Tiny printing

I have the same problem with an Epson CX5000. I have responded to several
items that have been posted. 1. On my computer, there is not an option to set
page size under the page option on the IE7 tool bar. 2. I looked at page
setup under File. Page size there was 8.5 X 11 and all margins were .25. 3.
Changing text size under the Page option on the tool bar only changes the
text size on the screen. It does not change the printed text size. 4. Printer
preferences with my Epson CX5000 does not have an option to change the text
size. 5. Outlook express is not available on my new Dell that came with Vista
Premium installed. 7. I also have the tiny print problem when I print from
articles from IE7.

Fred, There is no page setup option under the page option on my tool bar.
There is a page setup option under the printer icon (next to the page icon)
on my tool bar and it has a page setup option. It's the same page setup
option that is under the file menu. The page size on my Vista Premium
computer running WM is 8.5 X 11 and all margins are .25. I still have the
small print problem. Also changing the text size under the page option only
changes the text size on the monitor screen. It does not change the printed
text size.

mac

richtown said:
Fred, There is no page setup option under the page option on my tool bar.
There is a page setup option under the printer icon (next to the page
icon)
on my tool bar and it has a page setup option. It's the same page setup
option that is under the file menu. The page size on my Vista Premium
computer running WM is 8.5 X 11 and all margins are .25. I still have the
small print problem. Also changing the text size under the page option
only
changes the text size on the monitor screen. It does not change the
printed
text size.

The printed output from WM is set in Internet Explorer>view menu>text size
Some have reported that it will not change it for Rich Text messages so hit
the key combo Alt V H and then print.

mac said:
The printed output from WM is set in Internet Explorer>view menu>text size
Some have reported that it will not change it for Rich Text messages so hit
the key combo Alt V H and then print.

Will you please list the exact steps to accomplish this? I just use my computer and can not talk the (computer) talk. I can follow directions if they are listed exactly, remember that you are talking to someone with no knowledge of computer lingo. Thank you so much if this works.

mac

OK, here you are: The printed output from WM is set in Internet
Explorer>view menu>text size

This means that you need to open Internet Explorer to make the change,
(Internet Explorer is the program that you use to go on the internet to do
searches with etc).

On the toolbar across the top you will see the File - Edit - View - Favs -
Tools - Help menus, (if it is not there, right click on the toolbar and
select Menu Bar, now you should see it).

Select the view menu, and scroll down to text size and select the size that
you want to print your mail in.

Now try Printing?

If that did not effect the size that you just printed, then you need to make
another change, go to the Tools menu in *Windows Mail* and select "Options",
then select the "Read tab", on the box that appears select "Read all
messages in Plain Text" Now click Apply then OK.

Now try Printing?

Get back if you have any problems.

Mac is correct, The Windows Mail tiny print problem can now be changed by
changing the text size option under the IE7 view pull down menu. I tried this
before (about 4/13/07) and it did not work then. Others have reported this
same experience. But it works now. Before it only changed the size on the
monitor screen. I don't know what changed. As far as I can remember, I didn't
change anything else. The only problem now is that it changes the text size
on both the monitor screen and the printed output. I would like to be able to
control the size on the screen and the size on the printed output
independently. The optimum size for printed output is not the same as the
optimum size for the information on the monitor screen and it is really very
disappointing to have to change back and forth all the time. It did not work
this way with XP Home and Outlook Express.

Gary VanderMolen

richtown said:
Mac is correct, The Windows Mail tiny print problem can now be changed by
changing the text size option under the IE7 view pull down menu. I tried this
before (about 4/13/07) and it did not work then. Others have reported this
same experience. But it works now. Before it only changed the size on the
monitor screen. I don't know what changed. As far as I can remember, I didn't
change anything else. The only problem now is that it changes the text size
on both the monitor screen and the printed output. I would like to be able to
control the size on the screen and the size on the printed output
independently. The optimum size for printed output is not the same as the
optimum size for the information on the monitor screen and it is really very
disappointing to have to change back and forth all the time. It did not work
this way with XP Home and Outlook Express.

It was always like that, as far as I can remember.
Although I never got the super tiny print problem, changing the viewed
text size in IE (under XP Home) always changed OE's printed text size.
At least it did for me.

That may be so. I never tried it. I always got what I considered normal print
with normal sized text on the screen with IE and Ourlook Express. With Vista
I do not. I have to make the screen text on both IE and Window Mail larger
than I consider normal to get print I can read.

The answer to the "Tiny Print" problem on my system is a wide screen monitor
and the "Shrink to Fit" option. With my new Vista based computer I purchased
a wide screen 20' monitor. On the wide screen the height is less and the
width is greater so more information can be recorded horizontally. The screen
on the monitor can be setup by the programmers as multiple windows if they
wish but they often use the full screen as a single window. When they do that
on a wide screen, longer lines of text and/or more pictures are displayed
horizontally. Then, when an attempt is made to print the full screen of
information, shrink to fit reduces the size of the printed information (text
and graphics) to fit the width of the printed page which is usually 8.5" X
11". I'm sure how the Microsoft programmers reduce the graphics and pictures
but the method used to reduce the width of text lines is to use a smaller
font. Probably 6 or 4 or maybe even 2 if that font size is possible. The
result is a page with "tiny print" and difficult to read text.

One way around this is to change the text size under the view option on the
IE print tool bar. I use IE7 but I assume this works for all versions of IE.
Another way that sometimes works is to use print preview and change the print
size from "Shrink to fit" to 100%. That seems to work on some left aligned
things I print from IE7. The right side gets truncated but it often isn't
important. Print Preview is assessable from the IE7 tool bar "File" pull down
menu or the pull down menu associated with the printer Icon on the left of
the IE tool bar. This works with IE7 articles from my home page and similar
IE7 things to be printed.

At this point I'm not sure that the "tiny print" problem applies to email.
Anyway, not all of it. And the print preview option also doesn't seem to be
available with email. At least I haven't been able to figure out how to
access it. But the regular emails I have looked at are in a smaller window on
the screen and they do not require shrinkage so they print ok. But some
things use the full screen and that's where the problem is. For instance, if
I go to Windows Mail Help and click on "Questions and Answers from
Communities" I get a response that uses the full width of my wide screen
monitor for information. When I print that information, the shrink to fit
process condenses it to tiny print characters to get everything on the
printed page. In this instance I think it is using IE7 because I can use the
IE7 pull down menu to access "Print Preview" and then change the shrink to
fit option to 100%. That makes the text larger but in this case, it truncates
some important information on the right side of the screen.

I tried printing in landscape mode and the extra paper width gives the
shrink to fit process a better option. It can then use larger fonts and the
print is more readable. But since I want to print in portrait mode, landscape
really isn't the optimum solution.

The reason I didn't have this problem with my old computer running XP is
that it had a 19" square monitor (if "square monitor" isn't a term, I just
invented one). The square monitor had less horizontal information on the
screen and the printing process didn't have to shrink the information as much
to make it fit on an 8.5" x 11" page.

It appears this is a wide screen monitor problem not an operating system
problem.
I assume that other people that are having "Tiny Print" problems also have
wide screen monitors. If not I would like to know.

A word of warning, if you don't already have a wide screen, think twice
before you go for one.

I don't know if there is a good solution to this problem but I would sure
like to find one. It seems like the proper solution would require more
formatting than just shrink to fit. Text lines need to be reformatted so they
are shorter and can use a larger font. A "reformat text to fit" option seems
to be more appropriate and that would probably require substantial help from
the Microsoft programming staff.

richtown said:
[...]

I have the tiny print problem with IE7, Vista and 20" monitor. HOWEVER, in
addition, although weverything that I can find to "set" is .75 margins and
landscape mode, my tiny print comes out of my HP 8450 in landscape mode.
Sounds like a margin setting somewhere but I haven't been able to find where.
AND, this problem occurs on only certain e-mails,not all. Any further ideas?

Louis

Arvina Copeland said:
My tiny print is not confined to e-mails (private correspondence) alone.
Long detailed instructions that I want to follow, etc., may or may be tiny.
I never know until I print it.

Arvina Copeland

John Hills said:
I have just noticed that this only happens with emails forwarded to my
Windows Mail and not to those sent directly. Does that help isolate the
problem?

John

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
Sorry, I don't know then what else could be causing the problem except a
printer option/setting- maybe something like "Print _% of original size"
or
"Fit to page."

Have you checked the printer manufacturer's website for Vista compatible
drivers?

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

"John Hills" <john.hills[at]thedell16.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
I can print normally from my old Outlook 2003 and from every other
program
except Win mail.

If Outlook is still installed, look at the Outlook info at
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/answers.htm#font_size

"John Hills" wrote in message
Unfortunately this does not solve the problem. It increases font size
on
screen but the printing is still tiny and illegible. Any other
suggestions?

John

"Don Varnau" wrote in message
Hi,
Windows Mail is using settings from Internet Explorer. Go to IE>
View>
Text
size. If you don't have the Menu Bar enabled, it's under IE> Page>
Text
size.

"John Hills" wrote in message
Hi

I have just started using Windows Mail having previously always
used
Outlook. I am having a number of issues but the worst one at
present
is that
whatever font I use on the screen the emails I print use a font so
tiny as
to be illegible. Any suggestions?