This is giving me the irrates - Media Player


M

Mac53

I've re-installed sysems quite a number of times with no problems, but this
problem's got me!!!

System has partitioned HD ( C & D)
Reformatted C: and re-installed Windows XP then installed the chipset.
Device manager: All drivers etc.. installed without problem.
All updates downloaded and installed from Microsoft site.
This system previously was able to play DVD's and AVI's but now doesn't.
Media player says it's missing codecs but how can this be. I installed
Media player 11 in my system a number of times and it always played DVD's.
Re-formatted and re-installed- Media player still not playing DVD's! What's
up with the codecs missing? I shouldn't need to download codecs or buy
them.
System installed with original Windows XP disk + SP2 which instals Media
player 10 with same problem (missing codecs)
What can I do about this or where can I go to read up about this problem.

Mac.
 
Ad

Advertisements

J

John

Mac53 said:
I've re-installed sysems quite a number of times with no problems, but this
problem's got me!!!

System has partitioned HD ( C & D)
Reformatted C: and re-installed Windows XP then installed the chipset.
Device manager: All drivers etc.. installed without problem.
All updates downloaded and installed from Microsoft site.
This system previously was able to play DVD's and AVI's but now doesn't.
Media player says it's missing codecs but how can this be. I installed
Media player 11 in my system a number of times and it always played DVD's.
Re-formatted and re-installed- Media player still not playing DVD's! What's
up with the codecs missing? I shouldn't need to download codecs or buy
them.
System installed with original Windows XP disk + SP2 which instals Media
player 10 with same problem (missing codecs)
What can I do about this or where can I go to read up about this problem.

Mac.

Mac53, if the codec is MPEG-2, then you need to install QuickTime player.

Take a look here:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/knowledgecenter/mediaadvice/0079.mspx
 
M

M.I.5¾

Mac53 said:
I've re-installed sysems quite a number of times with no problems, but
this problem's got me!!!

System has partitioned HD ( C & D)
Reformatted C: and re-installed Windows XP then installed the chipset.
Device manager: All drivers etc.. installed without problem.
All updates downloaded and installed from Microsoft site.
This system previously was able to play DVD's and AVI's but now doesn't.
Media player says it's missing codecs but how can this be. I installed
Media player 11 in my system a number of times and it always played DVD's.
Re-formatted and re-installed- Media player still not playing DVD's!
What's up with the codecs missing? I shouldn't need to download codecs or
buy them.
System installed with original Windows XP disk + SP2 which instals Media
player 10 with same problem (missing codecs)
What can I do about this or where can I go to read up about this problem.

Media player does not come with the codecs to play DVDs by default. The
chances are that you installed them when you installed something else.
Installing a trial DVD player utility such as WinDVD should install the
required codecs.

Why did you install Media Player 11? It comes with all the digital rights
management stuff that won't lt you do what you want to do.
 
M

Mac53

M.I.5¾ said:
Why did you install Media Player 11? It comes with all the digital rights
management stuff that won't lt you do what you want to do.
Hi,
So what your telling me is that if a system is freshly installed and the
only media program then installed is Media Player, then I can't play a dvd?
What about Windows Movie Maker, are also saying I can't import and play a
dvd, wmv or avi file?
Media player 11 is installed on my own system and it plays my dvd's etc...
they just won't play on the system I mentioned earlier.

Mac
 
Ad

Advertisements

M

M.I.5¾

Mac53 said:
Hi,
So what your telling me is that if a system is freshly installed and the
only media program then installed is Media Player, then I can't play a
dvd?

Yup. It is for this reason that most DVD drives ship with a bundled DVD
player application. I am given to understand that there are some freeware
DVD codecs available on the 'net. You can probably google for them as well
as I can.
What about Windows Movie Maker, are also saying I can't import and play a
dvd, wmv or avi file?

Windows Movie Maker will deal with .wmv and .avi files (in many formats).
It will not handle .vob (i.e. DVD) files.
Media player 11 is installed on my own system and it plays my dvd's etc...
they just won't play on the system I mentioned earlier.

codecs are the key.
 
Ad

Advertisements


Ask a Question

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments. After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.

Ask a Question

Top