Today I learned...

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Sad news indeed :(

We recently had a wasps nest in our roof - got someone out to 'evict' them. I was glad to see the last of the little bar stewards :dance:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Today I learned it pays to RTFM.

Trying to make a 15-0-15 PSU with a pair of voltage regulators I was getting a + voltage of 15V but a negative voltage of 32V.

After spending lots of time checking my circuitry I finally read the regulator's spec sheet which said it only works with input voltages between 17.5 & 35V. I was feeding both + & - rails 42V.

Whoops. I need a different transformer I do.

Was that a bit on the nerdy side? ;)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Looks very interesting, and nice design too. I like how he has included photos of versions by other DIYers :nod: Are you making the full housing too?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
TIL: Bees don't have as much sperm as they used to.

TIL.... "Should a drone (bee) succeed in mating, he soon dies because the penis and associated abdominal tissues are ripped from the drone's body after sexual intercourse"

:eek::eek::eek:

A three way active crossover.

I already have three home made Mosfet amplifiers, switcher and preamp then I intend to make a 3 way home loudspeaker setup.

That would be a cracking build thread in the A/V forum - I really liked the turntable renovation one :).

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
They are some mighty fine looking looking speakers. Please, please show us the final product!

TIL.... "Should a drone (bee) succeed in mating, he soon dies because the penis and associated abdominal tissues are ripped from the drone's body after sexual intercourse"

:eek::eek::eek:
Mating between a single drone and the queen lasts less than 5 seconds, and it is often completed within 1–2 seconds.
The guy bee gets a rough deal! :eek::lol:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Are you making the full housing too?

If you mean the cabinets then yes, I will be. Considering buying a rotary power saw or I may just get the panels cut to size at a local timber merchants. I have all the parts for the crossover but the speakers may take some time to complete.

The active crossover was a project published in the January edition of Elektor magazine and I've bought the PCB's from them. Back in the eighties or early nineties the same magazine also published a similar project which I built and I used that crossover with my disco.

That would be a cracking build thread in the A/V forum - I really liked the turntable renovation one :).

That can be arranged, I'll take some snaps.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Today I learned what spider droppings look like. Been getting weird dots on the floor near the patio door for ages, and I kept cleaning them off and they kept coming back. Know what they are now :eek:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Today I learned what spider droppings look like. Been getting weird dots on the floor near the patio door for ages, and I kept cleaning them off and they kept coming back. Know what they are now :eek:
How do you know? Did you analyze them. :D

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
How do you know? Did you analyze them. :D

Haha nope! Worked it out. Had my suspicions, so googled 'spider poo' and found my supporting evidence! Some weird looking pictures also came up... Exhibit A below:

5YU

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Haha, there are some great 60's Spiderman memes out there. :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... you learn something new everyday.

I just can't remember what it was I learned yesterday. :wave:

Reaction score
Today I Learn that my office I rent, the rent is going up due to::eek:

"The ongoing global expansion and the upwardly need for affordable (this is some mistake!) office accommodation in a forward dynamic society post Brexit":rolleyes:

And I thought everyone wanted out of England Plc??:p

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Today I learned that...

Below Constanța county close to the Black Sea and the Bulgarian border, lies a cave that has remained isolated for 5.5 million years.

Despite a complete absence of light and a poisonous atmosphere, the cave is crawling with life. There are unique spiders, scorpions, woodlice and centipedes, many never before seen by humans, and all of them owe their lives to a strange floating mat of bacteria.
Source: http://www.bbc.co.uk

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Below Constanța county close to the Black Sea and the Bulgarian border, lies a cave that has remained isolated for 5.5 million years.

Fascinating read! :thumb: I've heard about this place before, must be an intriguing place for scientists.

What's more, the air is low in oxygen: it contains just 10% oxygen rather than the usual 20%. Without breathing apparatus, you would soon develop a headache. Visitors can only stay down for 5 or 6 hours before their kidneys pack in.

It just sounds so alien! :eek:

TIL: I wanna do Beer Can Chicken on the BBQ. :cheers:

Sounds great! I hope we're all invited :drool:

Ask a Question