Today I learned...

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
It is RÄKKÄ in Lapland, so reindeer try to get away from the insects... plus, it is quite warm right now (31 °C in Kemijärvi.)

So, a couple of geniuses decided it would make sense to seek relief at Kemijärvi city hall. They were not admitted indoors, but shade is better than nothing.

VIDEO

:lol:

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Today I learned if you have a table of ten people there are there is 3.6 million ways you can arrange those 10 people around a table.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Today I learned that Pumpernickel means Devil's Fart

The philologist Johann Christoph Adelung states that the word has an origin in the Germanic vernacular where pumpern was a New High German synonym for being flatulent, and Nickel was a form of the name Nicholas, commonly associated with a goblin or devil (e.g. "Old Nick", a familiar name for Satan), or more generally for a malevolent spirit or demon. Hence, pumpernickel means "devil's fart", a definition accepted by the publisher Random House, and by some English language dictionaries, including the Merriam-Webster Dictionary.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumpernickel#Etymology

:lol: :lol: :lol:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
TIL that I overpaid my tax to the HMRC for last year. :(

By the sum of £0.01. :D

I will not be getting a refund but it will be taken off next year's bill. :thumb:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Cor, don't let those riches go to your head @nivrip! :fool:

Still, I suppose it's better than finding out you owe tax... :lol:

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
TIL: Researchers construct all-optical pocket calculator

‘We’re able to perform binary number calculations and show, for instance, how this nanostructure can carry out these functions just like a simple pocket calculator—except that instead of using electricity, the nanostructure uses only light in its operation,’ says Dr. Henri Jussila, who completed a post-doc at the university on the topic.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Giant hands of Gods

Visitors walk along the 150-meter long Cau Vang "Golden Bridge" in the Ba Na Hills near Danang.
Nestled in the forested hills of central Vietnam two giant concrete hands emerge from the trees, holding up a glimmering golden bridge crowded with gleeful visitors taking selfies at the country's latest eccentric tourist draw.

1066947539.jpg
:cool:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Saw it in the paper a couple of days ago. :thumb:

It's fascinating.

Another view...……

Bridge.JPG

:)

Abraham Andres Luna

Child of God
Reaction score
We should be using a 28-day calendar with 13 months instead of this varying Julian calendar. It would help set our bodies clocks and natural rhythm.

Ask a Question