The Ultimate W2K stumper

J

Jason

Check this problem out...any advice on a resolution, post here!

Our corporate parent has pushed out update scripts to all W2k boxes on the network. Since then, one (and only one) box has had their windows media player usurp desktop icons for .lnk and .url files. The association still shows the correct application under properties, and the registry appears synchronous with other W2K stations, but for some reason these icons will not associate with the typical applications. The apps that got usurped are excel and IE for the .lnk and .url files respectively.

My troubleshooting has included re-creating the shortcuts, rolling back Media Player to 7 (was at 9), re-creating registry entries for the two file types to default settings, and rolling back the updates themselves. After no success I posited the ? to both my boss and the MS network admin at our corporate parent. All drew a blank. Any ideas would be appreciated.

G

George Hester

Have you checked what the file associations say in File Types in Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder settings... | File types?

Normally this is a result of a corrupted shelliconcache file. You can just check the above then delete then right-click desktop
| Properties | Appearance | drop down icon | change size down by 1 to 31 and then Apply | OK. Do again and put size back
to 32. If this is an updated Windows 98 then it may not work. In that case delete shelliconcache then reboot. If it is a
Windows NT 4 upgrade then logoff instead of rebooting.

--
George Hester

Our corporate parent has pushed out update scripts to all W2k boxes on the network. Since then, one (and only one) box has had their windows media player usurp desktop icons for .lnk and .url files. The association still shows the correct application under properties, and the registry appears synchronous with other W2K stations, but for some reason these icons will not associate with the typical applications. The apps that got usurped are excel and IE for the .lnk and .url files respectively.

My troubleshooting has included re-creating the shortcuts, rolling back Media Player to 7 (was at 9), re-creating registry entries for the two file types to default settings, and rolling back the updates themselves. After no success I posited the ? to both my boss and the MS network admin at our corporate parent. All drew a blank. Any ideas would be appreciated.

A

aD

Jason said:
Check this problem out...any advice on a resolution, post here!

Our corporate parent has pushed out update scripts to all W2k boxes on
the network. Since then, one (and only one) box has had their windows
media player usurp desktop icons for .lnk and .url files. The
association still shows the correct application under properties, and
the registry appears synchronous with other W2K stations, but for some
reason these icons will not associate with the typical applications.
The apps that got usurped are excel and IE for the .lnk and .url files
respectively.

My troubleshooting has included re-creating the shortcuts, rolling back
Media Player to 7 (was at 9), re-creating registry entries for the two
file types to default settings, and rolling back the updates themselves.
After no success I posited the ? to both my boss and the MS network
admin at our corporate parent. All drew a blank. Any ideas would be
appreciated.

*bites at a challenge*

Have you tried completely removing all references to the affected file
types from everywhere you can find, then rebooting and replacing them?

Does the behaviour affect anyone that logs in? (can't remember if file
types are per-user!) On that note have you tried creating a new profile to
test it out?

As I haven't got WMP 10 I can't see if there are any options for it to
capture lnk/url file types - that might be worth a look.

You could try using an Internet Explorer Repair (use Add/Remove Programs)
to see if it's resetting of .url at least sorts that one out.

HTH!

aD

J

Jason

And George is the winner! Guess my "ultimate" claim was a little premature...the correct icons are re-associated with the desktop shorcuts now. I guess congrats are in order...as an aside, his show desktop icon in the quick launch is not showing the "pretty picture" that the user is used to...*sigh*...still accomplishes the goal, but not there...I re-created the showdesktop.scr in the user | local settings | Application Data | Microsoft blah blah blah of the registry, but the icon association is gone now...very peculiar...
Have you checked what the file associations say in File Types in Windows Explorer | Tools | Folder settings... | File types?

Normally this is a result of a corrupted shelliconcache file. You can just check the above then delete then right-click desktop
| Properties | Appearance | drop down icon | change size down by 1 to 31 and then Apply | OK. Do again and put size back
to 32. If this is an updated Windows 98 then it may not work. In that case delete shelliconcache then reboot. If it is a

--
George Hester

G

George Hester

Quick Launch icons come from here:

C:\Documents and Settings\%profile%\Application Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch

Check the icons and shortcuts by looking at their properties in there.

--
George Hester
And George is the winner! Guess my "ultimate" claim was a little premature...the correct icons are re-associated with the desktop shorcuts now. I guess congrats are in order...as an aside, his show desktop icon in the quick launch is not showing the "pretty picture" that the user is used to...*sigh*...still accomplishes the goal, but not there...I re-created the showdesktop.scr in the user | local settings | Application Data | Microsoft blah blah blah of the registry, but the icon association is gone now...very peculiar...

--
George Hester

B

Bob I

The "Show Desktop" icon is in "column 9" of shell32.dll if you want to
"change icons"

T

Thufir Hawat

George said:
Quick Launch icons come from here:

C:\Documents and Settings\%profile%\Application
Data\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
Check the icons and shortcuts by looking at their properties in there.
[..]

When clicking on the "show desktop" icon I accidentally
dragged-and-dropped it to the desktop, then re-dragged it to the task
bar, then deleted (oops) the "show desktop" file on the desktop.

right click icon-->properties-->target:
"C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\Show Desktop.scf"

This icon now appears as an "unknown file" type, not the picture of,
whatever the icon's supposed to be, but that's secondary.

Microsoft Windows 2000 [Version 5.00.2195]
(C) Copyright 1985-2000 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator>dir
Volume in drive C has no label.
Volume Serial Number is #########

Directory of C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator

01/31/2005 06:17p <DIR> .
01/31/2005 06:17p <DIR> ..
01/31/2005 06:19p <DIR> .xnap
01/14/2005 12:54p <DIR> Desktop
01/26/2005 11:13p <DIR> Favorites
01/30/2005 04:22p <DIR> My Documents