Tiny printing

John Hills

Hi

I have just started using Windows Mail having previously always used
Outlook. I am having a number of issues but the worst one at present is that
whatever font I use on the screen the emails I print use a font so tiny as
to be illegible. Any suggestions?

John

Don Varnau

Hi,
Windows Mail is using settings from Internet Explorer. Go to IE> View> Text
size. If you don't have the Menu Bar enabled, it's under IE> Page> Text
size.

Hope this helps,
Don
[MS MVP- IE]

mac

John Hills said:
Hi

I have just started using Windows Mail having previously always used
Outlook. I am having a number of issues but the worst one at present is
that whatever font I use on the screen the emails I print use a font so
tiny as to be illegible. Any suggestions?

John

The printed output from WM is controlled by settings in Internet Explorer.

Text Size = view>text size
Margins = File>page set-up.

HTH?

John Hills

Unfortunately this does not solve the problem. It increases font size on
screen but the printing is still tiny and illegible. Any other suggestions?

John

John Hills said:
Hi

I have just started using Windows Mail having previously always used
Outlook. I am having a number of issues but the worst one at present is that
whatever font I use on the screen the emails I print use a font so tiny
as
to be illegible. Any suggestions?

John

dev

/John Hills/ said:
Unfortunately this does not solve the problem. It increases font size
on screen but the printing is still tiny and illegible. Any other
suggestions?

You checked FILE|PRINT|PRINTER PREFERENCES? In my Canon set up there
are print size options listed. Your situation may be different.

mac

John Hills said:
Unfortunately this does not solve the problem. It increases font size on
screen but the printing is still tiny and illegible. Any other
suggestions?

That DOES work -- You must change the text size in INTERNET EXPLORER!!

John Hills

I did!!!! All that does is make my screen font in IE much too big and makes
no difference whatsoever to the print size, which is still tiny.

Don Varnau

Hi,
Sorry, I don't know then what else could be causing the problem except a
printer option/setting- maybe something like "Print _% of original size" or
"Fit to page."

Have you checked the printer manufacturer's website for Vista compatible
drivers?

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

I very recently changed operating systems from Windows XP to Vista Basic.
Some things that I print have a text size that is readable and some are tiny.
All e-mail that I print is too tiny for me to read without a microscope.
The only options that I have found (ones you have listed as helps) only
change the size of the text viewed on the screen (moniter), but when printed
are as tiny as ever. I have a hp psc 2175 all-in-one printer and I did not
encounter this problem before I changed operating systems. Can you offer any
suggestions?

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
If Outlook is still installed, look at the Outlook info at
http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/archive/answers.htm#font_size

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

John Hills said:
Unfortunately this does not solve the problem. It increases font size on
screen but the printing is still tiny and illegible. Any other suggestions?

John Hills

I have an HP Deskjet 5650 and have checked the HP website, which says that
no drivers are needed with Vista. Thanks for your suggestions. If others are
not having this problem maybe I shall just have to buy a new printer. Or a
copy of Outlook, which I have used previously and which I prefer. Very
annoying, especially as Outlook is no longer included in the Microsoft
Office Home Edition. Since email is the main program I use I feel as if
Vista has put me backwards not forwards!

Don Varnau said:
Hi,
Sorry, I don't know then what else could be causing the problem except a
printer option/setting- maybe something like "Print _% of original size"
or
"Fit to page."

Have you checked the printer manufacturer's website for Vista compatible
drivers?

Don
[MS MVP- IE]

John Hills said:
I can print normally from my old Outlook 2003 and from every other
program
except Win mail.

Yes, I checked the options. No, it was not % of size or shrink to fit
options. I will try the HP site for Vista compatible drivers to eliminate
this as the source of the problem. I thought (it seemed logical to me) that
that a wrong option or preference exercised would affect all print jobs
unless changed. The tiny print is only affecting e-mail from my Windows Mail
site and news articles that I try to print from my Internet Explorer Home
Page. Maybe other people don't print out e-mails or news articles. I use my
computer for genealogical research and I put the research from friends and
fellow researchers in paper files.

Arvina Copeland

John Hills said:
I can print normally from my old Outlook 2003 and from every other program
except Win mail.

John Hills

I have just noticed that this only happens with emails forwarded to my
Windows Mail and not to those sent directly. Does that help isolate the
problem?

John

John Hills said:
I can print normally from my old Outlook 2003 and from every other
program
except Win mail.

Pam

I'm having the same issue. I noticed it when I tried to print an email message that I've already sent. Incoming mail prints perfectly although I have only had this vista system a few days so there may be other instances where I'll have the problem. I have an hp 3120 all in one printer. I've tried all the suggested ideas posted so far and have had no luck. Still searching for a fix...

http://www.eggheadcafe.com

Fred

Microsoft has struck again. The problem is in the default settings of Internet Explorer. On initial setup, it sets the margins of the printout to 4" left and right and top and bottom which compresses what is to be printed to the center of the page. To fix, go to Internet Explorer Printer "Page Setup" and change the margins to what you want. I am using .75" for all and getting an o'k printout. It appears some idiot at Microsoft imbedded the default settings with these 4" settings to just jerk us around.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com

Fred

Set the page margins in internet explorer. Under page on the tool bar, select page setup and set the margins to something other than 4". I am usning .75" for all settings.

http://www.eggheadcafe.com

DGuess

Not seeing that here. Settings are as advertised. Might be something or
someone played with your printer.

IE7 on Vista or XP are correct. Was talking on the phone to a client and he
says his are the as advertised.

It's easy to place blame elsewhere.

in message news:[email protected]...

My tiny print is not confined to e-mails (private correspondence) alone.
Long detailed instructions that I want to follow, etc., may or may be tiny.
I never know until I print it.

Arvina Copeland

"John Hills" wrote in message
Hi

I have just started using Windows Mail having previously always
used
Outlook. I am having a number of issues but the worst one at
present
is that
whatever font I use on the screen the emails I print use a font so
tiny as
to be illegible. Any suggestions?

When I first noticed it, I had a HP 2175 All-in-One printer. Now, I have a
HP Photosmart C4180 All-in-One printer. Nothing has changed. Still the tiny
print on some stuff. I believe that it has something to do with the Vista
operating system. The only time that I ever encountered the tiny print
before was a single genealogy file sent to me that I could not enlarge enough
to read or to print. Several friends that I sent it on to, could enlarge it
enough to read, but could not enlarge it enough to read if printed out.

Arvina Copeland