A walk around Alderley Edge

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Made the most of the nice weather today with a walk around Alderley Edge. The village itself is WAG territory, but there's a nice place owned by the National Trust that is great for walks. There are old mines riddled through the hillside, including an old copper mine that you can visit on certain days.

Alderley Edge 7.JPG

This water was coming through the rock, and clearly has been for a while judging by the old stone trough underneath:
Alderley Edge 1.JPG

Alderley Edge 2.JPG

Alderley Edge 3.JPG

Alderley Edge 4.JPG

One of the mine entrances:
Alderley Edge 5.JPG

Alderley Edge 6.JPG

An open seam:
Alderley Edge 8.JPG

And finally a panorama from one of the viewpoints (looking North - Manchester is towards the left):
Alderley Edge 9.jpg

I felt like I thoroughly deserved my BLT and chips after all the ups and downs :cheers:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Super photos and beautiful scenery @Becky! What a great place to enjoy the autumn colours which are beginning to show.

Parts of your walk looked quite rugged, so I can imagine how welcome your BLT and chips would have been. I really enjoy these posts. Thank you for sharing your walk with us. :thumb: :D

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Super photos and beautiful scenery @Becky! What a great place to enjoy the autumn colours which are beginning to show.

Parts of your walk looked quite rugged, so I can imagine how welcome your BLT and chips would have been. I really enjoy these posts. Thank you for sharing your walk with us. :thumb: :D

Thankfully they've put a lot of effort into having good paths and maintaining them - there were only a few bits that were boggy. With all the ups and downs it was certainly a good workout for the glutes! :D

The only thing missing was an ice-cream. The van wasn't out when we got there, and we were too full after lunch to manage one! Made up for it with a trip to a local bakery though :drool:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Looks like a good place to go exploring! :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
It is quite a nice spot though there are nicer ones in the area. We had a days climbing in the area way back in the seventies.
You might be interested in the mine tours if they are still running, knowing cavers they probably are.

but there is an incredible network of old copper mines underneath it going back to pre roman times. The derbyshire caving club organise open days down there sometimes when they take ordinary punters down, its well worth going, I really enjoyed it.

https://www.ukclimbing.com/forums/rocktalk/alderley_edge_crag-255587

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
It is quite a nice spot though there are nicer ones in the area. We had a days climbing in the area way back in the seventies.
You might be interested in the mine tours if they are still running, knowing cavers they probably are.

Yeah they do have occasional tours of the copper mines so Ian might do one sometime. Not sure if my back/leg are up to it though unfortunately, so he'll have to take lots of photos for me :D