head of the workgroup and several associates will quite
surprised when I took out the Sennheiser ME3 headset and was able to dictate
successfully. I think it was at that point they realize that a good
microphone was important. The training session for WSR now mentions the
importance of a good microphone.

There are other business representatives that occasionally post here. They
are very helpful and are upfront with the fact that they do not represent
Microsoft. In fact, they do not even (in some cases) give any reference at
all to their company. They are just trying to assist because of their expertise.
Not so the above company!

I've never represented myself as working for Microsoft. As a matter of fact
if you go to my home page, you can click the link to see and contact us
within the text that says:
"WE HAVE NAMES AND FACES
Many eCommerce web sites make it difficult to find who they are and where
they are.Click Here to see us and check the Contact Us page to locate us."
http://www.mymsspeech.com

But as a matter of fact, I'd tried looking up information on you, Richard
Urban, MVP and could find nothing to verify who you are. My reason for
looking you up, was to call you and refer you to the head of the Microsoft
Windows speech recognition work group. They helped guide and provide
information to write the WSRToolkit.

As a business person, of course I am trying to promote my products. However,
you will see that every response I'd give is backed by years of experience
and with the best interest of the person asking the question. If you would
like to take the time to peruse our website, you will see there are links to
frequently asked questions the guide to getting started with WSR, and sound
files on how to sound and how not to sound for best accuracy. It is our
philosophy, but if the customer is not successful, then we will not be
successful. Being in the eCommerce business today is dependent on not only
having great prices are providing help to a distinct community of users.

Sincerely,
Marty Markoe, eMicrophones, Inc.
See us Richard, at:
http://www.mymsspeech.com