The musings of a suicidal Linux user

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
just call me Sir ...

muckshifter@linux-aoph:~/boinc/BOINC>
muckshifter@linux-aoph:~/boinc/BOINC> boinccmd --project_attach www.worldcommunitygrid.org **************************************

muckshifter@linux-aoph:~/boinc/BOINC> boinccmd --get_state

======== Projects ========
1) -----------
name: World Community Grid
master URL: http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/
user_name: muckshifter
team_name: The PCReview Crew II
resource share: 100.000000
user_total_credit: 422065.287899
user_expavg_credit: 3046.841588
host_total_credit: 0.000000
host_expavg_credit: 0.000000
nrpc_failures: 0
master_fetch_failures: 0
master fetch pending: no
scheduler RPC pending: no
attached via Account Manager: no
ended: no
suspended via GUI: no
don't request more work: no
disk usage: 0.000000
last RPC: 1358459560.101489
project files downloaded: 0.000000
======== Applications ========
1) -----------
name: hfcc
Project: World Community Grid

======== Application versions ========
1) -----------
application: hfcc
version: 6.40
project: World Community Grid

======== Workunits ========
1) -----------
name: HFCC_target-10_02597874_target-10_0000
FP estimate: 59243422836484.000000
FP bound: 1184868456729680.000000
memory bound: 125000000.000000
disk bound: 314572800.000000

======== Results ========
1) -----------
name: HFCC_target-10_02597874_target-10_0000_1
WU name: HFCC_target-10_02597874_target-10_0000
project URL: http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/
report deadline: Sun Jan 27 21:52:53 2013
ready to report: no
got server ack: no
final CPU time: 0.000000
state: 1
scheduler state: 0
exit_status: 0
signal: 0
suspended via GUI: no
active_task_state: 0
stderr_out:
app version num: 0
checkpoint CPU time: 0.000000
current CPU time: 0.000000
fraction done: 0.000000
swap size: 0.000000
working set size: 0.000000
estimated CPU time remaining: 41801.274753
supports graphics: no

:bow: :cheers: :dance: :cheers: :bow:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Sir Quad,

Given your current place of domicile, and, given that this is a predominantly British forum, I have no choice but refer to Rule #5 of the Royal Notice titled "To the citizens of the United States of America from Her Sovereign Majesty Queen Elizabeth II":

:fool:

That was funny :lol: It dawned on me later that I never had a revolver in the first place.
Maybe it would be better to open a new thread — titled, say, "Quad Goes Boom-buntu". I mean, to keep .rpms and .debs apart from each other.
I did not have any intentions to hijack my dear Mucks thread, instead I just was responding to his post and sharing similar experience of getting frustrated.

It has been my experience that when it comes to "the buntu cycle", the x.10 releases following a LTE x.04 release (i.e. 6.10, 8.10, 10.10 and 12.10) have indeed been a bit "experimental". As things stand, my main system is running 11.10 (yeah... I am lazy.) It had worked flawlessy from day one (installed "vanilla" 64 bit Ubuntu, XFCE & Kubuntu desktops on top of it, using KDE 99.975 % of the time.) Will have to upgrade to 13.04 soon (or Mint or Debian, if need be.)
I am glad to know you also think likewise. This is the very reason I have just reformated my entire drive and installing 12.04, which I found to be extremely stable and without any glitches on my Thinkpad.

Is your "base install" Ubuntu or Kubuntu? (My assumption is that it is Ubuntu... and you have installed the "Kubuntu-desktop" meta package after the base install. Correct?
Error messages: are the crashing bits "system" or applications? Do you get them with all desktop environments? Also, given that the latest Mint also gave you a headache (as I read from another thread), have you searched for similar issues (e.g. "IBM Thinkpad <my model> Ubuntu 12.10")?
You are correct in your assumption the base install was Ubuntu 12.10 and I later installed KDE Full on top of that. The error messages were all to do with apps and not the system except one which was to do with Nautilus file manager when in KDE environment.

Next: have you tried "pure non-U-buntus"?
http://www.kubuntu.org/
http://xubuntu.org/
http://lubuntu.net/

Finally: looks like there are many options for KDE in Ubuntu's repos these days: LINKY
I am just going to install 12.04 and see how things unfold in the next week or so. After all is OK I will install the KDE Plasma desktop which is minimal and without any application. I like a few apps which are KDE native like K3B therefore it would suit it well. Right at this moment I am running the sudo command from the terminal for all the updates. Keeping my fingers crossed all goes well and I do not have to reinstall anything for a long time.

I thank you for all those links you posted, especially about the option for different KDE installs, I realised I should have checked it out earlier and instead of "KDE Full" I could have done with "KDE Plasma Desktop" which is lean instead of bloated.

I will make sure this install works out and I will not tinker or experiment with it. Any future release will have to stay on a USB stick for fun sake. Now when is 13.04 coming out:lol:

muckshifter

Reaction score
So, opensuse didn't actually use any real nVidia drivers then. some crap about it not complying to open sauce or something. (sic). :rolleyes:

Now I want to install them, but ...

how do I untick the auto-logon box that was ticked by default, and why the hell was it ticked?

When I get the BSOD (black screen of death) how do I get to a command line to 'fix' it?
Note, it's not really a screen of death, if you know what buttons to press.

... answers to these questions and more in the next episode of, "Mucks goes to Mars".

hey, and be quick with the answers, I'm waiting to reboot. :nod:

muckshifter

Reaction score
rule 1 ... do not fix something that ain't broken

rule 2 ... if you do fix something that ain't broken, be sure you can fix it

rule 3 ... or, rule 2, be sure you know how to fix what isn't broken before you attempt to fix it.

rule 4 ... insure you have all the tools needed to fix what ain't broken

rule 5 ... don't drink and drive, you'll spill it.

any one know where my opensuse DVD is ?

:user:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
rule 1 ... do not fix something that ain't broken

rule 2 ... if you do fix something that ain't broken, be sure you can fix it

rule 3 ... or, rule 2, be sure you know how to fix what isn't broken before you attempt to fix it.

rule 4 ... insure you have all the tools needed to fix what ain't broken

rule 5 ... don't drink and drive, you'll spill it.

any one know where my opensuse DVD is ?

Looks like I broke all the rules! :lol:

muckshifter

Reaction score
Today I come to the topic of 'the desktop' and its use.

The Plasma desktop shell or the Plasma Workspace, new to me, is part of KDE 4 with, of course, some OpenSuse enhancements.

KDE offers an array of different workspaces, each tailored to a different kind of workflow or computing device. Each workspace provides a modern and customizable environment for running your favorite applications and accessing your information wherever it may be. Other common attributes of the KDE workspaces include advanced window management and desktop effects, support for KDE Plasma Widgets, integrated search, hardware management and a high degree of customizability. KDE workspaces are compatible with all applications, including but not limited to those built using the KDE Development Platform.
http://www.kde.org/workspaces/

This looks really promising ... blows away no longer supported "widget" tools like Superkaramba ... shame I cant get it to work! :rolleyes:

Its only been out around the 12month mark, so I believe, maybe I'll crack it in another 12months. The simplicity of installing a widget is beyond my desktops capability. I do have one I somehow "installed", but it doesn't work. :confused:

Actually, the two I want, look really good tools, do install, however, they cannot be found by any means at my disposal ... must have a secret handshake I don't know about 'cos I can't find them to use them. Nor can the file manager. :rolleyes:

I had no problem installing and the setting up of an old favorite, GKrellM. It has not been in support since 2004, I believe. Still, it works.

Time for coffee ...

muckshifter

Reaction score
a coffee works wonders!

now then, where was I?

ah ...

# to install in plasmoids run plasmapkg --type=superkaramba -i 114504-EG-SysMon-QC.skz
karamba x=0 y=0 w=280 h=800 locked=false
defaultfont font="Arial" fontsize=10 color=255,255,255

so, that one won't/don't actually install using the new (to me) Plasmoid desktop. :rolleyes:

... and guess what, the other one is near damn it the same reason.

Don't give up the day jobs boys, you won't make any money. :)

[edit]
Ok, I stand corrected, the one I tried did indeed install, after I installed Superkarumba. I had uninstalled SK thinking it was obsolete. I was dead chuffed, however, it's a resource hog, my system crawled to an almost standstill. Shame, it had potential. :(

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
The simplicity of installing a widget is beyond my desktops capability. I do have one I somehow "installed", but it doesn't work. :confused:

Actually, the two I want, look really good tools, do install, however, they cannot be found by any means at my disposal ... must have a secret handshake I don't know about 'cos I can't find them to use them. Nor can the file manager. :rolleyes:
Took me some time, too, when I said Good Night to Gnome 2 and started with KDE 4. But once I got the hang of it...

http://userbase.kde.org/Plasma#Widgets

Note: You can not add widgets if they are locked. Open the Desktop Toolbox or the Panel Toolbox or right click on the Desktop - if you see an item labeled Unlock Widgets then select that, and then proceed to add widgets to your Desktop or your Panel.

To see the widgets that are installed on your system and ready to use open the Plasma Widget Explorer by either

• opening the Desktop Toolbox in the upper right corner of the screen and selecting Add Widgets,
  • opening the Panel Toolbox furthest to the right in the Panel and selecting Add Widgets, or
  • right clicking on the Desktop and choosing Add Widgets from the context menu.
To place a widget on the Desktop simply drag it from the Wigdet Explorer to the Desktop. To place a widget in the panel first open the Panel Toolbox and from there open the Widget Explorer (click Add Widgets), locate the widget you wish to add and drag it to the desired position in the Panel.
Here's how to install more Plasmas widgets

Here's a feature I've found to be... übercool... or überKool:

kde_virtualdesktops_settings.jpg

"Different widgets for each desktop". My desktops look like THIS — different wallpaper for each desktop (aka workspace), different set of plasmoids/widgets for eack desktop. More here:

Make Use Of KDE’s Desktop Features: Activities, Widgets & Dashboard

muckshifter

Reaction score
sorry Urmas, I edited my post.

I know all about the desktops and wabbleis and cubes and I can recite the "how to" in Cantonese ... I got tripped up by the two interesting tools, looking to replace GKrellM, (which works) with something that I don't have to startup on reboots.

AM-NV SysMonitor

and

EG-SysMon-QC

I got the first one installed, and, uninstalled it. Not bothered trying the other one. I'm gettin a bit fed up jumping through hoops.

So, what you wanna know about KDE then? :)

muckshifter

Reaction score
... your links are a better resource than mine, now I'm gonna need new eyes. :thumb:

I do like the idea of having different desktops, I'm only using a 19" monitor on this Linux box ... is a 19 Inch Iiyama Vision Master Pro 455 CRT ... had it since I was a baby. :)

muckshifter

Reaction score
Found this site which has an excellent guide with tips-n-tricks to OpenSuse 12.2 ... :)

Absolutely great for a beginner. :cool:

muckshifter

Reaction score
While I'm here and just to make things easier for you all, install Chromium if like me you really don't like Firefox ... it's OK, I personally prefer Chrome. :p

Now I can use them one-click installs too. :)

muckshifter

Reaction score
There are NO Linux drivers for the Cyborg gaming mouse range, ie; the R.A.T. None!

The mouse, sorry, RAT refuses to "click" anything, it moves, but it's dead Jim. :(

A years old 'problem' and nothing from Saitek Cyborg. Tisk Tisk. :rolleyes:

Ask a Question