Monitor choice

Reaction score
I use my PC for gaming mostly, and usually FPS (CoD mainly)...
Over the years I have arrived at the view that these games lend themselves best to a single monitor, but have not yet decided the optimum screen size.

Some might think that to capture all of the essential action in a typical viewing position, anything more than 19" is to much (i.e. you might have to actually move your head from side to side to see what's going on)...while others consider a bigger monitor with higher resolution the best way to go...24" or more.

What do my esteemed PC reviewers think?

:user:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Interesting ... I hadn't thought of 'size' being an issue until I finally upgraded to my 22" LuckyGoldstar flattron widescreen monitor, now, it's just right.

I adjusted my viewing distance ever so slightly, which happened to coincide with a new pair of computer/reading glasses. :)

:user:

[EDIT ... oh, the biggest asset is the fact that you can tuck "things you need to see" to the sides of the monitor]

Attachments

• ScreenShot00006.jpg
    ScreenShot00006.jpg
    181.6 KB · Views: 112

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I've got a 22" LG monitor and I'm really happy with it - although if I played more games I'd probably go for a 24" next time as I can imagine that would be really immersive. Over 24" and the prices goes up rapidly, so that seems to be a good sweet spot :).

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I have two monitors, one in the living room (24") and one in the bedroom (22") and both sizes suit their locations.

Funnily enough I swapped them round this morning (the 22" is playing up, flickering at start until it settles down and I wanted to prove it wasn't a KVM switch at fault) and the 24" did seem a little too big for it's location as I'm sitting closer to it there, the 22" suited better.

But generally speaking, bigger the better. Also note highest res and response times and whether monitor is capable of taking DVI and HDMI, if that matters to you.

EDIT: This came in an e-mail this morning, I almost bought it http://www.ebuyer.com/159946-lg-w2442pe-bf-full-hd-tft-lcd-24-hdmi-monitor-w2442pe-bf-aek

But first I'm going to check out the Power Supply in the 22" Samsung that's playing up, it's usually a passive component breaking down and I may be able to replace it.

Reaction score
Just seen a review of the new Asus PA238Q in PC Format magazine - raves about it - suggests it might be 'the (very nearly) perfect PC monitor and gives it 95/100.
At 23'' this may well be my next monitor:dance:

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
I have an Asus VS247H 24" Widescreen LED Monitor, cost me £162 from OCUK, best purchase I have made in ages, and a huge step up from the 17" I had before. Now when I have spreadsheets open, no need for scrolling up and down or sideways. Not much of a gamer, but good for the few games I do play. :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Just seen a review of the new Asus PA238Q in PC Format magazine - raves about it - suggests it might be 'the (very nearly) perfect PC monitor and gives it 95/100.
At 23'' this may well be my next monitor:dance:

Just had a look at the specs of that and it looks the bee's knees :thumb: - not a bad price for an IPS panel either!

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
I have two monitors, one in the living room (24") and one in the bedroom (22") and both sizes suit their locations.

Funnily enough I swapped them round this morning (the 22" is playing up, flickering at start until it settles down and I wanted to prove it wasn't a KVM switch at fault) and the 24" did seem a little too big for it's location as I'm sitting closer to it there, the 22" suited better.

But generally speaking, bigger the better. Also note highest res and response times and whether monitor is capable of taking DVI and HDMI, if that matters to you.

EDIT: This came in an e-mail this morning, I almost bought it http://www.ebuyer.com/159946-lg-w2442pe-bf-full-hd-tft-lcd-24-hdmi-monitor-w2442pe-bf-aek

But first I'm going to check out the Power Supply in the 22" Samsung that's playing up, it's usually a passive component breaking down and I may be able to replace it.

Don't know if you fixed your flickering screen Flopp's but that sounds to me like it could be an LCD invertor, normally get flickering when its on its way out..
Cheap to fix too as they are no more than about 15 quid and just snap in and out, normally reside behind the LCD panel itself, make sure you get part no. from it for replacement as some invertors come paired with panels now, thats if your going to have a go yourself!
If you have already sorted it then I am sorry for wasting anyones time..:)

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
If you have already sorted it then I am sorry for wasting anyones time..:)

No - not at all, thanks for the information I was completely unaware of that :thumb:

I haven't taken it apart yet but I will shortly.

Talking of which I can't actually see any retaining screws, they're probably all hiding under stickers and possibly where the stand snaps on.

I hope ;)

Thanks for the info :)

Reaction score
I bought a Dell U2311H recently - for 200 Euros.

IPS panel, 1080p, good quality - I don't know a better deal so far.
at this price you can get 2 for the price of one 24" IPS panel...
I recommend getting the old model (maybe discounted) - I've read somewhere that the new U2311HM is not better.

Ask a Question