Today's Walk (With a Friend)

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Lovely day today, lots of sunshine so time for a walk over the Moors. :)

As I left Great Ayton I suddenly found myself being followed. By a very friendly dog. I just couldn't shake him off and he followed me for the whole seven miles.

Started by going up to Captain Cook's Monument which stands on Easby Moor.

Here are a couple of pics of the Monument.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Then across to Roseberry Topping.

attachment.php

And then back to Ayton via Airyholme Farm.

attachment.php

This is the original farmhouse in which Capt. James Cook lived as a boy until he went off to sea as a teenager. He was actually born in the village of Marton, about five miles away.

And this is the friend who accompanied me on the walk.

attachment.php

He was very good throughout the whole walk and never caused any trouble. When I stopped to have a bite to eat I expected him to fuss around me for some food but he simply sat himself down a few feet away and waited till I'd finished. I thought he was a stray as he did not have a collar.

When I got back almost to the village a car approached and a relieved owner greeted him. She told me that his collar was found on the branch of a bush and she suspected that it had been accidently pulled off.

Well, I had a good day with the dog, I think he had a good day doing the walk and the lady got her dog back in the end. So everyone was happy. :)

Attachments

• DSCF4096ABCD.jpg
    DSCF4096ABCD.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 318
  • DSCF4100ab.jpg
    DSCF4100ab.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 310
  • DSCF3195g.jpg
    DSCF3195g.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 360
  • DSCF4586a.jpg
    DSCF4586a.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 303
  • DSCF4584a.jpg
    DSCF4584a.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 406

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Interesting pics Niv, that is quite a monument - were the standing stones put up at the same time? Or are they a more ancient feature which the monument was built amongst?

Aww, what a lovely little dog, sounds like he thoroughly enjoyed accompanying you on your walk. It's great that he and his owner were reunited. She must have been so relieved to find him safe and sound with you. :D

Reaction score
:thumb: You certainly have some lovely and historic countryside up there nivrip. We do here but it is difficult to get away from the maddening crowd here except on the North and South downs.:thumb:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
- were the standing stones put up at the same time?

Those standing stones are merely very old gate posts and are but four feet tall. :) They are part of an old delapidated wall.

I took the pic from a very low level simply to get the monument framed by the gate posts. :D

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Those standing stones are merely very old gate posts and are but four feet tall. :) They are part of an old delapidated wall.

I took the pic from a very low level simply to get the monument framed by the gate posts. :D

Aww, gateposts! I thought it was a small henge, lol, oh well, that angle made for a very nice effect in your photos. :thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Cracking pics! I really enjoy the picture threads on here :thumb:.

It sounds like the dog had quite an adventure - I can only imagine how relieved the owner must have been!

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Looks like a lovely walk! The weather has been so nice this past couple of days :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Aww, gateposts! I thought it was a small henge, lol, oh well, that angle made for a very nice effect in your photos. :thumb:

Well you were close :D though they would have been big hinges as they are big gateposts :lol:

Ask a Question