THE PERSONAL.XLS work book not loading.

Ray

This problem is driving me crazey. Everytime I look for a solution on
the net I don't seem to beable to find one.

I have several macros stored in my personal.xls work book. it is in
the Program Files Microsoft Office office11 xlstart folder.

I was working in that when I opened a workbook the personal would open
hidden and the macros would be available.

a couple of days ago excel locked up and I had to use Task Manager to
kill the process.
Now my personel will not open. To get the macros available I have to
open the personal then open the file i want to work on.

i have checked all the paramaters that I can find. and I still can not
get the thing to open.
I could reload office and it might fix it
there has got to be something that is corrupted that I can find and
fix
can anyone tell me where it is?

Thanks
Ray

Jim Cone

Ray,
Check for any disabled items from the Help (menu) | About Microsoft Excel ...
"Disabled Items" button.

If that doesn't help, then you could ...
Copy your code out to Notepad.
Delete the Personal.xls file.
Record a macro to create another one.
Paste your code into the new file.
--
Jim Cone
Portland, Oregon USA

"Ray"
wrote in message
[...]

Gord Dibben

My Personal.xls resides in

C:\Documents and Settings\Gord\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

That's where Excel creates it if I record a macro to Personal Macro Workbook.

After checking to see if it has been disabled(see Jim's reply) maybe move it to
the above folder.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Dreiding

This strange phenomenon is also happening to me. Here are some of steps I’ve
taken and their result.
1. Saved my PERSONAL.XLS file (just in case something bad happens)
2. Deleted the PERSONAL.XLS file
3. Recreated it through record a macro – The file is correctly in my
applications data\... folder
4. Opening Excel through the START->ALL PROGRAMS->EXCEL2003 the PERSONAL.XLS
file is automatically added in. (This is what I expected)
5. Opening Excel through double-clicking an Excel file no longer
automatically adds in the PERSONAL.XLS file. This used to work yesterday. I
did do a lot of MSACCESS –to- EXCEL and back transfers, but this shouldn’t
disable Excel from opening the PERSONAL.XLS file through double-clicking.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
- Pat

P.S. This will be in another question to the forum. I have a simple excel
file that can't import into Excel. I think something is corrupted (time to
reboot & repair and pray)

Gord Dibben

Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar

1) Start>Run "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)>OK.
2) Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)>OK.

See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.

In that case Start>Run "C:\yourpath\excel.exe" /regserver(quotes required)>OK.

For the second problem.........how are you trying to "import" the Excel file
into Excel and what happens when you try?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Ray

Ray,
Check for any disabled items from the Help (menu) | About Microsoft Excel ....
"Disabled Items" button.

If that doesn't help, then you could ...
Copy your code out to Notepad.
Delete the Personal.xls file.
Record a macro to create another one.
Paste your code into the new file.
Jim - This is what i did. There is something that seems to get messed
up in the file and breaks the process that opens it. I have several
users that i help on this and I had to do the same on all there
systems. I wish someone would come up with a fix for the problem.

also there are two different paths and the file could be in either one
of them

C:\Documents and Settings\Gord\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel
\XLSTART
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\office11\xlstart

I had Personal.xls in both of them and that did not work
I went into EXCEL set up and put the path in the place where is says
open files in this folder. It is usually blank so I filled in the path
and it still did not work
so then I did what Jim suggested and that worked.

thanks for everyones help
Ray

Alan

[...]

If necessary, you may need to look for some professional services. You
may try Advanced Excel Repair at http://www.datanumen.com/aer/ This
tool is rather useful in salvaging damaged Excel xls files

Dave Peterson

You should read the post before responding to it.

Ray found the solution. It wasn't anything your program could fix.

Andrew Burgin

Gord Dibben said:
Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar

1) Start>Run "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)>OK.
2) Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)>OK.

See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.

In that case Start>Run "C:\yourpath\excel.exe" /regserver(quotes required)>OK.

For the second problem.........how are you trying to "import" the Excel file
into Excel and what happens when you try?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

I have user with an identical issue, i have tried all of the suggestions
here but it still refuses to open personal.xls when double clicking an
existing file and isn't showing in disabled items.

any further suggestions?

Andy

Gord Dibben

Next question is........where do you have Personal.xls stored?

Is it in your XLSTART folder?

Can you open Personal.xls by double-clicking or by right-click and "Open"?

Are you sure it is not opened but hidden?

Gord

Andrew Burgin

It is stored in c:\documents and settings\username\application
data\microsoft\excel\xlstart

on opening excel from start menu its fine, opens as hidden, perfect

on opening an excel document, excel opens fine but personal.xls is not
loaded as a hidden or visible sheet and is not in disabled items.

i have tired the unreg and reg fix, recreated the macro in a new blank
personal.xls, added the file path to the open all items in this folder
section to no avail, makes no difference to the situation when opening
existing documents directly

Gord Dibben said:
Next question is........where do you have Personal.xls stored?

Is it in your XLSTART folder?

Can you open Personal.xls by double-clicking or by right-click and "Open"?

Are you sure it is not opened but hidden?

Gord

I have user with an identical issue, i have tried all of the suggestions
here but it still refuses to open personal.xls when double clicking an
existing file and isn't showing in disabled items.

any further suggestions?

Andy
[/QUOTE]

Dave Peterson

Just curious...

What other files are in that XLStart folder?

In fact, do you have other XLStart folders (you may have more than one) and what
other files are in those?

Gord Dibben

Strange.

Try one more.................uncheck "ignore other applications" in
Tools>Options>General.

If no joy maybe run a repair from Help>Detect and Repair.

Gord

Andrew Burgin

I've not managed to get hold of the user but from memmory there is also an
XLstart in program files but that folder is empty, i tried copying
personal.xls to it so both locations contained the same data bt the fault
continues.

Cindy Nealon

I've been trying for 2 hours to get PERSONAL.xls to load for existing workbooks.

Unchecked "ignore other applications" and everything is working fine.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Cindy

Gord Dibben wrote:

Strange.Try one more.................
28-Aug-08

Strange

Try one more.................uncheck "ignore other applications" i
Tools>Options>General

If no joy maybe run a repair from Help>Detect and Repair

Gord

Ray,Check for any disabled items from the Help (menu) | About Microsoft Excel .
Ray
Check for any disabled items from the Help (menu) | About Microsoft Excel ..
"Disabled Items" button

If that doesn't help, then you could ..
Copy your code out to Notepad
Delete the Personal.xls file
Record a macro to create another one
Paste your code into the new file
--
Jim Con
Portland, Oregon US
http://www.realezsites.com/bus/primitivesoftwar

wrote in message
This problem is driving me crazey. Everytime I look for a solution o
the net I don't seem to beable to find one

I have several macros stored in my personal.xls work book. it is i
the Program Files Microsoft Office office11 xlstart folder

I was working in that when I opened a workbook the personal would ope
hidden and the macros would be available

a couple of days ago excel locked up and I had to use Task Manager t
kill the process
Now my personel will not open. To get the macros available I have t
open the personal then open the file i want to work on

i have checked all the paramaters that I can find. and I still can no
get the thing to open
I could reload office and it might fix i
there has got to be something that is corrupted that I can find an
fi
can anyone tell me where it is
Thank
Ray

My Personal.
My Personal.xls resides in

C:\Documents and Settings\Gord\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTAR

That's where Excel creates it if I record a macro to Personal Macro Workbook

After checking to see if it has been disabled(see Jim's reply) maybe move it t
the above folder

Gord Dibben MS Excel MV

:

Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar 1) Start>Run "excel.
Close Excel first and On the Windows Taskbar

1) Start>Run "excel.exe /unregserver"(no quotes)>OK.
2) Start>Run "excel.exe /regserver"(no quotes)>OK.

See the space between exe and /regserver

You might have to designate a full path to excel.exe.

In that case Start>Run "C:\yourpath\excel.exe" /regserver(quotes required)>OK.

For the second problem.........how are you trying to "import" the Excel file
into Excel and what happens when you try?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

Re: THE PERSONAL.XLS work book not loading.
[...]

Ray found the solution. It was not anything your program could fix.

Alan wrote:

--

Dave Peterson

Re: THE PERSONAL.XLS work book not loading.
y,
l ...

Hi,

Andrew Burgin wrote:

--

Dave Peterson

Strange.Try one more.................
Strange.

Try one more.................uncheck "ignore other applications" in
Tools>Options>General.

If no joy maybe run a repair from Help>Detect and Repair.

Gord

I've not managed to get hold of the user but from memmory there is also an
I've not managed to get hold of the user but from memmory there is also an
XLstart in program files but that folder is empty, i tried copying
personal.xls to it so both locations contained the same data bt the fault
continues.

:

How to display a Gravatar Image with 100 Percent Client Script Code
http://www.eggheadcafe.com/tutorial...c-b0877c10ecb4/how-to-display-a-gravatar.aspx