Today was St.Georges day

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
The Dragons fire has obviously been dampened ...did you celebrate or did you even know ?? i did but felt so so let down by our new so political approach to life...and around me that no-one celebrated or mentioned it...:blush:

St George R.I.P :(

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
No, I didn't know. Sad really.

But as you say, PC has ruined everything for the English amongst us. We wouldn't be expected to celebrate anything remotely English for fear of offending anyone. :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Good, its a daft thing to celebrate anyway. What exactly would you have celebrated about it?

I would prefer to have an day to celebrate real heroes, rather than early Turkish Christian martyrs!

It is a sad indictment of modern British society that we rally around St George's day as a form of national identity, in my humble opinion. Multiculturalism is utter nonsense and has served only to divide all ethnicities from each other, to the extent that many British born and bred black, asian and indian people do not even consider themselves to be British. Instead, they take the nationality of their parents as it provides a definitive culture for them to be a part of.

If society sought to find the common ground between people rather than accentuate the differences, there would be no need for people to cling to St George's day as a national celebration. I would rather have a day that concentrates on celebrating the bravery and sacrifice of those in service of this country as a way to regain a sense of national unity, than celebrate a semi-mythical historical figure with no connection to us at all.

Again in my opinion, people tend to view things from a skewed perspective. What could you possibly celebrate about St George's day? You can say it celebrates being British, but it doesn't. It celebrates nothing, and has no purpose. It uses the national flag, but the NF hijacked the Union Jack and St George's cross years ago. People view it with importance because of a lack of alternative national identities.

Apologies for this ending up being so in depth, it wasn't meant to! Just my thoughts on the matter.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I celebrated St.Georges Day in style hence i know have a hangover.
Pub we went to had some specials on just for the day, i tried them all!:lol:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
A fair few salient points there PotGuy, some I agree with and some I don't.

I think it's true to a certain extent that some loony councils have made us English folk feel a little guilty about waving a red cross flag about but I don't give a monkeys, I'm proud to be British and will wave my English flag if I want to.

There are now many second, third and even fourth generation immgrants from the West Indies and parts of Asia who do actually consider themselves English/British. Ever heard a fella with a turban with a Scottish accent? Quite odd. But not as odd as a white geezer I once spoke to who had a broad Jamaican accent, that really did seem strange.

Anyhow, I digress. I think the whole Saints day thing is worthless and pointless myself, each of the four saints local to the UK have fairy stories for history, it's a nonsense. And I'm not a Christian either which makes it even more insignificant for me.

I like the idea of a serviceman's day rather than a saints day, I think that really would be celebrated.

As for yesterday, St Georges Day, I done a St Georges Day disco in an Irish pub that was decked out with lots of English bunting and banners. Didn't play one Paddy tune all night.

It was a resounding failure.

Didn't get more than twenty punters in the pub at any one time I think the threat of an English based music night scared all the Paddies away for the evening. Plus, I suppose, the sun is out, it's easter and lots of folk have gone away for the weekend.

Still, worked out ok for me, finished early and got paid the same :)

Reaction score
A fair few salient points there PotGuy, some I agree with and some I don't.

I think it's true to a certain extent that some loony councils have made us English folk feel a little guilty about waving a red cross flag about but I don't give a monkeys, I'm proud to be British and will wave my English flag if I want to.

There are now many second, third and even fourth generation immgrants from the West Indies and parts of Asia who do actually consider themselves English/British. Ever heard a fella with a turban with a Scottish accent? Quite odd. But not as odd as a white geezer I once spoke to who had a broad Jamaican accent, that really did seem strange.

Anyhow, I digress. I think the whole Saints day thing is worthless and pointless myself, each of the four saints local to the UK have fairy stories for history, it's a nonsense. And I'm not a Christian either which makes it even more insignificant for me.

I like the idea of a serviceman's day rather than a saints day, I think that really would be celebrated.

As for yesterday, St Georges Day, I done a St Georges Day disco in an Irish pub that was decked out with lots of English bunting and banners. Didn't play one Paddy tune all night.

It was a resounding failure.

Didn't get more than twenty punters in the pub at any one time I think the threat of an English based music night scared all the Paddies away for the evening. Plus, I suppose, the sun is out, it's easter and lots of folk have gone away for the weekend.

Still, worked out ok for me, finished early and got paid the same :)

Interesting stuff flops.

I wasn't defending the PC nonsense surrounding the Union Jack and the English flag. As far as I'm concerned, we should be proud of our flag and what it represents, and anyone who says otherwise is a pandering fool.

Plus, I was actually talking specifically about the current generation of ethnic minorities. I was reading my mate's dissertation which had some very intriguing statistics on how black people >21 view themselves with regard to their nationality. The second, third and fourth generation grew up around assimilation, and assimilated.

Those under multiculturalism (obviously I am generalising heavily!!) have largely taken their parent's culture and heritage, and often only recognise their British nationality for the job market. Many are reluctant to even admit to being British, especially in London, and increasingly Pakistanis.

Aside from that, who decided to put an English-only night in a Paddy pub?! :lol:

Ask a Question