The Optimum Rig

Reaction score
Hi all...
I'm looking at a total re-build and have been considering the 'optimum' spec...by which i mean a rig that isn't just best bang for your buck at one end of the scale, or the 'ultimate' system at the other end, but a system that meets the following criteria:
1. It includes top end components that purr like a Rolls Royce (i.e. they don't need to be overclocked to run the most demanding games)
2. The components are at the sweet point of performance without tipping into the ridiculous cost bracket
3. They don't compromise on class (i.e. they make you feel good just knowing you have the best, but you don't feel stupid for what you paid)

This is a tall order, and not cheap...so what would you suggest as a spec that would keep a PC gaming enthusiast happy for the next 12 months?

:cheers:

Reaction score
Budget unlimited...but that's the point...I can afford top end stuff, but I don't want to spend 'silly' money. For example, Asus Mars II vid no doubt provides a 20% boost over top end cards but costs far more than 20% over their price...SILLY!

Assume I am a sensible enthusiast who wants the best but not the ridiculous.

does that help?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Initial thought - don't use sli or xfire, performance gain for outlay, imo, immediately takes us into 'silly money' realm.

I'll have a think but no promises.

If you take a peek at my machine's spec, that runs everything including all games that I throw at it. The most obvious performance increase would be a graphics card upgrade, to one costing twice as much again.

And, again imo, if money is not the most important criteria, stick with Intel (CPU) & Nvidia (Graphics).

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
If your talking money no object then this is about as best you can do without going totaly mad.. :drool:

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-164-OE&groupid=43&catid=2040&subcat=1270

System Specification
- Case: Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P80N Super Tower
- Power Supply: Corsair Professional AX1200W
- CPU: x2 Intel Xeon X5650 2.66GHz @ 4.00GHz
- Motherboard: EVGA Classified SR-2 DDR3 Dual Socket Motherboard
- RAM: Corsair XMS3 12GB (6x2GB) DDR3 PC3-12800C9 (1600MHz) Tri-Channel
- Hard Drive: Intel "Elmcrest" 250GB SSD
- Graphics Card: x2 Nvidia GeForce GTX 580 1536MB GDDR5 Configured in SLI
- Sound: Asus Xonar D2X PCI-Express Premium Sound Card
- Optical: Samsung SH-B083L/BSBP 8x BluRay ROM / 16x DVD±RW Drive - Black
- Storage: Seagate Barracuda Green 2TB SATA 6GB/s
- Cooling: x2 Prolimatech Megahalems CPU Cooler w/ Sharkoon Silent Eagle 120mm 2000RPM fans

On a more down to earth spec, something like this would probably fit the bill? Obviously the price would be a little higher after you have selected your extras. :)

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=FS-174-OE&groupid=43&catid=2040&subcat=1270

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
All good and I know I've mentioned this before, but if you like to play Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion and Fallout 3 don't use the Asus Xonar sound card cos those games won't work with it. I know, cos I had one of those cards. Consider Auzentech or Creative sound cards.

And I still say using a pair of 580's in sli is a waste of money, you could have a week on some Greek Beach for the money saved in using a single 580 or even a dual GPU card.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I wish I'd known about that before I'd sold my Xonar and bought the Auzentech, which was probably around a couple of years ago. I kept the Asus Xonar for around five months during which time I installed two updated drivers, neither of which solved the problem. I e-mailed Asus Tech support and heard not a damned thing from them.

It looks as though the fix in the thread you linked to came long after I'd given up on my Xonar, annoying.

Still, the important point here is, I suppose, is that it looks as though those game titles will now work with an Asus Xonar sound card.

Just by way of mentioning, apart from the glitches I encountered, the Xonar was a fine card, excellent sound quality, I was sorry to get rid of it. It's replacement, the Auzentech Prelude 7.1, is every bit as good, if not better, but it's a liitle difficult for me to be judgemental as I'm probably biased ;)

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Thats quite a bit to spend on a computer.

Thats actually and insane amount. :D

Stick with a single GFX card - it should be enough for anything you throw at it. If your using multiple monitors at high resolution, then it will be different.

Ask a Question